View Full Version : i read somewhere that MCIS was cut from 31 songs to 28 at the last minute

THRILLHO
08-23-2003, 02:31 PM
so which songs do you think almost were on the record?

my guesses:
said sadly (original b-side to BWBW... would've been perfect on the album.)
set the ray to jerry (there's that story where bolly wanted it on and he trusted flood's mere opinion to leave it off for whatever reason)
infinite sadness (was simply on the vinyl. what the hell else would it have been recorded for? i guess it would've been the last track or maybe first track on the 2nd disc or something)

Ugly
08-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Ugly was on there, Billy was driving in the car w/ Flood and Flood said no.

I think Medelina of the Grey Skies might have been on there too.

sosnumculfer
08-23-2003, 03:04 PM
it was

ugly
cherry
infinite sadness

List On Fork
08-23-2003, 03:10 PM
no, it was

ugly
cherry
tonite reprise

the_marked
08-23-2003, 03:12 PM
i don't think tonite reprise woulda been on it

jack_kerouac03
08-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by the_marked
i don't think tonite reprise woulda been on it

"Originally slated to go on towards the end of the Mellon Collie album, this one was hacked off in the name of 'When is enough too much?' I had just come back from the Chicago Bulls' tragic loss to the Orlando Magic in the playoffs, and was very depressed. My voice was hoarse from so much shouting. Flood threw up his famous mikes, and I just did it live. I used my trusty Gibson acoustic, with the rusty strings." -BC (Guitar World 1/97)

http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/song.html?song_id=183&song_type=1

jack_kerouac03
08-23-2003, 03:25 PM
ugly

"Started as an album song until the very last moment, when Mellon Collies was cut from 31 to 28 songs, this is an interesting interpretation of what had essentially been an acoustic song. Flood and I tried about four different versions before settling on this one [see Queen's Hot Space album]. One version that I liked was just me and a distorted guitar. But in the end this version won, only to be mixed into eternal obscurity as a B-side." -BC (Guitar World 1/97)

Toby
08-23-2003, 03:56 PM
You guys are so smart!

THRILLHO
08-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by jack_kerouac03
ugly

"Started as an album song until the very last moment, when Mellon Collies was cut from 31 to 28 songs, this is an interesting interpretation of what had essentially been an acoustic song. Flood and I tried about four different versions before settling on this one [see Queen's Hot Space album]. One version that I liked was just me and a distorted guitar. But in the end this version won, only to be mixed into eternal obscurity as a B-side." -BC (Guitar World 1/97)

ahahhaha that was the article that inspired this thread and i completley forgot reading about ugly. wooo! thread closed!

Boycott Graceland
08-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by THRILLHO
ahahhaha that was the article that inspired this thread and i completley forgot reading about ugly. wooo! thread closed!
you were 0 for 3, duder.

THRILLHO
08-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland

you were 0 for 3, duder.

no, are we sure about cherry? i remember in that article bolly c. mentions regretting never putting more effort into making it an album track, nothing about it actually being cut from the album. i think the 3rd song was infinite sadness, putting me at a stunning 33% accuracy rating.

Boycott Graceland
08-23-2003, 05:44 PM
i think the 3rd song was infinite sadness, putting me at a stunning 33% accuracy rating.
that's still an F-.

THRILLHO
08-23-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland

that's still an F-.

not according to the thread rating.

wangcomputers
08-23-2003, 06:25 PM
one was ride a black zwan.

the_marked
08-23-2003, 09:41 PM

"Originally slated to go on towards the end of the Mellon Collie album, this one was hacked off in the name of 'When is enough too much?' I had just come back from the Chicago Bulls' tragic loss to the Orlando Magic in the playoffs, and was very depressed. My voice was hoarse from so much shouting. Flood threw up his famous mikes, and I just did it live. I used my trusty Gibson acoustic, with the rusty strings." -BC (Guitar World 1/97)

http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/song.html?song_id=183&song_type=1

I stand corrected.

So it's Ugly, Tonite Reprise, and...?

Slurpee
08-23-2003, 09:44 PM
The third was set the ray to jerry. that's the song flood said "no" to on the final night, when they were listening to the record in the car.

machinaddict
08-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Slurpee
The third was set the ray to jerry. that's the song flood said "no" to on the final night, when they were listening to the record in the car.
I thought this story involved the tracklisting for siamese dream?
The memory is a little fuzzy.

