View Full Version : st. louis drum clinic 8/13

List On Fork
08-14-2003, 02:55 PM
ok, the drum clinic was pretty rad. jc played along to MSOTS tracks... i was hoping he'd do a solo and just rock out, but he only did the album tracks. he performed lyric, endless summer, declarations of faith and mary star of the sea. the discussion was actually very interesting. he made some great points about songwriting and arrangements, and demonstrated the way declarations of faith evolved. someone asked him about the way his kit changed over the years and he explained that it was due to the i am one part, and that was the only sp lick he played. he also mentioned that paz was asked to leave by the band because things weren't clicking... i had been under the impression that it was paz who left, so that was new to me. anyway, it was really neat, and hopefully someone taped it despite the no-taping policy.

spfreak
08-14-2003, 03:01 PM
paz was asked to leave??

ya think billy was reading teh anti paz forums here on 'phoria and asked her to leave??!?! :think:

Netphorian Gadabout
08-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by List On Fork
he also mentioned that paz was asked to leave by the band because things weren't clicking... i had been under the impression that it was paz who left, so that was new to me.

Not to try and start drama, but apparently people keep trying to post that on the zwan.com board and keep getting banned.

spfreak
08-14-2003, 03:03 PM
what exactly did he say about songwriting and arrangements?!?!

*Waits for juicy details or confirmation on a taped version*

Liquid-J
08-14-2003, 03:44 PM
he also mentioned that paz was asked to leave by the band because things weren't clicking... i had been under the impression that it was paz who left, so that was new to me.

veeeeeeeedy iiiiiiiiiiiiiintedesteen.

CandyPotter
08-14-2003, 03:49 PM
he also mentioned that paz was asked to leave by the band because things weren't clicking...

Lol, way off topic, but that is really wild to hear. Jimmy always blows the cover off stuff, it's hilarious.

Liquid-J
08-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by CandyPotter

Lol, way off topic, but that is really wild to hear. Jimmy always blows the cover off stuff, it's hilarious.

woah, i never noticed that, but you're right. remember when he told someone the name was zwan way way before it ever became official?

what else had jimmeh let slip???

The Gaddrow
08-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Liquid-J
what else had jimmeh let slip??? heh.

netphoria sucks
08-14-2003, 06:03 PM
I'm glad that someone else uses the word "rad."

Rider
08-14-2003, 06:13 PM

woah, i never noticed that, but you're right. remember when he told someone the name was zwan way way before it ever became official?

what else had jimmeh let slip???

in that interview he did a few months back he let the PBS thing slip along with a bunch of other stuff that I had'nt heard before. And remeber when he told people about the 5 nights at metro.

pumpkinxyu
08-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by CandyPotter

tomorrow in Greensboro, i'm gonna trick jimmy into telling me the answer to the MACHINA mystery. although odds are he's still stuck on Level 2 at the gatmog site.

JC: "Billy, tell me the fucking password or I'm gonna go join Papa M."
BC: "Dude, the password is 'Papa M'."
JC: "Already tried it."
BC: "Damn. Then the password is the outro to The Everlasting Gaze, in morse code."
JC: "Tried it."
BC: "Alright, alright. The password is 'password.' The answer to the MACHINA mystery is...is that I love you, Jimmy Chamberlin."
JC: "I solved the mystery! I'm finally a troo fan. Thanks, B0lly. To the O-boards!"

Johnny_Swallow
08-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Sorry it took so long but this is the first chance I could post since I had to drive back today. This was awesome, best thing I've seen all year.

Declarations of faith - This was probably the most interesting part because he went into how it was going to be more of a 2 and 4 type drum part and evolved into the more orchestral piece that it is. He played the first 30 seconds or so the way it used to be and then played the way it is on the album. Very cool to see the progression. And then he talked about how he'll bump up the tempo from 138 bpm to 139 bmp in between verses by going up .2bpm per bar over 4 bars. (Which actually adds up to .8 but he must have either meant 5 bars or .25 bpm)

Mary star of the sea - Unreal, the rest of the show was great but to watch him play the entire song and nail it with such precision is incredible. The best drumming I've ever had the chance to actually witness.

-When Jimmy was talking about asking Paz to leave and explained that 'Zwan is a revolving door type of band and who ever wants to be in Zwan can be in Zwan...but when it comes down to it Zwan is Me and Billy's thing.'

