View Full Version : So who's seein Beck and The Flaming Lips tonight in indy?...Sea Change opinions?

House of Bread
10-22-2002, 01:21 PM
I AM! woo....I just got Sea Change last night, and was completely blown away. I think Beck proved that he can be a great "serious" musician as well. I love it. What do you guys think of it, and what are your favorite tracks off of it? least favorite?

eyesbomb
10-22-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Siamese33
least favorite?

the whole disc

Finally an artist who magically made everyone agree, and this makes him a world-wide phenomenon in someway:
HIS LAST RECORD IS BORING TO DEATH

tweedyburd
10-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Sea Change contains some of his best work, but as a whole, I'd have to agree with the notion that the production often seems to substitute for creativity in the land of actual songwriting. A prop, so to speak. Some of his rhyme scheme and lyrics in general are so cliche and half-assed on the record.

patrick
10-22-2002, 02:28 PM
i stand by my original statement that it is a boring, boring record.

Mustard
10-22-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Siamese33
I think Beck proved that he can be a great "serious" musician as well.

I personally think he did that with Mutations.
I still need to go and pick up Sea Changes, though what I've listened to online I like. Like I said in the other post, I'm going to see him in Seattle, so yeah, I'm excited.

MachinaMan
10-23-2002, 12:49 AM
god forbid somebody admit that sea change is a good album. it's 2 popular

tweedyburd
10-23-2002, 02:27 AM
It is a good album, I just don't think it deserves the amount of praise it's getting. Beck is one of those artists that most media suck up to the moment the artist does something unconventional form their normal style. Just because he's doing something different doesn't automatically mean it's genius, despite what Rolling Stone might say.

For all its good moments, it is overwhelmingly dominated by a production that is desparate to cover up the complete blandness of some of the songs.

DamingR
10-23-2002, 09:02 AM
So did you like the show? I was there and I thought Beck sucked. That was one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time. While he did nail a couple of the newer songs, I thought his interest level in the crowd was pretty abysmal.

The Lips were great, though.

Mr. Rhinoceros
10-27-2002, 06:45 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Sea Change? I liked it better when it was called Mutations. The first two songs are pretty good but the rest of the album, like eyesbomb said, is pretty damn boring.

So I got two albums this week (the other being Chevelle, Wonder What's Next?) and both of them are duds. *sigh*</font>

Travis Meekz
10-27-2002, 10:05 AM
fuck, so it's now not cool to like sea changes??!?!?!?!

I'm fucked

sawdust restaurants
10-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Paper Tiger is better than pretty much anything I've heard this year. That song alone makes the entire album worth it. And no, it's not the five-star album RS makes it out to be, but it's still good, and I like the sincerity in it--sure, there's a whole lot of poor rhymes and a few bland songs, but it still comes off as refreshingly uncontrived, which makes me forgive him a little bit; poor rhymes work on a break-up record, which is exactly what Sea Change is. Hence the title.