View Full Version : Universal Music Group slashing CD prices!

JHeibel
09-04-2003, 11:00 AM
It looks like someone in the music industry finally got a clue!

http://new.umusic.com/News.aspx?NewsId=182

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/04/news/international/universal_cds/index.htm

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-09/04.shtml#story2

UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP, WORLD\'S LARGEST MUSIC COMPANY, DRAMATICALLY REDUCES CD PRICES

UMG Institutes a $12.98 Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price on Virtually all Top Line CDs

New York, NY and Santa Monica, California September 3, 2003 - Universal Music Group (UMG) announced today an aggressive plan to significantly reduce the cost consumers pay for CDs by decreasing its wholesale prices and by instituting a $12.98 Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) on virtually all top line CDs in the U.S..

UMG will introduce a new pricing policy with the aim of bringing music fans back into retail stores and driving music sales. The program, which will begin in the fourth quarter of 2003, will eliminate $16.98, $17.98 and $18.98 equivalent MSRPs. UMG believes retailers will begin offering the lower priced CDs to consumers as soon as October 1, 2003.

As part of this new policy, UMG’s labels plan to significantly increase their direct-to-consumer advertising to raise music fans’ awareness of the artists and their music.

Concurrently, UMG will also reduce its wholesale price on cassettes so its MSRP for top line releases will be $8.98.

UMG’s roster in-cludes such renowned artists as Ashanti, Mary J. Blige, blink-182, Bon Jovi, Mariah Carey, Sheryl Crow, Dr. Dre, Eminem, 50 Cent, Enrique Iglesias, India.Arie, Elton John, Diana Krall, Nelly, No Doubt, Puddle of Mudd, Reba McEntire, Stevie Wonder, Sting, t.A.T.u., Texas, Shania Twain and U2. The new pricing policy will also apply to UMG’s historic catalog of recordings which in-cludes artists such as ABBA, Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Eric Clapton, Patsy Cline, John Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Bob Marley, Nirvana, The Police, Rod Stewart, The Who, Hank Williams and the Motown catalog, which in-cludes The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes and The Jackson Five.

"Our new pricing policy will allow us to take the initiative in making music the best entertainment value and most compelling option for consumers," said Doug Morris, Chairman and CEO, Universal Music Group. "UMG is responsible for almost 30% of all album sales in the U.S. so we are uniquely positioned to try this new strategy. We strongly believe that when the prices are dramatically reduced on so many titles, we will drive consumers back to stores and significantly bolster music sales."

"Music fans will benefit from the price reductions we are announcing today," said Jim Urie, President, Universal Music & Video Distribution. "Our new pricing model will enable U.S. retailers to offer music at a much more appealing price point in comparison to other entertainment products. We are confident this pricing approach will drive music fans back into retail stores."

About Universal Music Group

Universal Music Group is the world’s leading music company with wholly-owned record operations or licensees in 71 countries. Its businesses also in-clude Universal Music Publishing Group, one of the industry’s largest global music publishing operations.

Universal Music Group consists of record labels Decca Record Company, Deutsche Grammophon, Interscope Geffen A&M Records, Island Def Jam Music Group, Lost Highway Records, MCA Nashville, Mercury Records, Mercury Nashville, Philips, Polydor, Universal Music Latino, Universal Motown Records Group, and Verve Music Group as well as a multitude of record labels owned or distributed by its record company subsidiaries around the world. The Universal Music Group owns the most extensive catalog of music in the industry, which is marketed through two distinct divisions, Universal Music Enterprises (in the U.S.) and Strategic Marketing and Commercial Affairs (outside the U.S.). Universal Music Group also in-cludes eLabs, a new media and technology division.

Universal Music Group is a unit of Vivendi Universal, a global media and communications company.

Andy /
09-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by JHeibel
"We are confident this pricing approach will drive music fans back into retail stores."

While this is no doubt good news, it's not going to help anything. Sure, seeing new discs on sale at 9.99 instead of 12.99 or 14.99 will probably lure more people into the stores (it works on me anyway, sheep that I am), I don't think it will be enough to overcome the sales "slump" and, after the initial "wow" period that consumers will go through and these prices then become the standard, we'll be back to square one.

It all comes down to quality music, music people want to hear and are willing to shell out a few bucks for- not just cheap prices on shitty music.

I say this is a strategy based on the holiday season. If sales go up for Xasm, then we might see these prices stick around for a time. But if they don't meet expectations I won't be surprised to see this rescinded by next spring.

severin
09-04-2003, 11:58 AM
well, i just can speak for myself...if they ever do that in europe i will definitly buy more cd's

Nothing/everything
09-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by severin
well, i just can speak for myself...if they ever do that in europe i will definitly buy more cd's

hell fucking yes. I'm quite fed up with paying up to 20 euros for about everything. If cd prices go down to, lets say, 12-13 euros, you'll find me down at the cd store an awful lot more.

eyesbomb
09-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by severin

JHeibel
09-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by AndySlash
I say this is a strategy based on the holiday season. If sales go up for Xasm, then we might see these prices stick around for a time. But if they don't meet expectations I won't be surprised to see this rescinded by next spring.

