View Full Version : what about the new muse album

smashingjj
08-17-2003, 08:33 AM
has anyone heard it yet? I've heard 2 songs and I'm not <i>very</i> impressed, though I don't really like Muse anymore like I did. I use Origin of Symmetry now mostly to practice my bass playing.

scouse_dave
08-17-2003, 12:46 PM
haven't heard the album, no...just the two singles they've released from it. i haven't been blown away with what i've heard...doesn't appear that they've moved their sound on at all.

i'm going to see them in November regardless.

smashingjj
08-17-2003, 12:53 PM
yeah I noticed that.

Cretin Soup
08-18-2003, 07:23 PM
The two new songs, while not offering very much in terms of sound development are still pretty good I think. I'm hoping that they are releasing what will prove to be the more standard commercial rawking songs as obvious singles and that the real quality stuff will be what makes the rest of the album and it'll be interesting and fresh music.

I too will be seeing them in November, in Cardiff Arena.

smashingjj
08-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Cretin Soup
The two new songs, while not offering very much in terms of sound development are still pretty good I think. I'm hoping that they are releasing what will prove to be the more standard commercial rawking songs as obvious singles and that the real quality stuff will be what makes the rest of the album and it'll be interesting and fresh music.

I too will be seeing them in November, in Cardiff Arena. well one of that songs at least sounded pretty good. The melody was damn catchy and it rocked. I lost the title, but I'm not talking about The Stockholm Syndrome.

Salem
08-19-2003, 06:28 PM
BLAST.

I desire that title.

Mason R Butler
08-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Album is on slsk now. I've got 5 tracks so far.

Sounds like god old Radiohead stuck in melodrama mode. So basically, it's a Muse record. I like it so far. It doesn't seem as relentless as Origin of Symmetry was.

Cretin Soup
08-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Aww fuck. I was hoping they'd take it even further. Songs from O of Sym... like Space Dementia, Citizen Erased and Megalomania sounded like some insane apocolyptic doomsday, I loved that.

I believe the song title everyone is thinking of is 'Time Is Running Out'.

I'll have to sneak a few tracks.

babyletswhine
08-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Speaking as fan of their first two albums, i must say the new one sucks ass. No innovation. All the things you hear that you like, you have heard on the other albums but better. His singing has no new melody and is annoying sometimes. He needs to sing less and concentrate more on cool riffs, like they did on their first record. The heavy songs arent any heavier than the ones on origin (muse told the press the album was heavier).The more mellow ones sound like b-sides from the other 2 records.

But hey i won 2 tickets for a showcase, 800 people, listen to the songs live before the actual release. Seeing them for the 6th time i believe i hope to see some improvement (or at least no decline) in their live performance.

Azael
08-21-2003, 11:14 PM
New Muse is quite interesting, IMO, i thought it was a step from their usual material, more electronic and much more orchestral than normal. In fact, the only really Muse-like song on there i thought was TSP - which sounds like it coulda come from either of the previous albums.

Try getting Hysteria, Blackout or Endlessly, you'll see what i mean.

Chewbacca
08-22-2003, 12:23 AM
:noway:

Mason R Butler
08-22-2003, 04:54 PM
I give it an 8.