View Full Version : internship

T.G. Clown
09-03-2003, 11:04 PM
I applied for two internships at art galleries. How was your internship interview and experience?

Boy, I hope I get at least one...

lucky_13
09-03-2003, 11:18 PM
i've applied to about 20. i've only been contacted by one. i've had 3 internships in the past. 2 wanted to hire me but i was still in school.

T.G. Clown
09-03-2003, 11:23 PM
wow, 20?!!!!!!!

i guess i shouldn't stop looking... YOu see, I live near NYC and I am afraid that I won't fit in with the city art gallery people. :(

Where did you intern?

lucky_13
09-03-2003, 11:27 PM
apply to as many as you can. there can be hundreds applying to those positions depending where they post them.

i've interned at two indie labels and a theater pr firm. right now i'm applying to anything entertainment or advertising. nothing.

Toby
09-03-2003, 11:52 PM
I'm applying as an intern at FOX13 for next summer.

sleeper
09-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by lucky_13
i've applied to about 20. i've only been contacted by one. i've had 3 internships in the past. 2 wanted to hire me but i was still in school.

same with me almost. over the summer i must have applied to around 30 magazines, zines, weeklies, dailies, you name it - and have been contacted with no's from about 10, contacted with references from 3, contacted once sucessfully, and completely ignored all the rest. the ignore one is what really gets to you. id prefer to have them answer with a no than with nothing. all i know, is that the saying that "its who you know" is getting more and more true, and things are looking depressing. ill see how far i can get without partaking in this idea

BlueStar
09-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Yep, apply for as many internships as you can. Internship interviews aren't all that different from regular job interviews. You need to show them that you have some experience (through education and prior internships/jobs), that you have a serious interest in that field (because of your education and your future career goals). Emphasize how you are looking to gain more experience, that you want to learn more about the field, and that you are responsible and a quick learner.

Travis Meekz
09-04-2003, 03:48 PM
I got an internship from just sending out a resume a few years ago to a random company. First one I tried and they accepted it. It was a very easy interview, just over the phone and I got the job. My boss kicked ass. I'm sure that your interview will be a bit harder. Just relax during them and realize that it's not the end of the world if it goes bad. Also, send out a ton of resumes if you're in NYC. Good luck man.

BlueStar
09-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Ttravis Mmeekz
I got an internship from just sending out a resume a few years ago to a random company.

That's a good point. That's what I used to do too. Don't send your resume just to places that have advertised internships...send them to anywhere you would be interested in working.

SuckSuckStyle
09-04-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm trying to get one in Nairobi for the UN

mpp
09-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by BlueStar
Yep, apply for as many internships as you can. Internship interviews aren't all that different from regular job interviews. You need to show them that you have some experience (through education and prior internships/jobs), that you have a serious interest in that field (because of your education and your future career goals). Emphasize how you are looking to gain more experience, that you want to learn more about the field, and that you are responsible and a quick learner.

how did you get started? like, really started?

a lucky break? knew someone?

BlueStar
09-04-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by mpp

how did you get started? like, really started?

a lucky break? knew someone?

Like how? I don't feel like I am started.

Nothing has been through knowing someone (other than my 1st White House internship which I got through one of my professors...which was my first real political experience outside of volunteering for campaigns). I don't think I've had any lucky breaks either. It's just been built around getting the education, getting the internships, volunteering for every campaign possible, etc.