View Full Version : Recommend A Band

shutterbugg
08-17-2003, 08:57 AM
I'm looking to expand my musical horizons, so who better to ask than Netphorians?

To give you a rough idea of my music tastes, here's what I currently listen to:

Smashing Pumpkins
Zwan
---

Vex Red
A Perfect Circle
Tool
Radiohead
Ours
Ministry
Wumpscut
Isis
Will Haven
Faith No More
Symphony X
Deftones
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Stabbing Westward
Stone Temple Pilots (not the recent stuff)

Nothing/everything
08-17-2003, 09:02 AM
i keep repeating this, but you should all check out the Norwegian band Motorpsycho. The albums timothy's monster, trust us and let them eat cake are serious ear candy.

Download the following songs:

On my pillow
Walking with J
Superstooge
Trapdoor
My best friend

smashingjj
08-17-2003, 09:03 AM
try pink floyd! not that it's like one of the bands you named, but just try. start with Meddle or Wish You Were Here.

smashingjj
08-17-2003, 09:06 AM
don't listen to the other guy. he keeps repeating himself.

smashingjj
08-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Pixies is also a pretty obvious 'Netphorian' band, just like Pink Floyd, so you might already have stuff, but I have to say I can recommend them. try surfer rosa or doolittle.

eyesbomb
08-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by shutterbugg
I'm looking to expand my musical horizons, so who better to ask than Netphorians?

Smashing Pumpkins
Zwan
---

Vex Red
A Perfect Circle
Tool
Radiohead
Ours
Ministry
Wumpscut
Isis
Will Haven
Faith No More
Symphony X
Deftones
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Stabbing Westward

Primal Scream
Joy Division
The Smiths

I named the biggest and most urgent.
get them and come back for more

Michiel
08-17-2003, 04:14 PM
dEUS.

probably impossible to find on the internet, but try to download:

Sister Dew
Hotellounge (be the death of me)
For The Roses
Dissapointed in the sun
The Horror Partyjokes
Dream sequence#1
Suds an.. just try to download any song by them, they're all good.

Tessellation
08-17-2003, 04:27 PM
husker du

Fonzie
08-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Deep Purple.

Pick up Jane's Addiction's 'Ritual De Lo Habitual" ablum, even if it's just for 'Three Days'.

mercurial
08-17-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Fonzie

Pick up Jane's Addiction's 'Ritual De Lo Habitual" ablum, even if it's just for 'Three Days'.

Tessellation
08-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Fonzie
Deep Purple.

"nothing's shocking" is better, but RITUAL is great, too.

Tessellation
08-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Stone Roses

yoko kanno and seatbelts

yaz

the the

talk talk

Tessellation
08-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by eyesbomb

Primal Scream
Joy Division
The Smiths

I named the biggest and most urgent.
get them and come back for more

I was listening to "Screamadelica" just yesterday.

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-17-2003, 07:36 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">You need to listen to rap.

OutKast, Jurassic 5, Talib Kweli and Mos Def (Black Star), A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, The Roots, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, and Tupac (some of his stuff is crap though).</font>

Tessellation
08-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">You need to listen to rap.

OutKast, Jurassic 5, Talib Kweli and Mos Def (Black Star), A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, The Roots, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, and Tupac (some of his stuff is crap though).</font>

slick rick, EPMD, beasties, dj shadow

MstrGhost
08-17-2003, 07:51 PM
kinski !!!!!

download "semaphore" and "schedule for using pillows and beanbags" if you like that, at least listen to the whole "airs above your station"

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Tessellation

slick rick, EPMD, beasties, dj shadow

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Yeah if you wanna be faggoty about it.</font>

Helena Handbasket
08-17-2003, 11:27 PM
My bands of the moment.. (you may not care)

Neutral Milk Hotel
Belle and Sebastian
Blur
Bright Eyes
Tripping Daisy
Wilco
The Flaming Lips

sickbadthing
08-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Fuck you Flava.

mewl
08-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Jack Off Jill, Sleater-Kinney, Ani DiFranco, Shaft, Low and Dirty Three, Rasputina, Pinback, Year of the Rabbit, Tori Amos, DJ Dara, Kidneythieves, Michelle Branch (Hotel Paper is really fucking good), Joydrop, Meg Lee Chin, Hooverphonic, Girl Next Door, Built to Spill, Darling Violetta, and Billie Holiday.

