View Full Version : Blissed and Gone would have been a great closer for Adore

thebunk
08-27-2003, 02:18 AM
Just got done listening to Adore and then Blissed and Gone (studio version) shortly therafter and cannot help to think that Blissed would have been a great closer for Adore. The song would follow Blank Page perfectly (get rid of 17 completely) plus it and To Shiela would provide great bookends to the album.

Any thoughts?

Sapphire
08-27-2003, 02:41 AM
Just listened to it again, and yes, I would have to agree, Blissed and Gone would be a wonderful song to close Adore with.

17 in my opinion was a waste. It made the album feel incomplete in my eyes. All of the Smashing Pumpkins other albums have had great closers including DayDream, Luna, Age of Innocence (especially) and Farewell and Goodnight (I think that's what they named the MCIS one).

Adore was great in concept, and in most aspects it was pulled off flawlessly, but there were one or two things that seemed to be off. Namely Jimmy's absence, and I never liked the closing myself. I mean, Blank Page was an excellent song, but 17 just didn't make any sense to me. It felt as if it were an incomplete thought, which I would find out later was correct, seeing that it's just a piece cut out of another song.

Either way, Blissed and Gone is a great song. :)

Ugly
08-27-2003, 09:39 AM
I think Blank Page is a beautiful way to end the album. 17 is just a tacked on track compliment to the song as far as I'm concerned.

DeadOpera
08-27-2003, 10:32 AM
I might be wrong, but i can't help to think that blissed + gone was supposed to be the last track on the album. Adore is a long CD, especially if that song was added. I really don't think there was enough space on the disk for another long song. That's why 17 is really blissed + gone, and is short.

MstrGhost
08-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ugly
I think Blank Page is a beautiful way to end the album. 17 is just a tacked on track compliment to the song as far as I'm concerned.

In the 2lp you don't even have 17 seconds, side D is just a blank vinyl side, It compliments really blank page in another way.

smashingjj
08-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by MstrGhost

In the 2lp you don't even have 17 seconds, side D is just a blank vinyl side, It compliments really blank page in another way. i wonder, how much music can you put on an LP? my LP that lasts longest is 60 mins. does the quality decrease if it lasts longer?

Nidhogg
08-27-2003, 01:27 PM
I think it's perfect the way it is. Blank Page as the real closer, then just this pretty little piano part. Nothing wrong with that. I think that Blank Page is a much better closer for Adore than Blissed and Gone.

Diamond Dream
08-28-2003, 05:34 PM
17 is just a tease of Blissed and Gone.. a tease in a bad way. I mean if your not gonna put a complete version of a song you shouldn't put nothing at all especially not a 17 second tease of a great song.

DeviousJ
08-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by smashingjj
i wonder, how much music can you put on an LP? my LP that lasts longest is 60 mins. does the quality decrease if it lasts longer?

Nah, only if you had to slow it down

mercurial
08-28-2003, 07:41 PM
To put more program onto vinyl you need to limit the groove width to the barest minum possible and reduce the speed.

This can be problematic ... increased inner groove distortion, poorer constant linear velocity, and phasing problems due to the way stereo has to be encoded.

It is accepted that the best use of the medium would be one song per side encoded in mono into a really thick, solid piece of vinyl.

However we are used to stereo and so it's nto generally viable in that sense, and one song per side is impractical for albums.

MstrGhost
08-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by mercurial
To put more program onto vinyl you need to limit the groove width to the barest minum possible and reduce the speed.

This can be problematic ... increased inner groove distortion, poorer constant linear velocity, and phasing problems due to the way stereo has to be encoded.

It is accepted that the best use of the medium would be one song per side encoded in mono into a really thick, solid piece of vinyl.

However we are used to stereo and so it's nto generally viable in that sense, and one song per side is impractical for albums.

exactly, 12" 45rpm is the best you can have since these have 1 or 2 songs per side. I can't recommend too much the Stand Inside Your love 12" promo. The song completely fills the side (groove has way big with too, it's easy to "see" the song) and sound quality is amazing, stereo separation is good too, oh and the drumming sounds wayyyyyyyy better than in any other release. Amazing record, really.

edit:

Other advantage or more width and speed is much less noise, I'm on a moving coile cartridge (, not moving magnet, the snr is much much better, but dust and those kind of noises are really much more amplified than using standard moving magnet type. 45rpm Vinyl can take much more dust and scuffs without affecting sound, my old late 70's joy division ep's almost have no noise with some light and old dust, when new 33rpm have much more noise, as I've said, on a moving coile you have MUCH more noise (.4mV and only is 1.2-1.7g the price for better definition...oh well, vinyls last longer) and these small things really matter.

metal mercy
08-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Someone once told me they were an SP fan, some jock dude, and said off the top of his head that 17 was his favorite song. It's like, dude, you ass, you don't even listen to SP, don't pretend. I have an affinity for Sweet, Sweet, but at least that's over a minute long.

Ugly
08-29-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by metal mercy
Someone once told me they were an SP fan, some jock dude, and said off the top of his head that 17 was his favorite song. It's like, dude, you ass, you don't even listen to SP, don't pretend.

Apparently he does listen to SP if he can name 17. He was joking w/ you.

metal mercy
08-29-2003, 12:37 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention he was holding a copy of Adore at the time. :rolleyes:

bonsor
08-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by smashingjj
i wonder, how much music can you put on an LP? my LP that lasts longest is 60 mins. does the quality decrease if it lasts longer? adore fits on three sides because it's in mono.

Unregistered
08-29-2003, 05:39 PM
I was under the impression that 17 intentionally cuts off sorta to imply the sense of incompleteness that comes with death. That lives don't come to a close like a song does, they just suddenly stop without so much as a grand finale. < /metaphor>

DoctaSoma
08-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I was under the impression that 17 intentionally cuts off sorta to imply the sense of incompleteness that comes with death. That lives don't come to a close like a song does, they just suddenly stop without so much as a grand finale. < /metaphor>
http://www.pacult.com/imgs/wall/yousuck.gif