Toby
08-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by machinaddict

I thought this story involved the tracklisting for siamese dream?
The memory is a little fuzzy. :erm

Crono
08-24-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Slurpee

Billy wanted it on, but I don't think they ever planned for it to be on the record. Tonight reprise, ugly, and infinite saddness, as has been mentioned before. I believe that the vinyl tracklist is more or less what they originally shot for except for Ugly's exclusion. I want a good copy of the distorted guitar version of Ugly, too. I know I have a instrumental demo somewhere, but that's just not enough.

Boycott Graceland
08-24-2003, 05:41 AM

not according to the thread rating.
MWARRR

Junebug
08-24-2003, 11:31 AM
to quote the spfc:

"Another remnant of a distant Siamese Dream past, 'Set the Ray to Jerry' was first written somewhere during the Gish tour. It's always been a band favorite, and seemingly only the band's, because no one ever mentions it. A sweet, simple song featuring only bass, drums, and some delayed James guitar. One night Flood and I put everything we had on a couple of tapes (about 40 songs) and just drove around Chicago until 3:30 in the morning deciding what was on or off the album. When we listened to 'Set the Ray,' it really moved me, but when I looked over to Flood he just shook his head no. That was the end of 'Set the Ray' on the album, because I trust Flood's opinion so much." -BC (Guitar World 1/97)

thebaconpress
08-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Crono

I want a good copy of the distorted guitar version of Ugly, too. I know I have a instrumental demo somewhere, but that's just not enough.

I am with you on this. Who loves us?

Enzed
08-24-2003, 05:26 PM
ugly

Flood and I tried about four different versions before settling on this one [see Queen's Hot Space album].

I 'm intrigued by this comment - what has Ugly got to do with a Queen album?

thebaconpress
08-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Enzed

I 'm intrigued by this comment - what has Ugly got to do with a Queen album?

I think the beat/click was inspired by one of the songs on the album.

thebaconpress
08-24-2003, 06:23 PM
After listening to the songs from Hot Space, I think Ugly may have been inspired by Staying Power.

Even worse, Under Pressure from the same album was changed and sampled by Vanilla Ice for Ice, Ice Baby.

:D

Dead
08-25-2003, 12:11 AM
What's wrong with you guys, you should be busy debating where on the album Ugly and Jerry would have been had they made the cut.

Enzed
08-25-2003, 12:33 AM
If you'd ever heard <i>Hot Space</i>, you would understand where I'm coming from.

It's like Billy saying "I saw a neat house, so I'm basing my house on cellphone batteries".

thebaconpress
08-25-2003, 12:21 PM
If you'd ever heard <i>Hot Space</i>, you would understand where I'm coming from.

It's like Billy saying "I saw a neat house, so I'm basing my house on cellphone batteries".

Originally posted by thebaconpress
After listening to the songs from Hot Space, I think Ugly may have been inspired by Staying Power.

Even worse, Under Pressure from the same album was changed and sampled by Vanilla Ice for Ice, Ice Baby.

:D

I think what I said holds true and while it may not sound exactly like Ugly, I can kinda get the vibe from the album that the song has.

Enzed
08-25-2003, 07:10 PM
<i>Staying Power</i> always worked better in a live environment.

A la Milton Keynes in 1982.

metal mercy
08-25-2003, 10:40 PM
My new version of MCIS would be these 31 songs (in order):

Disc One:

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Tonight, Tonight
Jellybelly
Zero
Set the Ray to Jerry
Tales of a Scorched Earth
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Believe
To Forgive
Mouths of Babes
Cupid de Locke
Galapogos
Take Me Down
...Said Sadly

Disc Two:

Where Boys Fear to Tread
Bodies
Thirty-Three
Ugly
We Only Come out at Night
Stumbleine
Marquis in Spades
Cherry
Pennies
Meladori Magpie
God
Rotten Apples
The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right)
The Last Song
Farewell and Goodnight
Tonite Reprise

Dead
08-26-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by metal mercy
The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right)
The badass complete 33 version, or the crappy senseless Judas O edit? :o

thebaconpress
08-26-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Dead

I just don't understand the point in cutting off 45 seconds of the original.