Esotarious
08-18-2003, 12:43 AM
Sparklehorse, Pete Yorn, Silverchair (Newer Stuff Ala Diorama, N.B)

Lie
08-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by mewl
Jack Off Jill, Sleater-Kinney, Ani DiFranco, Shaft, Low and Dirty Three, Rasputina, Pinback, Year of the Rabbit, Tori Amos, DJ Dara, Kidneythieves, Michelle Branch (Hotel Paper is really fucking good), Joydrop, Meg Lee Chin, Hooverphonic, Girl Next Door, Built to Spill, Darling Violetta, and Billie Holiday.

:erm

mewl
08-18-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Lie

For serious!!!

sawdust restaurants
08-18-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Lie

Eh, there's diamonds in the rough. Sleater-Kinney, Built to Spill and Low are such indie establishments, but they all have one classic record and a bunch of other good ones. And you can't go wrong with Lady Day.

Mayfuck
08-18-2003, 01:04 AM

Smashing Pumpkins
Zwan
---

Vex Red
A Perfect Circle
Tool
Radiohead
Ours
Ministry
Wumpscut
Isis
Will Haven
Faith No More
Symphony X
Deftones
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Stabbing Westward

When did you become a fake goth?

Tessellation
08-18-2003, 01:10 AM
Yaz

the hollies

the zombies

ZackZ
08-18-2003, 01:51 AM
Get these:

Genesis - The Cinema Show
Genesis - The Return of the Giant Hogweed
Gary Numan - Are Friend's Electric?
Gary Numan - M.E.

El Savior
08-18-2003, 02:09 AM
FAILURE

Debaser
08-18-2003, 02:15 AM
rock (my current fav band): Spoon - "metal detektor"

alternative: Placebo - "Taste in Men"

grrl (on the hype train right now get aboard): Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Black Tongue"

indie rock: interpol - "obstacle 1"

indie lo-fi: death cab for cutie - "Company Calls"

indie pop: Enon - "native numb"

indie experimental rock: Liars - "Mr. You're On Fire Mr."

indie electronic: The Notwist - "This Room"

leet indie: Broken Social Scene - "Cause = Time"

indie classic must-haves: Pixies - "Monkey Gone To Heaven", Modest Mouse - "teeth like gods shoeshine"

Lie
08-18-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
Eh, there's diamonds in the rough. Sleater-Kinney, Built to Spill and Low are such indie establishments, but they all have one classic record and a bunch of other good ones. And you can't go wrong with Lady Day.

I was making that face at seeing all of those artists grouped together, not at the individual artists themselves.

shutterbugg
08-18-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

When did you become a fake goth?

Well, I'm not a goth by any standard. I wear "normal" clothes and I have no piercings or painted nails or whatever makes you a goth (I really don't know). I just like that music...simple as that.

I'm interested though, what's "gothic" about my music list?

Oh, and thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'm trying to download a few songs by each group you mentioned. And yeah, I forgot to add a few older groups like Deep Purple and Pink Floyd. I've never even heard of the Pixies...odd.

Oh, and I don't like rap. Besides, I hear more than enough of it from my brother (no, not BET or MTV rap).

sickbadthing: Wow, you hold quite the grudge. It's been over 2 years, LET IT GO.

