View Full Version : Have you ever listened to the end of For Martha, backwards?

Reyngel
08-17-2003, 03:03 AM
The entire end of For Martha was played in the studio, then the track was flipped, and recorded. I think I've known about this for a few years now, but I never actually tried reversing it to hear what the original take sounded like. But I just did it, and man, it sounds beautiful. I'd recommend trying it out if you haven't already. :)

cap'n jazz
08-17-2003, 08:32 AM
My best friend told me it was just the chorus of Rat In A Cage backwards, so I never bothered trying it.

poopshipdestroy
08-17-2003, 11:18 AM
WOAX

shutterbugg
08-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Rat In A Cage? I believe you mean Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

cap'n jazz
08-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by shutterbugg
Rat In A Cage? I believe you mean Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

EXTENDED DANCE MIX!

ckeegan
08-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Hm, I'll have to try it...if you want to hear something REALLY cool, try listening to The Everlasting Gaze backwards...surprisingly, it still rocks.

Reyngel
08-18-2003, 03:09 AM
Well, lots of songs are still gonna sound kinda cool when played backwards. I just mentioned For Martha because the end of the song was actually recorded backwards.

thebaconpress
08-18-2003, 07:15 PM
http://members.cox.net/thebaconpress/FMReversed.mp3

Last minute or so of For Martha reversed for all for the lazy.

mrjackalope
08-18-2003, 07:15 PM
how does one listen to a song backwards? winamp plugin?

killer_tomato
08-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by thebaconpress
http://members.cox.net/thebaconpress/FMReversed.mp3

Last minute or so of For Martha reversed for all for the lazy.
making a 192k mp3 out of a 128k mp3 is really stupid

thebaconpress
08-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by killer_tomato

making a 192k mp3 out of a 128k mp3 is really stupid

I am sorry, are .mp3s not allowed here either?

You want me to post it in .shn and unshare my Metro files while I am at it too?

If I thought someone was going to save it, burn it to a cd and ten years down the road sell the golden master copy of it on eBay, i would give a shit.

For someone to get the general idea of what it sounds like and me not having to change my LAME settings is alot less of a hastle for me.

Crono
08-19-2003, 02:45 AM

If I thought someone was going to save it, burn it to a cd and ten years down the road sell the golden master copy of it on eBay, i would give a shit.

For someone to get the general idea of what it sounds like and me not having to change my LAME settings is alot less of a hastle for me.

I like you. A lot.

hendy
08-19-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by mrjackalope
how does one listen to a song backwards? winamp plugin?

I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) , a nice free cross-platform sound editor. Import the audio, select all, then choose Effects - Reverse.

-Hendy

np: Smashing Pumpkins - She Says

killer_tomato
08-19-2003, 09:30 AM

uh, you completely missed my point... it's just that if you create a 192k mp3 file from a 128k one, the file size increases while the quality doesn't. that's all.
for fuck's sake read other people's posts

MstrGhost
08-19-2003, 10:08 AM

uh, you completely missed my point... it's just that if you create a 192k mp3 file from a 128k one, the file size increases while the quality doesn't. that's all.

anyway, it might help to compensate for some reencoding losses. If you recompress a 128kbps file again it will sound like shit.

Anyway, Uh, compression? :hurl:

killer_tomato
08-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by MstrGhost

anyway, it might help to compensate for some reencoding losses. If you recompress a 128kbps file again it will sound like shit.

Anyway, Uh, compression? :hurl:
it doesn't. it's a fact.
and i wouldn't be so annoying about it if he'd understood it the first time.

Ugly
08-19-2003, 01:33 PM

That's a good explanation for me. Thanks for the file, brotha. Don't let the nitpickers bug you.

jczeroman
08-19-2003, 02:11 PM
looks like adore really was a "backwards" album

again, billy what the fuck were you thinking?

thebaconpress
08-19-2003, 02:45 PM

You made a statement, one with 12 words saying you didn't like how I encoded my reversed .mp3s from one bitrate to another.

But yet, you expect me to read between the lines of those 12 words to see you really meant to tell me I was wasting bandwidth and then read other anal audiophiles' posts on how not to share even the most little flawed audio source with the world.

Well, let me put my feelings into 12 words for you:

How about you shut the fuck up and Billy Corgan hates you.

killer_tomato
08-19-2003, 02:50 PM
sorry but i can't see how you could read anything else into my statement. sorry if the shn-only mentality (which i don't defend btw) offends you.
oh, and i still don't hate you or anything, so calm down

thebaconpress
08-19-2003, 03:01 PM
sorry but i can't see how you could read anything else into my statement. sorry if the shn-only mentality (which i don't defend btw) offends you.
oh, and i still don't hate you or anything, so calm down

Uh, you completely missed my point. It's just that if you create a 192k mp3 file from a 128k one to show something, you don't expect shit from people for being nice. That's all.
For fuck's sake read other people's posts.

:D

mrjackalope
08-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by jczeroman
looks like adore really was a "backwards" album

again, billy what the fuck were you thinking?

:confused: adore kicks your ass.

bonsor
08-19-2003, 05:54 PM
its the same thing over and over again.

schwow

thebaconpress
08-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ******
its the same thing over and over again.

schwow

No, not only can you hear the overlay of other guitars changing, but the main guitar part changes at 47 seconds in.

bonsor
08-19-2003, 07:21 PM

No, not only can you hear the overlay of other guitars changing, but the main guitar part changes at 47 seconds in. yeah....the whole thing goes down a 4th. again, schwow.

im kind of disappointed. it takes away from the end of the song, for me.

tristessa
08-19-2003, 08:09 PM
i never heard it personally but i heard somewhere that the chorus of 'god' played backwards said something like i hate everything and i wanna die... im getting that audacity thing now since i wanna hear it

Mason R Butler
08-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by tristessa
i dont kniow how to play songs backwards but i heard somewhere that the chorus of 'god' played backwards said something like i hate everything and i wanna die. could anyone tell me how to do it, or post a clip? thanks in advance
I'm helpless, I wan die. It doesn't "say" anything, but it sounds like that. Coincidence.

tristessa
08-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Mason R Butler

I'm helpless, I wan die. It doesn't "say" anything, but it sounds like that. Coincidence.

oh, thanks. im getting that thing anyway cause i remember some songs like cherub rock sounding really cool backwards and i just want to check it out

tristessa
08-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by hendy

I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) , a nice free cross-platform sound editor. Import the audio, select all, then choose Effects - Reverse.

-Hendy

awesome thanks, downloaded audacity. those were perfect instrunctions. i did it with mp3's but can i do the reverse with regular cd's?

tristessa
08-19-2003, 09:39 PM

Uh, you completely missed my point. It's just that if you create a 192k mp3 file from a 128k one to show something, you don't expect shit from people for being nice. That's all.
For fuck's sake read other people's posts.

:D

:D :D :D :cool: that shut him up

hendy
08-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by tristessa

awesome thanks, downloaded audacity. those were perfect instrunctions. i did it with mp3's but can i do the reverse with regular cd's?

You'll have to transfer the cd track to your hard disk as a wav file first. Exact Audio Copy and similar programs will do it.

-Hendy

np: Smashing Pumpkins - Speed (studio)

Starchildren
08-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by hendy

isn't that just "Tulips" backwards?

hendy
08-20-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Starchildren

isn't that just "Tulips" backwards?

Nah, "Untitled SD-Era Instrumental" is Tulips backwards. She Says is Tulips with every 8th note replaced by a brutal and entirely appropriate power chord.

-Hendy

np: Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet Train to Osaka (w/ vox)