I was thinking the same thing. More than likely this decision is part of a Holiday marketing scheme. We'll see how long it will last.

mirrar
09-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Hyperbole

:eek:

yeah, I was checking out the Interpol cd one day, it was fucking $27 (canadian) TWENTY-SEVEN DOLLARS FOR A CD. AN AMERICAN CD, NOT AN IMPORT. WHAT THE FUCKING HELL? I COULD BUY SOMETHING USEFUL FOR $27.

hell, that's almost as much as we pay monthly for the internet. Let's see...I could buy one cd a month...or download several for a slightly higher price...gee, what will I choose?

I prefer buying cds to downloading them, I really do, but TWENTY-SEVEN FUCKING DOLLARS!!!!!!!! fuck that. the trick is to buy cds from big record stores like hmv right after they come out. if you hear something about a band and know they just put out a cd, dowload, see if you like and if you do, buy it right away before the price starts going up. I bought that album at HMV shortly after it came out last year for 15 bucks. if somethings been out a while, either look for it used or go to one of the smaller record stores in toronto, you'll probably find it for a reasonable price.

Junebug
09-04-2003, 01:34 PM
I don't care what they're doing it for at this point, I just want my CDs to cost less. 12.99 sounds like a good deal to me.

mpp
09-04-2003, 01:57 PM
i plan on purchasing two cd's very soon, the new Beulah and the new OutKast

however, this news does nothing for me b/c i would've bought them anyway

RobTheGood
09-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
the trick is to buy cds from big record stores like hmv right after they come out. if you hear something about a band and know they just put out a cd, dowload, see if you like and if you do, buy it right away before the price starts going up. I bought that album at HMV shortly after it came out last year for 15 bucks. if somethings been out a while, either look for it used or go to one of the smaller record stores in toronto, you'll probably find it for a reasonable price.

yup

i bought Mer De Noms a couple of years after it came out, and i had to pay over $25...

i probably could have found it cheaper somewhere, but that seemed to be the standard for the cd.

isn't it also because they stop printing the cds, so the stocks in the store won't be replenished?

Gumby
09-05-2003, 09:55 AM
In Australia beatles cds can be $31 aus dollars
I can get a tank og petrol for that

The Gaddrow
09-05-2003, 10:37 AM
yeah, I was checking out the Interpol cd one day, it was fucking $27 (canadian) I paid $4.99 for it new. :cool:

oui henri
09-05-2003, 10:44 AM

:eek:

yeah, I was checking out the Interpol cd one day, it was fucking $27 (canadian) TWENTY-SEVEN DOLLARS FOR A CD.
if you buy it at the HMV superstore, it's $15 (this was around 8 months ago)

i went looking around for it b/c i kept finding it at around the same price that you did.

most malls jack up the prices for some reason, so, i find that the superstore can be pretty reasonable.

oui henri
09-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by RobTheGood

i bought Mer De Noms a couple of years after it came out, and i had to pay over $25...

i found the opposite problem.
i bought the CD maybe a few months after it came out and yeah, it was $25.

i went into a CD store in the mall (music world, to be exact) and it was $18

The Gaddrow
09-06-2003, 08:45 AM
anywho, if my offered ticket works out, I'll see the show before I even own the cd. :p Fuck that then. If I know I am going to see a band and I don't have any of their albums, I always wait to get them at the show. That way you know more money goes to the artist (allegedly) instead of the clerk at HMV.

And, you should buy me a t-shirt too. Seriously. I'll paypal you the money or something.

scouse_dave
09-06-2003, 12:27 PM
these days i don't pay more than £8.50 for a CD anyway...about $14 i suppose. that's so-called "classic" cds as well...

aldango
09-07-2003, 01:53 AM
I get a bunch of CDs on BMG for like.. 3 for the price of 1 most of the time. They don't have much cool stuff but some of it is neat.

MagicPie
09-07-2003, 10:19 AM
I'd be hard pushed to pay over 8 euro for a cd,tho at times ive paid 20 for a new release etc

JHeibel
10-24-2003, 02:55 PM
UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP, WORLD\'S LARGEST MUSIC COMPANY, DRAMATICALLY REDUCES CD PRICES

UMG Institutes a $12.98 Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price on Virtually all Top Line CDs

New York, NY and Santa Monica, California September 3, 2003 - Universal Music Group (UMG) announced today an aggressive plan to significantly reduce the cost consumers pay for CDs by decreasing its wholesale prices and by instituting a $12.98 Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) on virtually all top line CDs in the U.S..

Well, I haven't noticed any change in price since they announced this. I guess most of the record stores (Tower, Virgin Mega) don't feel the need to meet their "Suggested Retail Price". Who's to blame now?

Boycott Graceland
10-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Well, I haven't noticed any change in price since they announced this. I guess most of the record stores (Tower, Virgin Mega) don't feel the need to meet their "Suggested Retail Price". Who's to blame now?
actually, i went to tower about a week ago and noticed a drastic difference in a lot of the prices. most were about $12.99. which is not great, but better than $19.99. i got london calling (new) for about $9.50, as well.

JHeibel
10-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland

actually, i went to tower about a week ago and noticed a drastic difference in a lot of the prices. most were about $12.99. which is not great, but better than $19.99. i got london calling (new) for about $9.50, as well.

Yeah, but "London Calling" has been on sale for a while now at Tower. A ton of other, non-Universal artists are always on sale at Tower too. I still see $18.99 prices at the Tower in Dallas.

Nimrod's Son
10-24-2003, 05:40 PM
oh yeah...add 15% of $27 to that total so see what I'd have to pay with taxes *******d. Holy fuck.. you have a <i>15%</i> sales tax, too?