Byron Moreno
08-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Meanwhile, Back in Communist Russia.

very interesting band

i suggest "my elixir; my poison", their last album.

mewl
08-18-2003, 07:21 AM
I WISH YOU ALL COULD HEAR ME SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debaser
08-18-2003, 11:53 AM

I've never even heard of the Pixies...odd.

:eek:

smashingjj
08-18-2003, 11:59 AM

I've never even heard of the Pixies...odd.
Well, now is the time to start buying or downloading.

Debaser
08-18-2003, 12:05 PM
from your list:

Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Deftones, Nirvana, Foo Fighters were all huge fans of the Pixies. uh huh.

Boner
08-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Debaser
rock (my current fav band): Spoon - "metal detektor"

alternative: Placebo - "Taste in Men"

grrl (on the hype train right now get aboard): Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Black Tongue"

indie rock: interpol - "obstacle 1"

indie lo-fi: death cab for cutie - "Company Calls"

indie pop: Enon - "native numb"

indie experimental rock: Liars - "Mr. You're On Fire Mr."

indie electronic: The Notwist - "This Room"

leet indie: Broken Social Scene - "Cause = Time"

indie classic must-haves: Pixies - "Monkey Gone To Heaven", Modest Mouse - "teeth like gods shoeshine"

george??? is that you?

Debaser
08-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces

george??? is that you?

no. :think:

sawdust restaurants
08-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Lie
I was making that face at seeing all of those artists grouped together, not at the individual artists themselves.

But most of them suck!

sawdust restaurants
08-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Debaser
indie lo-fi: [b]death cab for cutie - "Company Calls"

Pssh. Everybody knows the peak of indie lo-fi in the naughts is "I Want Wind to Blow" by the Microphones.

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-18-2003, 02:24 PM

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">You might as well just castrate yourself.</font>

Fallon
08-19-2003, 09:47 AM
the eels, the melvins, and rush have yet to be mentioned

Nimrod's Son
08-19-2003, 01:39 PM
Wellwater Conspiracy. The Scroll and its Combinations is the best album.

mewl
08-20-2003, 06:36 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">You might as well just castrate yourself.</font>

Why?

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-20-2003, 08:39 PM

Why?

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Because you're a girl with a penis.</font>

plastic haircut
08-20-2003, 10:57 PM
well judging by your cd collection it looks like you have a lot of stuff you can trade in for good stuff.

uh, let's see.

liars
yeah yeah yeahs
pinback
microphones
!!!
dismemberment plan
the wire's (music magazine you should read) 3cd 20th anniversary cd set for educational purposes.
styrofoam
interpol (by your list you'll really like this)
throbbing gristle
check the othermusic.com every week and listen to the stuff they have on the first page, it's diverse, and usually pretty good.

mewl
08-21-2003, 04:11 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Because you're a girl with a penis.</font>

You're a dumbass.

mewl
08-21-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by plastic haircut
pinback
dismemberment plan
interpol

<3

shutterbugg
08-21-2003, 05:39 AM
well judging by your cd collection it looks like you have a lot of stuff you can trade in for good stuff.

I'm not trading in any of my music, you ass. If I said I liked it, then why the fuck would I get rid of it? The point of this post is to expand. FUCK.

Debaser
08-21-2003, 10:41 AM
so have you found anything from the recomendations that you liked?

shutterbugg
08-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Yeah, a lot of it. I'll do a little review when I have some time.

plastic haircut
08-22-2003, 10:54 PM

I'm not trading in any of my music, you ass. If I said I liked it, then why the fuck would I get rid of it? The point of this post is to expand. FUCK.

go to amazon.com and buy a book on on the art of reading sarcasm and study it.

AndItsAllGone
08-22-2003, 11:10 PM
go to amazon.com and buy a book on on the art of reading sarcasm and study it.

Oh, you were being sarcastic when you said his music wasn't good. Does it follow, then, that the bands you listed are sarcastically good--meaning genuinely bad--or were you just moving back and forth from sarcasm to sincerity without any sort of context?