Did it make the CD just too long?

zerozwan
08-26-2003, 12:28 PM
What's wrong with you guys, you should be busy debating where on the album Ugly and Jerry would have been had they made the cut.
this just made me think of some billy interview i very recently either heard or read.

billy was talking about "when the band re-releases MCIS in a whole different order, and with a few of the b-sides on it that i think are better than some of the original album tracks" (that's not exact... but that was the idea).

he was being completely serious too. i think the idea is quite feasible, going by what he was saying.

if only i could remember what interview it's from. if i remember, i'll post.

Dead
08-26-2003, 01:04 PM
I remember that one. But he won't really do it.

zerozwan
08-26-2003, 01:13 PM
I remember that one. But he won't really do it.
you're probably right...

but for anyone interested, i just found it, and during track four of the six track 2000-01-29 pre-FM interview, at around 7:30, billy says "i'm waiting for the day when we re-issue mellon collie where i take some of the b-sides that i think are better than some of the songs on mellon collie and change the orders all around, and basically re-seat the album."

take that for what it's worth, i guess.

sarmatianus
08-26-2003, 02:39 PM
you're probably right...

but for anyone interested, i just found it, and during track four of the six track 2000-01-29 pre-FM interview, at around 7:30, billy says "i'm waiting for the day when we re-issue mellon collie where i take some of the b-sides that i think are better than some of the songs on mellon collie and change the orders all around, and basically re-seat the album."

take that for what it's worth, i guess.

I'm assuming that'll be lying in wait for the reissue in another ten years.

smashingjj
08-27-2003, 04:43 AM

I 'm intrigued by this comment - what has Ugly got to do with a Queen album? They had different versions of Hot Space as well as Ugly. I once heard one of these versions - when I was talking with some Queen freak he let me hear some on the phone - and it was indeed <i>completely</i> different.

And Staying Power worked better live because they just played a heavy version of it. that what's you want, isn't it?:p

Nate the Grate
08-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Billy says a lot of stuff...

...that never happens.

List On Fork
08-29-2003, 12:16 PM
01 Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
02 Tonight, Tonight
03 Jellybelly
04 Zero
05 Here Is No Why
06 Bullet with Butterfly Wings
07 To Forgive
08 Fuck You
09 Love
10 Cupid de Locke
11 Galapogos
12 Muzzle
13 Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
14 Take Me Down

01 Where Boys Fear to Tread
02 Bodies
03 Thirty-three
04 In the Arms of Sleep
05 1979
06 Cherry
07 Thru the Eyes of Ruby
08 X.Y.U.
09 Stumbleine
10 Set the Ray to Jerry
11 Beautiful
12 By Starlight
13 Tonite Reprise
14 Farewell and Goodnight

Ugly
08-29-2003, 01:13 PM

I think the Judas O edit works better. I mean, I always found that little acoustic tag at the end of TAFH kind of pointless. I like ending on the pure rock power final ringing chord ringing out.

zerozwan
08-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by List On Fork
13 Tonite Reprise

i can't believe you would replace 'lily' with ANYTHING, let alone 'tonite reprise'! :erm

i think it's kind of pointless to have a second version of tonight, tonight right near the end of the second disc. the record concludes with basically an outro to MCIS already (the piano section at the end of farewell and goodnight). why make the last two tracks on the record so similar to the first two? it's just too much, if you ask me.

plus, lily is gold. solid gold.

matt reeder
08-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by List On Fork
01 Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
02 Tonight, Tonight
03 Jellybelly
04 Zero
05 Here Is No Why
06 Bullet with Butterfly Wings
07 To Forgive
08 Fuck You
09 Love
10 Cupid de Locke
11 Galapogos
12 Muzzle
13 Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
14 Take Me Down

01 Where Boys Fear to Tread
02 Bodies
03 Thirty-three
04 In the Arms of Sleep
05 1979
06 Cherry
07 Thru the Eyes of Ruby
08 X.Y.U.
09 Stumbleine
10 Set the Ray to Jerry
11 Beautiful
12 By Starlight
13 Tonite Reprise
14 Farewell and Goodnight

Actually, this makes more sense than the final CD running order of Mellon Collie. I detest the outgoing sequence of We Only Come Out At Night>Beautiful>Lily>By Starlight>Farewell and Goodnight...I always have. Two of those songs can be cut, and those two would be We Only Come Out at Night and Lily, perhaps my two least favorite SP songs. Also, I hate Tales of a Scorched Earth with a passion. The running order on yours is better altogether, and makes more sense to me.

Bravo.