View Full Version : Name records that you once loved that now seem dated

paranoid
08-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Which records now seem dated to you?

I listened to The Bends the first time in a while the other day, and it just didn't sound the same to me.. it felt dated to my ears. Portishead's Dummy hit me the same way. Maybe i just wasn't in the mood to hear these records.

Which record by the Pumpkins would you say sounds the most dated?

Boycott Graceland
08-17-2003, 01:49 PM
i dunno about dated, but mellon collie used to sound pretty mighty to my wee ears. it's not the same anymore.

paranoid
08-17-2003, 01:56 PM
same here.. depends on when i lsten to it. I hadn't listened to it in about 6 months, and yesterday for the first time i popped it in and it floored me again.

Boycott Graceland
08-17-2003, 02:08 PM
oh yes, the blue album by weezer too.

shutterbugg
08-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Undertow

alisonmonster
08-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Born in the USA by Springsteen. I have to admit-i love that album , even if it isn't considered very cool or anything. though every time i listen to it , i think of the 80's. Which is too bad because its a very heaartfelt album.

earphoria seems dated just because its kind of nostalgic early 90's pumpkins live stuff-you can't separate the time period from vieuphoria and so earphoria for that matter.

Mason R Butler
08-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Magic Dirt - Friends in Danger
Ventures - Play Telstar and The Lonely Bull
They Might Be Giants - Flood

Lie
08-18-2003, 03:20 AM
Mellon Collie definitely sounds the most dated out of any of the Pumpkins' albums. Gish and Siamese Dream have a much more classic sound to them. After Mellon Collie, I think Billy just stopped caring what the albums sounded like in terms of production relating to time period. I mean, Adore sounds dated in that not-quite-right way, but it didn't sound quite right when it came out either.

Mayfuck
08-18-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Lie
Mellon Collie definitely sounds the most dated out of any of the Pumpkins' albums. Gish and Siamese Dream have a much more classic sound to them. After Mellon Collie, I think Billy just stopped caring what the albums sounded like in terms of production relating to time period. I mean, Adore sounds dated in that not-quite-right way, but it didn't sound quite right when it came out either.

Man. I bet you're terrible in the sack.

Lie
08-18-2003, 03:27 AM
It's funny, because when I listen to records from, say, the 70's or 80's, of <i>course</i> they sound dated, but that's expected, and I can still get into them as immediately as anything recent after listening for a while. It only becomes a negative or noticable thing when it's records that I had when they came out that now sound like they're from a different time period. But again, there shouldn't necessarily be a problem with that. Certain kinds of production make music seem dated faster just in terms of the way it <i>sounds</i>, and I do tend to admire the kinds of production that don't throw a telltale spotlight on the time period. But when something sounds "dated" in a negative way, at least by my definition, it's always a negative effect of production and not the music itself. I think sometimes music can sound dated in a positive way, in other words, sometimes you can tell when it was recorded, but instead of taking away from the music, it lends a certain charm to it. Anyhow, yeah. It's funny.

Lie
08-18-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
Man. I bet you're terrible in the sack.

Only if Mellon Collie's playing. I'm easily distracted. I end up falling out of bed yelling, "Flood, you bastard!"

Mayfuck
08-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Lie

Only if Mellon Collie's playing. I'm easily distracted. I end up falling out of bed yelling, "Flood, you bastard!"

Whatever. I'm still gonna rape you.

shutterbugg
08-18-2003, 06:37 AM
What the hell does "Metrosexual" mean, anyway?

sawdust restaurants
08-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by shutterbugg
What the hell does "Metrosexual" mean, anyway?

Men (ostensibly inner-city ones) who aren't afraid to be in touch with their feminine sides. Think Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. It's the most pestiferous term in recent memory, I think.

Lie
08-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
Whatever. I'm still gonna rape you.

You can't rape me. You're metrosexual.

twice
08-18-2003, 07:58 PM
ace of base

Lie
08-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by twice
ace of base

:rofl:

wounded
08-18-2003, 08:58 PM
i agree mcis sometimes, songs like bwbw in particular, but a lot of the other songs still sound great.

how about nevermind or ten?

Transformer
08-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Jebediah - Slightly Odway

but it still fucking rocks

azvd
08-19-2003, 06:28 AM
The Stone Roses - S/T

-AZVD.

bob_the_potato
08-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Uh... This is my first post so... hi.
Oh, and I think MCIS sounds pretty outdated... but probably only cos rock has dipped in quality over the last couple of years.