Maybe you should go to amazon.com and buy a book on the art of typing sarcasm and study it.

Djed
08-23-2003, 12:42 AM
if you don't like rap DL some Saul Williams and you will. Just do it. now.

others,

Pavement
Cursive
Bjork
postal service
queens of the stone age
the faint
Modest mouse
death cab for cutie

plastic haircut
08-23-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by AndItsAllGone

Oh, you were being sarcastic when you said his music wasn't good. Does it follow, then, that the bands you listed are sarcastically good--meaning genuinely bad--or were you just moving back and forth from sarcasm to sincerity without any sort of context?

Maybe you should go to amazon.com and buy a book on the art of typing sarcasm and study it.

sorry, i'll anotate everything next time you fucking idiot. i felt it was clear the line of sarcasm that is, as did my roomate. so maybe you buys can go to the bookstore together.

AndItsAllGone
08-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Shit, you've got your roommate on your side? I guess that's game, set, and match for you, then. Lay off of this platic haircut fellow, guys--his roommate will tear you apart once you've done the same to his poorly written posts!

Seriously, though, I don't give a fuck about your roommate. You have a flawed grasp of what's witty and what isn't. Your dumbass attempt at being at being sarcastic failed. Back to square one, man. I'd suggest that you have your roommate help you next time, but he's obviously as stupid as you are.

plastic haircut
08-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by AndItsAllGone
Shit, you've got your roommate on your side? I guess that's game, set, and match for you, then. Lay off of this platic haircut fellow, guys--his roommate will tear you apart once you've done the same to his poorly written posts!

Seriously, though, I don't give a fuck about your roommate. You have a flawed grasp of what's witty and what isn't. Your dumbass attempt at being at being sarcastic failed. Back to square one, man. I'd suggest that you have your roommate help you next time, but he's obviously as stupid as you are.

well i guess my sarcasm is lost because you don't recognize the difference between good and bad music.

for help see mayfuck's "when did you become fake goth". shutterbugs taste are very hot topic. i'm guessing this person is young though (15-17), and i listened to not the best stuff then also. they know some bands i didn't know existed when i was that age so they get credit for that, not because they know more than me when i was that age, but because they seem to just be more musically educated.

that said i still think ninety percent of the bands on their list suck, but like i said they're probably young. i used to listen to stone temple pilots too at that age (when they didn't have old stuff) because i didn't know any better. i didn't have message boards to suggest stuff. i was on my own. thank goodness for technology?

anyway you'll probably want the last word, but i'm not wasting anymore space defending my sarcasm, as this isn't the point of this thread.

RobTheGood
08-25-2003, 04:30 PM
I just heard Sparta over the weekend for the first time..

good stuff.

twice
08-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Djed

from my experience- people with similar taste to hers can't really get into saul. he's not for everyone, and definetly not a gateway into an entire genre...his stuff is too experimental for the average listener. start with 50 cent.

Dead
08-26-2003, 05:24 AM
I recommend Kylie Minogue.

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-27-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by twice
from my experience- people with similar taste to hers can't really get into saul. he's not for everyone, and definetly not a gateway into an entire genre...his stuff is too experimental for the average listener. start with 50 cent.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">50 Cent fucking blows. Biggie, Tupac, NWA (& Dre and Ice Cube solo) and Snoop did the gangsta rap thing far better than 50 Cent. You might as well tell him to listen to Ja Rule and Nelly. </font>

sarasvati
08-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Djed

Yeah, he was awesome when I saw him open for the mars volta.

twice
08-27-2003, 10:02 PM

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">50 Cent fucking blows. Biggie, Tupac, NWA (& Dre and Ice Cube solo) and Snoop did the gangsta rap thing far better than 50 Cent. You might as well tell him to listen to Ja Rule and Nelly. </font> might as well. my point went right over your head.

Tessellation
08-27-2003, 11:49 PM
the replacements (start with TIM)