View Full Version : Radiohead's "There There" video and MCIS

metal mercy
08-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Does anyone notice the striking resembalance between the kitty/owl/whatever wedding in the video and the Pumpkins' painting in the MCIS booklet?

Intentional, d'ya think? IF not, billy should sue the director, much as I love Radiohead. lol :D

Sapphire
08-25-2003, 11:45 PM
You noticed that too, huh?

I was thinking, "Either Radiohead is doing a tribute, or they're stealing ideas, either way... no one will really care..."

metal mercy
08-25-2003, 11:50 PM
My two favorite bands, who are great admirers of each OTHER...I CARE! :D And I think it must be a tribute, maybe Thom trying to say something about how much SP was underrated (which all of Radiohead, especially Ed O'Brien, has said in interviews) or their split. Either way, it sure is cool. :D Kittie wedding!

Enzed
08-26-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Sapphire
You noticed that too, huh?

I was thinking, "Either Radiohead is doing a tribute, or they're stealing ideas, either way... no one will really care..."

:noway:

It's hardly an original idea...

Ihaman
08-26-2003, 04:36 AM
i can pull about 200 books off the shelf in my local library that have the same illustrations.

the pumpkins are not the innovators of it

Ihaman
08-26-2003, 04:37 AM
btw you people are THICK

Sapphire
08-26-2003, 06:07 AM
Of course I know they're not the innovators of it. I've seen that style plastered throughout German culture for my whole life. I consider it a European thing, which I believe it is.

I'm just saying, that's the first band playing in the States (or the world for that matter), that I've seen use that imagery. Whose songs do have some corralation to it. Also, the songs and the imagery in the booklet produce a pleasant feeling when combined.

Hell yeah, I would love to think of it as a tribute. I've only got several recordings on my computer of concerts where the Pumpkins and Radiohead played together, so I know that they were on great terms with one another.

A tribute it is then... ;)

Dead
08-26-2003, 06:10 AM
I didn't think of that, and also I really doubt it has anything to do with the MCIS booklet.

Rider
08-26-2003, 07:32 AM
It's all part of the machina mystery. BIlly, Manson and Thom got together 15 years ago and planned the whole thing out.

Seriously not everything has to do with the pumpkins.

wounded
08-26-2003, 10:36 AM
yeah it reminds me of it.
and radiohead are well aware of the pumpkins existance, they even said they liked their work

but it has absolutely nothing to do with the pumpkins.

The Gaddrow
08-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Ihaman
you people are THICK

Injektilo
08-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Sapphire
I've only got several recordings on my computer of concerts where the Pumpkins and Radiohead played together, so I know that they were on great terms with one another.

no, you don't.
You probably have a crapload of mislabeled MP3s.
There were rumors of a show in 92 in England somewhere where radiohead opened for SP at one show, but other than that (if its true) then the two bands have never played together.

wounded
08-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Injektilo

no, you don't.
You probably have a crapload of mislabeled MP3s.
There were rumors of a show in 92 in England somewhere where radiohead opened for SP at one show, but other than that (if its true) then the two bands have never played together.

i thought i saw a flyer for that show, or a picture of one. then again that could have been fake as well. but i still think this is entirely feesable. radiohead would be just starting out.

wangcomputers
08-26-2003, 12:03 PM
radiohead and SP played at glastonbury festival 98, but i don't think on the same days.

and yeah, the rh video has absolutely nothing to do with SP. You people have a fallacious view of SP's influence; Radiohead don't care in the least about SP. The first three posts in this thread illustrate demented SP fans at the height of their potency.

Porcelina Ruby
08-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by wangcomputers
radiohead and SP played at glastonbury festival 98, but i don't think on the same days.

and yeah, the rh video has absolutely nothing to do with SP. You people have a fallacious view of SP's influence; Radiohead don't care in the least about SP. The first three posts in this thread illustrate demented SP fans at the height of their potency.

good answer

zerozwan
08-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by metal mercy
And I think it must be a tribute, maybe Thom trying to say something about how much SP was underrated...

:eek: :erm :noway:

Dead
08-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Rider
Manson
This just made me remember a dream I had last night about marilyn manson's head being in my house and it would jump around and I would have to chase it. Then he was a full Manson later in the dream and I was hanging out with him. Thats pretty fucked up. :D

Injektilo
08-26-2003, 05:53 PM
I just checked http://www.greenplastic.com/gigography/index.php?year=1992 which says on Sept 13 1992 Radiohead opened for SP, but the SPFC says SP played that show on the 12th. Sounds like someone is confused, but it seems like they played one show together anyway. SPFC says nothing about RH opening for them.

Cecil
08-26-2003, 06:13 PM
This is just another example of people I see on this board who I think are way too obsessed with the concept of "ripping-off" ideas...like there is no reason for the same idea Ever being used more than once. :rolleyes:

Mason R Butler
08-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Billy was a pioneer of owl/kitty unions. Even when Canada wouldn't support that shit, Billy was behind it.

I salute you, Billy Corgan.

Reyngel
08-26-2003, 06:17 PM
When I first saw the video, I was definitely reminded of the MCIS artwork, but that's only because I'm a Pumpkins fan.

There There and MCIS have nothing to do with each other.

Nova
08-26-2003, 09:04 PM
My two favorite bands, who are great admirers of each OTHER...I CARE! And I think it must be a tribute, maybe Thom trying to say something about how much SP was underrated (which all of Radiohead, especially Ed O'Brien, has said in interviews) or their split. Either way, it sure is cool. Kittie wedding!
When, may I ask, did they say this? I want to see! Is it online?

I saw Radiohead in Akron last week... they fucking rocked.

Age Of Empathy
08-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Hyperbole
oh, jesus.

you said it well Christina.

mirrar
08-26-2003, 11:46 PM
i fucking LOVE that video.

pyramidsonmars
08-27-2003, 01:15 AM
oh, jesus.

Couldn't ask for a better way to sum it all up

oui henri
08-27-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
i fucking LOVE that video.

i don't like when he turns into a tree.

RobTheGood
08-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Cecil
This is just another example of people I see on this board who I think are way too obsessed with the concept of "ripping-off" ideas...like there is no reason for the same idea Ever being used more than once. :rolleyes:

agreed.

"ripping-off" is what people do to the pumpkins. "influenced by" is what the pumpkins do to other people.

It's freedom fighter vs. terrorists.

DeviousJ
08-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Mason R Butler
Billy was a pioneer of owl/kitty unions. Even when Canada wouldn't support that shit, Billy was behind it.

I salute you, Billy Corgan.

DeviousJ
08-27-2003, 04:03 PM
I didn't click my sig :o

pyramidsonmars
08-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Oh God! The...scrolling...words....and then...mouse...over top...music...ahehaehAEHAH