View Full Version : WHOA! Pennies on the radio


Diamond Dream
08-24-2003, 09:40 PM
I heard Pennies on the radio today while I was coming home from work. This is trully one of my favorite SP songs and the idea of hearing it on the radio never crossed my mind before. Pretty cool huh? :D

What about you guys... did you ever hear a Pumpkins song on the radio that wasn't a single?

Netphorian Gadabout
08-24-2003, 09:46 PM
A college radio station was playing some live Arising! stuff like May 99 around here.

On a commercial station I did hear Bodies and TAFH [the latter being during a charity thing where for $5 you could get any song played you wanted] once.

STRTG
08-24-2003, 10:44 PM
just give it a few more years and anyone who gets 93.3FM (University of Guelph radio) will be in love with my show

Transformer
08-24-2003, 10:50 PM
This probably doesn't count...but triple j did a "j file" on the band which was a three hour tribute a few years back....

none the less...we did get spiteface, east, jennifer ever, there it goes....xyu live, ruby live. Now thats cool!

Diamond Dream
08-24-2003, 11:14 PM
I heard Let Me Give The World to You M2 version once!

siamesegod
08-24-2003, 11:14 PM
well i heard "try" (alt) last week from our local radio station...

Dead
08-25-2003, 12:03 AM
I once heard Muzzle on the radio.

EDIT: I know it was a radio single.

TimRoss
08-25-2003, 12:46 AM
I heard Real Love in a bar once.

Dead
08-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Is that Stan Lee in your avatar? :p

Age Of Empathy
08-25-2003, 12:55 AM
I heard Where Boys Fear to Tread on a huge Toronto radio station (102.1 the edge) which is apparently one of the most top 10 listened to radio stations in the world. I phoned the VJ that played it and he just said "well I always liked that song, so I thought it'd be cool to have it on".

zerozwan
08-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by STRTG
just give it a few more years and anyone who gets 93.3FM (University of Guelph radio) will be in love with my show
another guelphite??!! :rockon:

Dead
08-25-2003, 01:16 AM
I was working in an office for a few weeks and I would listen to either Edge or that 107 one, can't remember. And they would have this all request noon and I would submit Mayonaise every day through their website and they never played it but they would play Untitled every afternoon. I think it was 107 or whatever that rock station is. So that was crappy.

DeadOpera
08-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Edge 102 is great for playing SP songs that aren't singles.
I've heard mayonaise a few times, around the time machina came out. I've also heard snail and bury me both at the kingdom.
I'll hear landslide once in a while but thats like a single or promo isn't it? muzzle is a rare one but a single too, i hear that one and other stuff which i can't recall. It's refreshing to hear that stuff instead of bwbw all the fuckin time.

RobTheGood
08-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by DeadOpera
Edge 102 is great for playing SP songs that aren't singles.
I've heard mayonaise a few times, around the time machina came out. I've also heard snail and bury me both at the kingdom.
I'll hear landslide once in a while but thats like a single or promo isn't it? muzzle is a rare one but a single too, i hear that one and other stuff which i can't recall. It's refreshing to hear that stuff instead of bwbw all the fuckin time.

I went to the kingdom last friday, and i'll never go back. Too many teenagers for my liking.

But whenever i'm at the pheonix, or listening to the radio on friday night, I don't hear anything other than Zero or Bullet..

but edge did play the 3rd part of the smashing pumpkins ongoing history of new music sunday morning -- i woke up to the metro show rocket :)

DeadOpera
08-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by RobTheGood


I went to the kingdom last friday, and i'll never go back. Too many teenagers for my liking.

But whenever i'm at the pheonix, or listening to the radio on friday night, I don't hear anything other than Zero or Bullet..

but edge did play the 3rd part of the smashing pumpkins ongoing history of new music sunday morning -- i woke up to the metro show rocket :)


Yeah the kingdom has been sucking the last year, and it is a younger crowd 19 - 22. but damn the T&A is great in the retro room.

Dead
08-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah Landslide was a radio single like Drown and Muzzle. I have never seen a radio promo cd of it anywhere, weird.

ZackZ
08-25-2003, 02:58 PM
They played Frail and Bedazzled and The Last Song on 107.5 the buzz in Houston back in like '97.

Ugly
08-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by DeadOpera



Yeah the kingdom has been sucking the last year, and it is a younger crowd 19 - 22. but damn the T&A is great in the retro room.

I havenít been there once this summer, hit it up fairly regularly the past two though. The chicks in the retro room are hot, sure, but when you go in there its like every single freakin club Iíve been too ever. I like Kingdom cuz itís a different than most. And they throw money at the crowd.

