View Full Version : Say you're buying someone a DVD for a gift..

Liquid-J
09-25-2003, 04:10 PM
and you have no idea if they need widescreen or regular addition, and you can't ask them because it'd ruin the surprise. How do you decide which one to get and how much does it matter? If you get widescreen is there the option of watching it regular edition? I don't know very much about this... Thanks.

silent1
09-25-2003, 04:11 PM
just get widescreen.

ravenguy2000
09-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Some DVD's have both....like I just rented Identity and noticed that you could watch it either way.

Some DVD's have the widescreen on one side and the full on the other.

I would get them the full screen just to be sure, and then if they really like the movie that much they could just get the widescreen themselves.

Or you could do it the other way around.

Obviously, if you're buying them ******ce of Arabia, don't get them the full screen.

drtydog31
09-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Some DVDs have both. The ones that don't will have what it is somewhere on the box.

Personally, I think Widescreen is the better format. Not only do you get the full picture, but it seems that the higher end TVs are shaped to fit the Widescreen format perfectly. Not to say that whomever gets this has one or will be getting one anytime soon, but I think this could become a trend in the future. And if it is, then you will be glad you have a Widescreen DVD :D

Debaser
09-25-2003, 04:15 PM
who the hell prefers full screen over widescreen?? freekin ape men?

Boycott Graceland
09-25-2003, 04:15 PM
get them widescreen, and they can always return it if needed.

Dead
09-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Get widescreen because if they're a widescreen fan the full screen will ruin it for them. If they're a fullscreen person they probably won't care because they aren't picky.

My ex got me Evil Dead fullscreen and I had to rebuy it later when they remastered it to get a widescreen one.

Liquid-J
09-25-2003, 04:18 PM
alright, cool, concensus seems to be widescreen. if they watch it on a computer screen that's somewhat small to begin with, will widescreen make it even smaller?

ravenguy2000
09-25-2003, 04:21 PM
If they're watching it on a computer, it really doesn't matter that much either way. I would still want the widescreen, though.

Nimrod's Son
09-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Always go widescreen.