View Full Version : What kind music/bands have you listened throughout your life

Enisled
10-22-2002, 03:04 AM
the first music i can ever remember liking was stuff "Thriller" and stuff i used to listen while going on vacation with the family like Simon and Garfunkel and The Who.

Then came Weird Al and a period of Naughty by Nature and Coolio.

Then sister got into Green Day and I fell in love with Dookie. Then my aunt gave me Nevermind when i was in, i think, fifth grade. Then I got BIG into Weezer.

You see, during all this time i wasn't into multiple bands at a time.

Then I got HUGE into Bush and that's all i listened to. Then the Smashing Pumpkins then Marilyn Manson and those were the 3 bands i listened to.

Then the horizons broadened through all different kinds of rock past to present. then once i completely got through that Manson phase it was OK to like rap and hip hop again. Grunge became the most important thing. I went through a brief ICP thing... heh... and i guess what i got into most recently was shit like Phish and Medeski Martin and Wood.

sure.

ChristHimself!
10-22-2002, 09:28 AM
Since I was wee I listened to Iron Maiden.. like from when I was 3 till about 12. Then I didn't listen to anything till I was about 14. Then I listened to Oasis *shiver* and shit like The Verve. Then I got into Green Day in a big way. Then I ditched music that I felt didn' t have emotion as soon as I got into the pumpkins about the age of 15 and I just constantly listened to them for about 2 or 3 years. Then I got into Radiohead, NIN and Soundgarden as well really heavily for a year or so. Around that time I met new friends who introduced me to other music like dEUS (who I'd only heard "Suds and Soda" and ... fuck ... the song that goes "three blind mice" previously from) and Jeff Buckley, then later they got me more into The Doors and The Smiths, I got into Mogwai and the pixiesaround then too... and currently one of them is getting me into Peter Gabriel. It's been very much broadened over the last couple of years (more so the last year since I got a cable modem) and introduced myself to Bjork, beck, my bloody valentine, some u2, some nirvana coz i was never that big on them really, a lot of angelo badalamenti, depeche, the chillis, 80's music in general with synths like duran or even inxs, the cure, and a bunch of other shit I can't even think of coz im not at home with my winamp playlist to guide me.

Incidentally if I press play in winamp now it would play for a week without repeating a song :D

scouse_dave
10-22-2002, 09:56 AM
i've been into:
oasis/britpop --> green day/foo fighters --> metallica/gnr -->

i'm not 'into' anything in the same way anymore...i just like music

strange_one
10-22-2002, 09:58 AM
<font color=33FFFF> I've pretty much listened to Iron Maiden from when I was 6 up until now, they are the only band I've constantly listened to since I was a young'un</font>

Planetary
10-22-2002, 12:11 PM
i've listening to both faith no more and pink floyd consistantly for well over a decade.

the smashing pumpkins are likely the next in line, at a bit over 9 years.

i've gotten into tons + tons of bands since, but those 3 have pretty much remained throughout.

i suppose i've been a full-on indie-homo for the past 4 or so years now.

Boner
10-22-2002, 02:06 PM
Beatles/Rolling Stones/The Who/The Association = Birth to Now

Depeche Mode = Age 9 to present

REM = Age 11 to present

Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam = Age 12 to present

Pumpkins = Age 13 to present

Ween = Age 14 to present

Outkast, Too Short = Age 15 to present

Oasis = Age 16 to present

Sonic Youth, Moby = Age 17 to present

Violent Femmes = Age 18 to present

Favorite other bands now = Asylum Street Spankers, Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Pat Green, Damnations TX, David Allan Coe.

peabody
10-22-2002, 02:08 PM
1994-1995 - janet jackson, mariah carey, alanis morrisette, stuff like that. boyz II men!

1995-1999 - smashing pumpkins ruled my music.

1999-now - lots of different stuff. pumpkins have kinda faded away.

smashingjj
10-23-2002, 07:21 AM
I'll write the years I discovered a band in.

1987: Rick Astley (Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you doooown...)
1990: Roxette
(sidenote: I listened to the pixies somewhere around that time peroid)

1993: a lot of top 40 stuff (ie eurohouse "bands" like 2 Unlimited...(cringe))
1994: Queen
1995: mainly Queen
1996: mainly Queen, rediscovering Rage Against The Machine
1997: most importantly Radiohead
1998: Smashing Pumpkins and many more
1999: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Skunk Anansie, Chemical Brothers, many more
2000: Radiohead again, many more
2001: Radiohead, Tool, Weezer, many more
2002: System Of A Down, Nine Inch Nails, dEUS, Badly Drawn Boy, Queens Of The Stoneage

KrazeeStacee
10-23-2002, 04:05 PM
When I was real young I liked rap...I had no idea what they were saying, but I LOOOVVVED rap...me, 5yrs old "Gramma listen to this song, its about bitches and hoes!"

I grew up on 80s pop and hair metal--from both my mom and dad.

I was into all that Mariah Carey, Real McCoy, and all that crap when I was a pre-teen.

After that I got into SP in like 94/95.

My step dad moved in with us when I was 13 and got me into Pantera, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Kings X and random other things.

When I was 15/16 my friend got me into ICP...they gradually grew on me...then a year or so later I got into Twiztid and the rest of Psychopathic Records.

I've been recently getting into Esham, and some other rap...Along with a lot of older music (thank you slugger) like Stevie Wonder, Al Green, etc...and of course Bootsy, baby.

I still listen to almost all of it (excluding the Mariah Carey mess).

Junebug
10-23-2002, 07:25 PM
from birth til 5th grade- oldies (thanks Dad) and country (thanks Mom)

5th grade- Ace of Base, Desree, all that nasty nasty stuff on the radio.

6th-8th-ummm...stuff like Counting Crows, Our Lady Peace, Oasis, Collective Soul, the Wallflowers...but started getting a little more into the alternative/ "grunge" music thing

9th-present:Pearl Jam, Beck, Blind Melon, Foo Fighters

10th-present: THE SMASHING PUMPKINS. I didn't buy a single non-SP album from august of '99 till December of '00. They were all I listened to pretty much for that whole time. They really got me into the classics like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, etc....and I also "discovered" Radiohead, Jane's Addiction, Weezer, Nirvana, and Sonic Youth. My tastes in music may be narrow, but meh it's good and it's what I like. I wish I could re-live listening to MCIS for the first time....

twice
10-24-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by peabody
1994-1995 - janet jackson, mariah carey, alanis morrisette, stuff like that. boyz II men!

1995-1999 - smashing pumpkins ruled my music.

1999-now - lots of different stuff. pumpkins have kinda faded away.

likewise...

my parents listened to a lot of oldies around the house and on road trips...sometimes i miss hearing them.

and i doubt anyone will know wtf i'm talking about, but my mother got me into rafael for a while.

fallontears
10-24-2002, 04:59 PM
My parents were always listening to old country. Even in the 1980's they hated the majority of the modern country musicians. It even increased in the 90's. So I was raised with Willie, Waylon, Merle, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr and so on. Very rich music.

My older brother listened to classic rock. So in order to be more like my brother, I too listened to classic rock. He really liked the rolling stones, so I in turn listened to the rolling stones. He also got me the beastie boys license to ill when I was 6...that was cool.