My Morning Jacket
Pleasure Forever
The Red Light Sting
Royal City
Ted Leo / Pharmacists
The Tyde
The Von Bondies
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

and not liking anything, i've decided i hate it all.

Mason R Butler
08-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Where'd you get that list from? Nearly every band is doomed to fail the random song test. If indie's not you "scene", what is?

Ihaman
08-18-2003, 01:33 PM
got the list from insound, thought it would give me a pretty good feeling of what indie was.

at any rate, i guess my "scene" is downtempo electronic music...which im pretty sure a "scene" for dosent exist.

sawdust restaurants
08-18-2003, 01:33 PM
You just chose the wrong indie bands. All but 3 of them (4 if you count early Liz Phair) are OK at best.

Debaser
08-18-2003, 01:43 PM
I dig indie stuff, but yeah like sawdust said, most of those listed are blah.

tear stained glass
08-18-2003, 05:28 PM
You'll like the Make Up. I mean, you do have a soul, right?

skram
08-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Ihaman
got the list from insound, thought it would give me a pretty good feeling of what indie was.

thats like eating a sandwich and saying you dont like food.

noyen
08-18-2003, 11:59 PM
i hate music.

Helena Handbasket
08-19-2003, 12:16 AM
Ted Leo / Pharmacists

Lie
08-19-2003, 12:20 AM
Indie isn't really a genre. Just about everything these days is indie. Some people consider The White Stripes indie.

plastic haircut
08-19-2003, 12:48 AM
American Analog Set - pretty spare and boring austin band.
The Animal Collective - you're an idiot. they're awesome.
The Black Keys - spare band. wannabe white stripes.
!!! (Chk Chk Chk) - should be dancy enough to go well with your drugs.
The Constantines - the consta-whos?
Death From Above - haven't heard
Joan of Arc - i'd like to slit the lead singer's throat. pretentious asshole. shitty band.
The Gossip - haven't heard enough.
The Hidden Cameras - haven't heard.
Liz Phair - overrated but i'd fuck her anyway.
The Locust - great band. songs a little too lengthy.
Longwave - proof that New York hype's gotten out of control when medicore bands like this can gain noteriety.
My Morning Jacket - 21st century skynyrd. that's a good thing. fuck any of you elitists that don't agree.
Pleasure Forever - haven't heard it but name suggests they suck.
The Red Light Sting - is three 15-year old kids playing punk rock that posted on mp3.com? either that or shennenigans.
Royal City - royally shitty.
Ted Leo / Pharmacists - overrated.
The Tyde - haven't heard it.
The Von Bondies - thank you Jack White for the shitty Detroit garage rock that you gave us.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - cd of the year till the new outkast comes out.

disslunker
08-19-2003, 02:04 AM

American Analog Set
The Animal Collective
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

um, i've seen american analog set live and they're fucking amazing. i saw them with DNTEL and Her Space Holiday. matt, you'd love them if you saw them. seriously.

animal collective - i've only heard Slippi but i love it. i would like to hear more (hint to anyone who has animal collective mp3s?)

yeah yeah yeahs - they're repetitive but i like.

you suck matt.

not really.

Mason R Butler
08-19-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by plastic haircut
American Analog Set - pretty spare and boring austin band.
The Animal Collective - you're an idiot. they're awesome.
!!! (Chk Chk Chk) - should be dancy enough to go well with your drugs.
The Constantines - the consta-whos?
Joan of Arc - i'd like to slit the lead singer's throat. pretentious asshole. shitty band.
The Gossip - haven't heard enough.
The Hidden Cameras - haven't heard.
Liz Phair - overrated but i'd fuck her anyway.
Longwave - proof that New York hype's gotten out of control when medicore bands like this can gain noteriety.
My Morning Jacket - 21st century skynyrd. that's a good thing. fuck any of you elitists that don't agree.
Pleasure Forever - haven't heard it but name suggests they suck.
The Red Light Sting - is three 15-year old kids playing punk rock that posted on mp3.com? either that or shennenigans.
Royal City - royally shitty.
Ted Leo / Pharmacists - overrated.
The Tyde - haven't heard it.
The Von Bondies - thank you Jack White for the shitty Detroit garage rock that you gave us.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - cd of the year till the new outkast comes out.
You know what, exalted? I like your style. Do you mean sparse when you say spare?

granola
08-19-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Lie
Indie isn't really a genre. Just about everything these days is indie. Some people consider The White Stripes indie.

pumpkins were indie, almost every band was indie when they first started.

