View Full Version : Just saw the 'Go To Sleep' video

paranoid
08-16-2003, 12:50 AM
worst radiohead video ever. guess i was expecting more, seeing as i love the song.

08-16-2003, 01:12 AM
It's one of the better videos in my opinion in what it manages to say in such a short time. It's a blatant critique of the bush administrations poilices instituted in the aftermath of 9/11 (war on terrorism, the patriot act) and it achieves this in the way it shows the restoration of buildings from ashes and ruble at the end. The sequence creates an obvious reference to the events of 9/11 and offers the assumption that if the world trade center never collapsed and that 9/11 never happened all together we wouldn't have to worry about "the loonies taking over" and we can all just go to sleep.

It doesnt' have to be about 9/11 specifically either. It could also refer to Russia and how its government is curtailing basic civil rights in its war with chechen rebels. That's specifically why the video is animated. It's supposed to alienate you from a specific location suggesting that this can happen anywhere and not just in the US.

Mayfuck
08-16-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by 13
It's one of their better ones in my opinion since it refers to a world where 9/11 never happened and the bush administrations reactionary policies against terrorsim were never enforced- which to me is what the song is protesting. But its appeal isnt as straightforward as most of their videos so i can see how it could evoke that type of reaction

Hmm. I saw 9/11 themes too but saw the destruction of America and then its regeneration as if it were organic, though done with a sinister shade.

Mayfuck
08-16-2003, 02:24 AM
Oh you edited your post.

strange_one
08-16-2003, 02:29 AM
<font color=33FFFF> I thought the video started out promising, but didn't really go anywhere. I like There There better</font>

08-16-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

Hmm. I saw 9/11 themes too but saw the destruction of America and then its regeneration as if it were organic, though done with a sinister shade.

interesting interpretation about organic regeneration... the framing reference of the rose could suggest that

I had to edit the post to be a little bit more specific.

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-16-2003, 04:02 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I'd like to download that video when i get DSL. It's my favorite song on Hail to tha muthafuckin Theif.</font>

disslunker
08-16-2003, 07:38 AM
where is it available?

wangcomputers
08-16-2003, 12:46 PM
MTV!

or you could search for the thread where somebody posted the quicktime movie... fine, i'll look for it..

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29215&highlight=synch i'm so kind.