View Full Version : I need guitar help for soma live...

Porcelina Ruby
08-26-2003, 07:32 AM
does anyone has well written tabs for the distortian solo? And also some one who can play it??
pls..

thebaconpress
08-26-2003, 09:38 AM
http://www.spfc.org/data/music/gtab/soma-1.tab

If that isn't of help, I have another way of playing it.

Porcelina Ruby
08-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by thebaconpress
http://www.spfc.org/data/music/gtab/soma-1.tab

If that isn't of help, I have another way of playing it.

but that's the studio version, I need live version from earphoria the solo is lightly different

Thoughtless
08-29-2003, 07:26 PM
i could probably tab it with a little bit of time, but billy improvises all the time. it shouldn't be that hard to pull off a good sounding version. quiet solo before the loud part is in e min/g maj, big solo alternates between 1 bar of c# min/e maj, then one bar of e min/g maj.

and i will shamelessly self-promote my powertabs at www.powertabs.net (name: markdude), where i've tabbed a lot of pumpkins stuff, including studio soma. and no, i'm not a lame book copier, since the book isn't completely detailed, i use the book as a starting point, and try to perfect the songs as much as possible.

Porcelina Ruby
08-30-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Thoughtless
i could probably tab it with a little bit of time, but billy improvises all the time. it shouldn't be that hard to pull off a good sounding version. quiet solo before the loud part is in e min/g maj, big solo alternates between 1 bar of c# min/e maj, then one bar of e min/g maj.

and i will shamelessly self-promote my powertabs at www.powertabs.net (name: markdude), where i've tabbed a lot of pumpkins stuff, including studio soma. and no, i'm not a lame book copier, since the book isn't completely detailed, i use the book as a starting point, and try to perfect the songs as much as possible.

thx, I didn't know billy improvisis, I always tought he just maps out a solo and always uses it then...

Reyngel
08-30-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Porcelina Ruby

thx, I didn't know billy improvisis, I always tought he just maps out a solo and always uses it then...

It depends on the song. Some solos are definitely used note for note when played live, each and every time. Whereas there are other solos that he always improvises. The solo in Soma is kind of a mix of both. Most of the time, Billy doesn't improvise it, and tries as best he can to play it like the album version. Once in a while, he'll throw in a slight change, but overall, it's the same structure and notes. Same with Geek USA. The structure is mostly the same everytime he plays it live, but it's also a pretty difficult solo, or so I've heard, to replicate well time and time again. So he may mess up once in a while, and improvise off the error, and that's what gives it that different feel. But if you look at the solo in Cherub Rock, most of the time, especially in the later Pumpkin years, the solo is always improvised. Same with Zero. And that's another thing to keep in mind. Soon after a song is recorded in the studio, you'll notice that the band tries to play it live the way they tried to record it. And over time, they begin to improvise, and generate new ideas that make the song better. So when you say that the solo in Soma is improvised, or when you say it's planned... a lot of it depends on the time that they play it. Take Zero for example. Around 1995, 1996, etc, the solo was, for the most part, the same from night to night. Later, though, you notice the solo is completely improvised and different.