Boycott Graceland
08-19-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Lie
yeah. that's like saying, "i like pop music." you could be referring to sparklehorse or britney spears.

DeviousJ
08-19-2003, 07:23 AM
at any rate, i guess my "scene" is downtempo electronic music...which im pretty sure a "scene" for dosent exist.

2-l337

mono
08-19-2003, 04:09 PM

DFA, like the Neptunes for the punk funk scene...

plastic haircut
08-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by mono

DFA, like the Neptunes for the punk funk scene...

death from above is also a band not related to the production duo. the DFA don't have a cd, although they have a comp. coming out. just wanted to clear that up.

plastic haircut
08-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Mason R Butler

You know what, exalted? I like your style. Do you mean sparse when you say spare?

spare means like a waste. not worth the time.

example: bright eyes lyrics are far too spare to be compared to bob dylan.

it's a slang term not widely used, but should be.

Harry Kellerman
08-21-2003, 12:01 AM

They're a two peice (bass and drums) from canada. They have an EP out on Ache records (I'm apparently on that label's street team) and are recording/preparing to release a full length on sound virus. They're pretty good, their songs are a little monotonous and they sound very different live than in the studio (no effects, which they rely on)

hahahaha FUNNAY.

I saw one of their 1/2 hour headlining sets and once it finished they started walking off stage and some guy yelled "GET BACK ON STAGE YOU FUCKING GRASSHOPPERS". they didn't go back on but it was really funny/

Neither. It's a five peice punk/indie/new wave band with keyboards. I happen to think they fucking rock, but to each their own. They're from Canada and the guitarist and keyboardist own ache records, they did a split LP with a pre-sellout hot hot heat on that label. They also have two EPs and each song comes complete with a potty-mouth-humor title. ("My penis looks big all night long" "I wouldn't touch you with a tampon" "Plastic Cigars? Then why'd a bring the ashtray?")

plastic haircut
08-21-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Harry Kellerman

They're a two peice (bass and drums) from canada. They have an EP out on Ache records (I'm apparently on that label's street team) and are recording/preparing to release a full length on sound virus. They're pretty good, their songs are a little monotonous and they sound very different live than in the studio (no effects, which they rely on)

Neither. It's a five peice punk/indie/new wave band with keyboards. I happen to think they fucking rock, but to each their own. They're from Canada and the guitarist and keyboardist own ache records, they did a split LP with a pre-sellout hot hot heat on that label. They also have two EPs and each song comes complete with a potty-mouth-humor title. ("My penis looks big all night long" "I wouldn't touch you with a tampon" "Plastic Cigars? Then why'd a bring the ashtray?")

thanks for the info on death from above.

wasn't putting the red light sting down musically. hnestly never heard of them and it sounded like a fake band name.

Nimrod's Son
08-21-2003, 03:12 AM
Matt:check out Casbah. It'sthe best indie music place in SD.

Boycott Graceland
08-21-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Matt:check out Casbah. It'sthe best indie music place in SD.
BOO casbah's 21+ policy. all the best bands come through there.

jenniferkate
08-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by skram

thats like eating a sandwich and saying you dont like food.

Elvis The Fat Years
08-22-2003, 09:47 AM

you meant to say better than the white stripes.

Nidhogg
08-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Elvis The Fat Years

you meant to say better than the white stripes.

bonsor
08-22-2003, 04:05 PM
basically, indie by definition is belonging to a label that isn't related to one of the big 5 music distributors (BMG, EMD, Sony, Universal and WEA). I have a book that shows what labels are parts of what distributors. It's kind of dizzying to read the list, and ironically, i think Sub-Pop is on there somewhere.

That's what indie is. Nothing more.

White Stripes were on V2, same label as Moby. Not indie.
Belle and Sebastien, Distributed by ADA, 60% of which is owned by time warner, not indie. Same with modest mouse, teenage fanclub and yo la tengo. all are NOT INDIE.

Indie is yet another term, like "alternative rock" which has totally lost all meaning and has come only to describe what artists of yesterday the artists of today sound like.