I rule the cash grab, BTW. I even scored a free copy of ďAmnesiacĒ when I was there. Thankfully it was free cuz if I had paid for it, I would have been pissed.

Dead
08-25-2003, 06:37 PM
I wasn't counting Alan Cross's specials. He played a bunch of mp3 sourced crap by SP like Rocket from paul baker's metro. But it was all incomplete clips.

love minus zero
08-25-2003, 10:59 PM
I heard Pissant on an Alan Cross special about B-sides, also our radio station here played a lot of You're All I've Got Tonight when Aeroplane boxset came out. And Pug got some airplay too, one of DJs kept saying it should have been the next single ..

Dead
08-26-2003, 05:19 AM
He did this 3 disc 3 part thing called "The Smashing Pumpkins: An Epitaph" that aired in April 2001. He's a total jackass. He goes on this 5 minute story about how Strollin' (I know thats not the real title but I like it) is a demo of 1979. He says everything like he's a smartass genius with a ton of knowledge but he just gets it all from reading the web before his show. And he gets a lot of stuff wrong. How annoying. Someone needs to pimpslap that guy.

At least he makes leet trades for pre-broadcast crap sometimes though. :cool:

Dead
08-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Age Of Empathy
on a huge Toronto radio station...I phoned the VJ
http://members.rogers.com/deadhero/samrt.jpg

Thanks to Brandon for pointing out this great dissing opportunity

Example
08-26-2003, 05:32 PM
I've heard Heartsongs on the radio twice!!!!!!

RobTheGood
08-27-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Ugly


I havenít been there once this summer, hit it up fairly regularly the past two though. The chicks in the retro room are hot, sure, but when you go in there its like every single freakin club Iíve been too ever. I like Kingdom cuz itís a different than most. And they throw money at the crowd.

Go to the pheonix on saturday nights. it's 1000000 times better.


I was at the kingdom about 5 years ago, and during the cash grap i got gum stuck in my hair AND lost my watch. It was fucking annoying as hell, and all for like $5 or a new cellphone or something.

What's with all the smoke and shit though? There was a few times when i couldn't see my hand infront of my face because i was surrounded by smoke.

Fallon
08-27-2003, 05:56 PM
i was wathcing the last 5 mins of OC last night (a show on fox), and they played to shiela. It was marvelous.

Edit- nevermind, someone already made a thread about it...

Nate the Grate
08-28-2003, 04:42 PM
I heard "El Sol" in the Gap. :erm

alisonmonster
08-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by STRTG
just give it a few more years and anyone who gets 93.3FM (University of Guelph radio) will be in love with my show

eeeexcellent

alisonmonster
08-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Dead
He did this 3 disc 3 part thing called "The Smashing Pumpkins: An Epitaph" that aired in April 2001. He's a total jackass. He goes on this 5 minute story about how Strollin' (I know thats not the real title but I like it) is a demo of 1979. He says everything like he's a smartass genius with a ton of knowledge but he just gets it all from reading the web before his show. And he gets a lot of stuff wrong. How annoying. Someone needs to pimpslap that guy.

At least he makes leet trades for pre-broadcast crap sometimes though. :cool:

I bought Alan Cross' History of Alternatve Music- which *******s SP of course..... and it really sucked , i can;t believe i bought that. the History of New Music is usually entertaining and occassionally informative , but that guy has nothing original to say EVER.

Dead
08-29-2003, 02:47 PM
You bought it?

alisonmonster
08-29-2003, 05:11 PM
yeah- he has a print version-each book dedicated to a specific time in 21st century music. He has an alternative rock book ( iggy pop , velvet underground , nirvana , kraftwerk , etc.) and i think a punk book as well as a few more published. His books are based on his show- i just e mailed Alan Cross through The Edge website and he told me where i could buy them- i got mine at The Beat Goes On.

They're ok books , a few of the facts are skewed though- but i guess they're an okay point to start from if you're unfamiliar with the bands he talks about.

tristessa
08-29-2003, 05:42 PM
pennies on the radio????? what station was that??? i would seriously be SHOCKED if i heard that song on the radio.

Diamond Dream
08-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by tristessa
pennies on the radio????? what station was that??? i would seriously be SHOCKED if i heard that song on the radio.

99.9 The Buzz... in Montreal.

tristessa
08-29-2003, 05:53 PM
damn that must have been an amazing surprise. i wish there were more radio stations that played non single songs; they really make fans' jaws drop

Nothing/everything
08-29-2003, 05:56 PM
d00ds, guess what? i have all these songs on cd!11!!1 how cool's that?