View Full Version : Yahoo Messenger Update to Block out Trillian, 3rd Party Clients

guz
09-18-2003, 09:46 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112511,00.asp

Yahoo Messenger Update Will Boot Trillian
Instant messaging services buck interoperability, reserve their networks to customers.

<font size="1">Joris Evers, IDG News Service
Tuesday, September 16, 2003</font>

Yahoo may be taking a hint from Microsoft: Pending changes to its instant messaging service will probably lock out users of third-party IM clients.

Yahoo has started notifying users of older versions of its Yahoo Messenger client that they must upgrade by September 24 or be unable to log on, says Mary Osako, a Yahoo spokesperson.

However, the change does not affect only Yahoo users. As a result of the update, third-party IM clients could also be locked out of the Yahoo IM network. Users who connect to Yahoo's network via some versions of Trillian, a popular IM client that consolidates multiple IM accounts, also are getting Yahoo's upgrade alert each time they log on.

"The upgrade likely will affect third-party clients," Osako confirms. Cerulean Studios, maker of the Trillian IM client, did not respond to a request for comment.

Upgrade Details
Upgrades are mandatory for users of Yahoo Messenger for Windows 5.0 or older versions, Yahoo Messenger for Mac 2.0 or older, or Yahoo Messenger for Unix 1.02 or older, Osako said. New versions of the software are already available from Yahoo.

The Yahoo upgrade involves an update to the company's IM protocol. It is intended to prevent abuse of Yahoo's network by senders of unsolicited instant messages, according to Osako.

"We are implementing even more aggressive measures to protect users from potential spammers. If this upgrade affects the way in which other services interact with Yahoo Messenger, it is merely a by-product of our efforts to protect our users from potential spammers," she says.

Similarly, Microsoft in August cited security issues for its plan to update MSN Messenger in October. That update also is expected to lock out third-party IM clients. Microsoft also says it simply does not want third-party clients using its network without some form of compensation.

Yahoo is willing to talk with third parties about opening up the IM community, Osako says.

"However, our update is not driven by a desire to establish business relationships with third parties," she adds.

Exclusive Clientele
Analysts believe Microsoft and Yahoo don't want third-party clients on their networks because they use their own clients to deliver advertisements and direct users to other services.

"Both Microsoft and Yahoo value the control over the clients, and the last thing they want is for their users to be using third-party clients on their networks," says Michael Gartenberg, a research director with Jupiter Research.

Graham Mudd, an analyst at ComScore Media Metrix, agrees.

"The major players see IM as a more important delivery medium and don't see any real business benefit from interoperating," he says.

---

figured it was coming eventually, but it still sucks.

Toby
09-18-2003, 09:50 PM
trillian sucks anyway.

guz
09-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Toby
trillian sucks anyway. by far the best chat client i've used. you're using.....?

Lizard Queen
09-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Trillian is a useless piece of crap.

guz
09-18-2003, 09:56 PM
right, it's a much better idea to install different chat clients for each network and run those all at once. dumbass.

Nimrod's Son
09-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Toby
trillian sucks anyway. It's better than loading 4 IM clients because one or two people you know use Yahoo.

Toby
09-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
It's better than loading 4 IM clients because one or two people you know use Yahoo. I guess its good for that, but if all you use is aim and yahoo its useless...for me anyway.

guz
09-18-2003, 09:59 PM
not to mention there are no lame ads, you can customize the skin, cool hide window features. it's much more customizable than any other client i've seen.

skippy
09-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Only gay fags use Yahoo Messenger anyway.

Orchestra
09-18-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Lizard Queen
Trillian is a useless piece of crap.
miranda is 10 times better, newbies

crescentfresh
09-18-2003, 10:11 PM
yahoo messenger is the king of messenger spam. I doubt this will do much to change anything. Only creepy people are on yahoo.

Dead
09-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Trillian rocks if you get a skin that doesn't suck. I got one that looks like a regular square windows window. The default skin is total crap though.

Andrew_Pakula
09-18-2003, 11:26 PM
I think I heard MSN is going to block Trillian too.

noyen
09-19-2003, 02:30 AM
there's a patch out for trillian already.

DeviousJ
09-19-2003, 03:51 AM
Trillian Pro's patched, the free version should be done before the switch is required... and Trillian is a quantum leap over the regular clients. I'd try Miranda but it apparently doesn't handle AIM file transfers yet

Dead
09-19-2003, 04:13 AM
Trillian told me I was missing msn.dll the other day. I don't even use it for msn stuff at all. Weird. Its also been popping up Yahoo warnings that I need to update.