View Full Version : The Billboard charts 10 years ago today...

Nate the Grate
09-09-2003, 10:40 PM
WHOO, #21!!!! (http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/ago/rewind_charts200.jsp?REWIND_YEAR=10)

Travis Meekz
09-10-2003, 12:02 AM
awesome! Smashing Pumpkins are going to be huge!!!!!!!!!

SP, SD
STP, Core
Pearl Jam, Ten
Dr. Dre, The Chronic
Clapton, Unplugged
2pac, strictly for my niggaz
Radiohead, Pablo Honey
Duran Duran

all on the same list?????????

God I miss good music.....thank God I was able and old enough to listen/buy/enjoy music back then. I feel sorry for the kids these days. They can keep their Fred Durst, Nsync and Avril.

09-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Ttravis Mmeekz

God I miss good music.....thank God I was able and old enough to listen/buy/enjoy music back then. I feel sorry for the kids these days. They can keep their Fred Durst, Nsync and Avril.

I couldn't agree more.

Smoothie
09-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Why did the mid-90s have to end?

friendly psycho
09-10-2003, 08:33 AM
I can't stand lurking any longer!

pity me! i'm 16 and just missed those glorious 90's alt rock years! Oh why???? Why was I born into the britney age with friends who like hamsterdance and avril and everywhere you turn there's another freakin hip hop 'artist' complaining about the millions they're making? For the love of God!

What wouldn't i give for an extra decade...I envy all you people who were there for the pumpkins. A era of decent music please!

The best I get is a dim memory, netphorian teasers lamenting over the years they miss and a glimpse of hope in a band called zwan.

Pity me. please.

shaniqua
09-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Smoothie
Why did the mid-90s have to end?

http://www.getcrafty.com/read/story/features/sassy/img/sassy2.jpg

Porcelina Ruby
09-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by shaunna

http://www.getcrafty.com/read/story/features/sassy/img/sassy2.jpg

and besides killing all great music, they are also killing to whole buissiness, new good bands can't get a break

Junebug
09-10-2003, 11:20 AM
oh my crap I forgot all about Sassy hahahahah.

I can't believe Pearl Jam was still in the top 30 after 250 weeks. It's so weird to see all those artists all mixed up, like Barbara Streisand and Blind Melon and Cypress Hill.

smashingjj
09-10-2003, 11:47 AM
It was the time when I started to record the top 40. I didn't know SP back then but I'm sure I would have thought it sounded loud like hell.

Axis of Action
09-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Junebug
I can't believe Pearl Jam was still in the top 30 after 250 weeks. It's so weird to see all those artists all mixed up, like Barbara Streisand and Blind Melon and Cypress Hill.

that's what made the 90's so genius!

I'd argue that there's still a good grouping of decent music today, most notably the evolution of some of the bands on that list, like Radiohead and Pearl Jam (I'm the biggest fan of Riot Act alive). Moreover, 2pac still releases stuff like he's alive (2 albums coming out this year; a remix thing and then another double-cd, plus a couple books and a movie), and then there's new greatness like Mars Volta and Audioslave. I think it's still decent time to be listening to music. Shit got shakey earlier this decade though. That, and the dumb little kids don't have the willpower to ignore stuff like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte... but oh well. We all know they'll come and go (and probably be replaced with something we equally loathe).

rubber
09-10-2003, 02:49 PM
From the list:
Billy Ray Cyrus, It Won t Be The Last

hehe ... I think it was!

Oblivious
09-10-2003, 03:30 PM
oh to be sixteen again.

Liquid-J
09-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by friendly psycho

Pity me. please.

consider yourself pitied.

alisonmonster
09-10-2003, 07:28 PM
i'm trying to work it into the brains of young kids i know to listen to some of the stuff i listened to. my sister ,who's 15 now , has been listening to MCIS ever since it came out- yeah , she was 6 and would listen to BWBW over and over.We used to play the album constantly.
Now she listens to mostly stuff like Pearl Jam , Soundgarden and zwan and of course , SP. Hey , not every kid listens to total garbage.

Sean Casey
09-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Oblivious
oh to be sixteen again.

lol i was 10

frenchy
09-11-2003, 12:51 PM
You guys only remember the good things...
In the mid 90's a lot of horrible stuffs came out :
Mariah Carey, W.Houston, Tony Braxton, Offspring, Baby Face, Janet Jackson, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boyz...

People were arguying in the mid 90's that the music was crap... it's always like that.

Don't forget that some great bands are still making some great albums right now like Deftones, Radiohead, Depeche Mode, Trail Of Dead, Tool...and you don't have to listen to what MTV is promoting.

BTW, the Pixies might do a reunion tour soon.

ZackZ
09-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Those weeks listings are not for the date of September 18, 1993, obviously. Garth Brooks got a Hot Shot Debut...after 76 weeks on the charts? Not possible.

Somebody fux0red the database lookup for the whole thing.

rawkstar
09-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by frenchy
You guys only remember the good things...
In the mid 90's a lot of horrible stuffs came out

24. Tony Toni Tone, Sons Of Soul
27. Spin Doctors, Pocket Full Of Kryptonite
29. Kris Kross, Da Bomb
33. Onyx, Bacdafucup
43. Tag Team, Whoomp! (There It Is)

ya got that right

Travis Meekz
09-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Yeah but at least there was good music on the charts then.

Old Radiohead > new radiohead
Deftones are mediocre
trail of the dead are mediocre
tool...well tool is good.

Sean Casey
09-13-2003, 11:30 AM

Deftones are mediocre

0 for 4

Travis Meekz
09-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey

0 for 4

begin my music is better than your music discussion........now

oui henri
09-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by alisonmonster
Now she listens to mostly stuff like zwan . Hey , not every kid listens to total garbage.

:erm

shaniqua
09-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by rawkstar

24. Tony Toni Tone, Sons Of Soul

Tony! Toni! Toné! rock(ed).

THRILLHO
09-13-2003, 03:13 PM
just so you guys know, the way those charts work is when you look back the total weeks and highest position columns are current. for example, garth brooks ended up spending 76 weeks on the chart but that week was his first. that's why all the 'total weeks' are so high. pearl jam hadn't already been on for 250 weeks in 1993.

Sean Casey
09-14-2003, 09:42 AM

begin my music is better than your music discussion........now

I thought you started it when you posted this:

Deftones are mediocre

hiyooooooooooooo!

rkjr
09-14-2003, 12:11 PM

I would fucking kill to have been born 7 or so years earlier.