-Jimmy was playing this badass 6.5(?)X14 metal snare (It looked to be steel by the shade of silver it was) which is a prototype for his own Yamaha signature series snare. It sounded great and really had his sound dialed in. The rest of his set was Maple Custom Absolute in a Cherry wood finish. 14"/10"/13"/16" and a 20" bass which suprised me. 2 Chinas, 2 crash, 1 splash & 1 ride.

-I knew somebody would and eventually some guy asked Jimmy if the Metro would ever be released and he once again said that Virgin doesn't want to finance it and they're going to wait until 2006 and release it theselves. (I know it's not news but it's good to hear straight from Jimmy.)

-Some other guy had Jimmy sign his 12" Machina LP, it was probably Marlon Brando.

-He mentioned that he plans on taking lessons from other drummers in the Yamaha roster, specifically Dave Weckl and Elvin Jones.

-He told a story about how they found out that "Zwan" is a Spam-like meat product in Belgium.

-He said that he eventually has plans to put out a 'solo' record or put together a small band of his own to record with. 'Kind of a Mahavishnu Orchestra meets...' a couple other bands I don't remember. He said Billy suggested it to him and he likes the idea. Mike Garson is lined up to play the piano and if I remember his name right Billy Mullens (or who ever Macy Gray's touring bassist is right now) is going to play bass. But when I was talking to him he said that he'd like to take 3 years to work on it and get a feel for Jazz again before recording the album. :(:(:(

-A guy asked him about why some of the songs on the Machina/Arising tour were played so much faster than the album versions and if he liked it. Jimmy said "I hate it. But Corgan loves it, the man loves to speed things up."

-My favorite thing he said all night was when a guy asked him "When you're playing live to you like to listen to the bass in your monitor?" and Jimmy said "It depends on who's playing the bass!"

-I just picked up my pictures from Wal-mart and once again they fuck them up. They gave me 17 out of 27 pics...doubles of some, leave out others....NEVER GET PICTURES AT WALMART! This is the 5th time in a row they fucked them up, and I'm a dumbass to keep going back. Luckily they didn't mess up the I got of me next to Jimmy. My digital is being fixed so all I have are lousy disposible camera pics. I could have easily taped it since the security was so minimal, too bad I don't have the gear.

babyletswhine
08-15-2003, 05:25 AM
great news..

pumpkinxyu
08-15-2003, 08:08 AM
thanks for the post, johnny swallow. most informative thing i've read on this board...ever. much obliged. :)

twilightfadez
08-15-2003, 09:00 AM
thanks johnny
please let us know if you can scan the pics so we can see :)
did anybody ask him anything about d'arcy?

CandyPotter
08-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Rider

in that interview he did a few months back he let the PBS thing slip along with a bunch of other stuff that I had'nt heard before.

PBS thing?

Originally posted by pumpkinxyu

odds are he's still stuck on Level 2 at the gatmog site.

*thumb*

Liquid-J
08-15-2003, 11:30 AM
That was awesome Johnny, thanks!! I have a question on how it worked.. when he drummed songs.. was it him all by himself? Or was the rest of the song playing on speakers? And if so, did that version have the drums removed? I'm ok with waiting till 2006 for the metro i guess.. as long as its goign to come out.

Originally posted by Johnny_Swallow
-When Jimmy was talking about asking Paz to leave and explained that 'Zwan is a revolving door type of band and who ever wants to be in Zwan can be in Zwan..but when it comes down to it Zwan is Me and Billy's thing.'

i want to be in zwan!

Johnny_Swallow
08-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by twilightfadez
thanks johnny
please let us know if you can scan the pics so we can see :)
did anybody ask him anything about d'arcy?

Yeah I'll scan them in later but I can't right now since I have to go back to work. And if someone would like to host them just let me know because I don't have a place for them online. No one asked about D'arcy during the clinic or afterward that I heard.

That was awesome Johnny, thanks!! I have a question on how it worked.. when he drummed songs.. was it him all by himself? Or was the rest of the song playing on speakers? And if so, did that version have the drums removed? I'm ok with waiting till 2006 for the metro i guess.. as long as its goign to come out.

i want to be in zwan!

Yeah he had the songs set up with the drum tracks taken out and played to a click and it was all on the PA for the audience to hear. And right after he said that whoever wants to be in Zwan can be this kid raised his hand and asked "Can I be in Zwan?" and Jimmy asked what he played and the kid said drums and then Jimmy said 'that would make my job a lot easier so sure you can be in Zwan.'

