View Full Version : i guess BC really likes Ziggy Stardust . . .

jack_kerouac03
09-07-2003, 02:51 AM
the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars movie was on tonight on IFC, so i thought i would check it out. its a live performace from July 3rd, 1973. (right before he retired the character)

this was my first time hearing any of bowie's older stuff/non radio songs, so i don't know song titles.

but - around and hour and ten mintues into the movie, they are playing a jam song, bowie is offstage for half of it. its just the 2 guitarists, and they are soloing to each other. to my suprise, they start play Le Deux Machina (the part that connects glass + the ghost children,and on machina)

I was wondering if Billy wrote Le Deux Machina, or if it was a joint effort between him and Mike Garson? - who has the solo one on the Friends + Enemies tape. (for those that don't know, Garson was with Bowie before touring with the pumpkins, and weren't the Stigmata tracks written the same time as Machina?)

But the "borrowing" doesn't end there, 2 mintues later in the song they played a *very* familiar riff - the one from Mary, Star of the Sea. the same notes from this part:

rooms full of salt
fault my pluck
and a poets charm so far, ever far
little stars that burn the holes in my soul

Has anyone else seen this? i am going to pick up a copy this week, it thought it was a great concert, and i want to see that part again

alisonmonster
09-07-2003, 04:33 PM
yup- look at If there is a God...

oclaftap
09-07-2003, 09:56 PM
yeh I was watching that too, it was fucken awesome

kevinjboconnor
09-08-2003, 01:54 AM
i knew billy wasnt really even talented!

Tessellation
09-08-2003, 01:55 AM
I caught part of that, too. Mick Ronson and Bowie had great stage chemistry.