It was funny during the start of the clinic when he just sat on a stool and talked for a few minutes he kept saying to forgive him if he checks his notes a few times since it was only the second clinic he had ever done. He had a black binder with him while he talked and I saw about 10 pages that were all hand written.

twilightfadez
08-15-2003, 02:57 PM
i will host them, email em to me
cat@darcywretzky.org

twilightfadez
08-15-2003, 02:58 PM
awwww that was so cute...Jimmy with a little black binder and his notes <3
man i would of died being there :( seeing that man drum solo...jesus christ and the virgin mary!

The Gaddrow
08-15-2003, 05:45 PM
-My favorite thing he said all night was when a guy asked him "When you're playing live to you like to listen to the bass in your monitor?" and Jimmy said "It depends on who's playing the bass!" That's fucking gold.

Thanks for the great review. And, for the love of all that's holy, don't go to wal-mart for photo processing again.

ZackZ
08-15-2003, 06:15 PM

-He mentioned that he plans on taking lessons from other drummers in the Yamaha roster, specifically Dave Weckl and Elvin Jones.

-He said that he eventually has plans to put out a 'solo' record or put together a small band of his own to record with. 'Kind of a Mahavishnu Orchestra meets...' a couple other bands I don't remember.

Fucking sweet. Dave Weckl and Elvin Jones are fucking brilliant.

If his solo stuff sounds anyting like Mahavishnu Orchestra, it will be the best record in years.

Figures someone off this board can't remember what other bands he mentioned though.

paranoid
08-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Did he mention anything about how he practices, his routines, how he is at the level he is at? I'm interested in what he had to say about his own playing, what it's like to be well known, etc.

More info!

palidor
08-15-2003, 08:49 PM
I'd be interested in hearing the album without the drum mix... even though the drums are the best part :)

Slurpee
08-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ
Figures someone off this board can't remember what other bands he mentioned though.

Figures someone off this board would make a comment like that.

bonsor
08-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Mike Garson is lined up to play the piano what the fuck! NO NO NO

ZackZ
08-16-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Slurpee

Figures someone off this board would make a comment like that.

Eh. too bad he didn't mention the White Stripes or Radiohead. I bet you'd be all over that.

Johnny_Swallow
08-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by paranoid
Did he mention anything about how he practices, his routines, how he is at the level he is at? I'm interested in what he had to say about his own playing

He said he likes to warm up by doing an hour of 'Stick Control' before playing live. That is about as specific as he got but really just like anyone at that level it's 99% disipline and practice, hours and hours of practice.

Twilightfadez did you get those pics I sent?

twilightfadez
08-16-2003, 12:19 PM
here are the pics dude
http://www.catalinavillegas.com/images/jimmy/jimmy01.jpg
http://www.catalinavillegas.com/images/jimmy/jimmy02.jpg
http://www.catalinavillegas.com/images/jimmy/jimmy03.jpg
http://www.catalinavillegas.com/images/jimmy/jimmy04.jpg

Johnny_Swallow
08-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks for putting those up. I got my other ones back but they are all too dark and aren't worth posting anyway. Too bad my digital cam was broken.

twilightfadez
08-16-2003, 03:59 PM
you;re welcome
that sucks the others came out dark :(
perhaps the negative is still good,and you just got shitty prints....why not take the negs to a pro-lab and get prints done there?

SanimalP
08-17-2003, 02:04 AM
hey, i went to the 8/12 clinic in fort collins co, and i recorded the whole thing. if anyone has server space to hold about 75 meg of mp3's, email me and ill either email the mp3's or give me upload information. by the way, it was awesome. anyways.. bye bye

oh yeah almost forgot. my email address is my screen name in all lower case with at hotmail dot com attached to the end. heh

erhmmm ok, so nevermind about the sending via email.. hotmail attachments are stupid. so anyone want to host? let me know via email.

Johnny_Swallow
08-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Good job brutha. I can't host but I'll be waiting to hear them anxiously. What was the setlist?

SanimalP
08-18-2003, 02:37 AM
heh, you can now figure out the setlist for yourself!! www.dialrevenge.com/drumclinic go there for all the hot jimmy chamberlain drum clinic mp3 action you can handle. oh sorry i dont have a set list, i forgot to write them down as i went, and im not too familiar with zwan songs.. all that god stuff kinda makes me feel a little bit funny. like when i used to climb the rope in gym class. oh yeah, wavs are up on the hub.. atleast they should be by the time you read this.. anyways. ok bye bye