View Full Version : Another dilemma. And high school kids, post your schedule.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:29 AM
My schedule for this year:

Theology 2
English 2 H
Algebra 2 H
Biology H
Bio lab
Lunch
Band 1
Spanish 2
Speech

Speech is taught by the most feared teacher I've ever heard of. I didn't know I was taking this. I kind of want to drop it. I couldn't afford to get a B in that class. And he likes to give C's. Also, I won't be ranked #1 anymore, because the other #1 has a study hall, and a 4.0 in Speech, which is the best I could do, would lower my GPA.

I don't like working hard. I don't like tough teachers. But if I drop it, he may hold it against me when I'm in his English class senior year.

Bah. Stupid school.

twilightfadez
08-13-2003, 11:34 AM
well from personal experience i had a teacher that scared the shit outta me.....this was in fall of 99, in college, i was taking architectural photography
i swear i thought he was Hitler's re-encarnation
and by the end of the semester, i udnerstood why he was so tough and pushy. i did some of my best photo work with that man
take this as an opportunity for you, and dont let other people decide for you
oh, and working hard in life is really the only way to get what you want
sorry to burst your bubble
but then again youre young
wait so am i

ah ok bye

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Hah, I know I need to work hard.

I worked really hard last year...and it wasn't too bad. This year is going to be much much harder though. I put a lot of pressure on myself, and that's never fun.

And this guy isn't just pushy. He's insulting. He'll take something you worked on for hours and hours and hours and five you an F and write sarcastic comments all over it (such as, 'Good thought........NOT!'). I don't really wanna have to deal with it.

twilightfadez
08-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Eulogy
Hah, I know I need to work hard.

I worked really hard last year...and it wasn't too bad. This year is going to be much much harder though. I put a lot of pressure on myself, and that's never fun.

And this guy isn't just pushy. He's insulting. He'll take something you worked on for hours and hours and hours and five you an F and write sarcastic comments all over it (such as, 'Good thought........NOT!'). I don't really wanna have to deal with it.

well if that is the case then report him
we did that for one of out teachers (my lighting design teach) and he got fired [he asked everyone for a 30 dollar check at the beginning to cover "photocopies" and we never got shit]
most of the time students over exagerate when they describe why they dislike a teacher...believe me high school is a joke compared to the things you'll be doing once you get outta therre
try balancing a full time job, full time college and any other activities you may have :erm

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Graveflower

hmm?
Honors classes are weighted. An A in those gets you a 5.0.

Me and said girl have the same number of honors classes, but since I would have one more regular class than she would, I would have a lower GPA.

I suck at explaining things, but yeah.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by twilightfadez

well if that is the case then report him
we did that for one of out teachers (my lighting design teach) and he got fired [he asked everyone for a 30 dollar check at the beginning to cover "photocopies" and we never got shit]
most of the time students over exagerate when they describe why they dislike a teacher...believe me high school is a joke compared to the things you'll be doing once you get outta therre
try balancing a full time job, full time college and any other activities you may have :erm

Nah. My mom had him. My sister had him. I saw her papers and saw what he wrote on them. What's weird is that most people end up liking him and such, but they still hate the way he teaches and the way he grades stuff. I don't need him as a friend or anything, so if he's gonna give me a C, I don't want to take his class. heh.

And I realize most of you would trade work loads with me any day, and I'm fully aware that I have it pretty easy....but why not make it a little easier? I'm only a sophomore. hah. And not only would it be easier without the class, it would raise my GPA.

Nimrod's Son
08-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Theology 2
English 2 H
Algebra 2 H
Biology H
Bio lab
Lunch
Band 1
Spanish 2
Speech
What, schools don't require gym anymore?

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
What, schools don't require gym anymore?

We take it freshman and junior years.

But I really don't think it should be a requirement for kids who are already involved with athletics. I don't see the point.

twilightfadez
08-13-2003, 11:48 AM

Nah. My mom had him. My sister had him. I saw her papers and saw what he wrote on them. What's weird is that most people end up liking him and such, but they still hate the way he teaches and the way he grades stuff. I don't need him as a friend or anything, so if he's gonna give me a C, I don't want to take his class. heh.

And I realize most of you would trade work loads with me any day, and I'm fully aware that I have it pretty easy....but why not make it a little easier? I'm only a sophomore. hah. And not only would it be easier without the class, it would raise my GPA.

*pats you on the head*
i guess enjoy it while you can

but anyway....i am much happier with my life in college than i was in high school..well it's a long story
but i like working and keeping busy most of the time

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:50 AM

i guess enjoy it while you can

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Nimrod's Son
08-13-2003, 11:50 AM

We take it freshman and junior years.

That's silly..

.. and not all athletics are equal. Shotput isn't the same as cross country, nor is golf equal to football.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Graveflower

I didn't know that because I was too stupid to get into honors classes.

Oh. I see.

I don't think that's a standard system though. It seems kind of dumb that an A can lower your GPA.

cowbite
08-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Senior year

Semester 1
Programming I
AP US Gov't / AP English (Alternate days)
AP Calculus AB
Chemistry II

Semester 2
Programming II
AP US Gov't / AP English (Alternate days)
AP Calculus BC
AP Chemistry

Sports: Cross Country, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:52 AM
That's silly..

.. and not all athletics are equal. Shotput isn't the same as cross country, nor is golf equal to football.

Why's that silly?

And I don't think it's all that important for every high school student to be athletically well-rounded.

Nimrod's Son
08-13-2003, 11:53 AM

Why's that silly?

And I don't think it's all that important for every high school student to be athletically well-rounded. Why not get rid of hygene education as well, so that kids will get the idea that it's ok to be fat, lazy, AND filthy?

twilightfadez
08-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Why not get rid of hygene education as well, so that kids will get the idea that it's ok to be fat, lazy, AND filthy?

i always hated gym class but it helped a lot, and i got a great butt after running endless laps around the football field

oh those where the days

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Why not get rid of hygene education as well, so that kids will get the idea that it's ok to be fat, lazy, AND filthy?

What?

Pretty much any athletic activity will give a student a sufficient amount of exercise. There are exceptions, but not too many.

Kids who are fat and lazy should be required to take P.E. Kids who aren't fat and lazy shouldn't. Maybe participation in athletic activities isn't enough to distinguish between the two groups, but then let's just use something else.

twilightfadez
08-13-2003, 12:03 PM
i heard on Howie today that 53% of New Yorkers are obese/overwieght
how sad is that? :(

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 12:06 PM
i heard on Howie today that 53% of New Yorkers are obese/overwieght
how sad is that? :(

Overweight could mean just a few pounds though, right?

I mean, if you walked down the streets in NYC, would you notice that over half the people were fat?

Maybe you would, I dunno. I've never been there.

sawdust restaurants
08-13-2003, 12:06 PM
From someone who was tied for #1: Being #1 really isn't important at all. Take the classes you want and do well in them. That's all that matters.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
From someone who was tied for #1: Being #1 really isn't important at all. Take the classes you want and do well in them. That's all that matters.

It's important for my mother! Heh.

And eventually, I'll probably drop to at least #2. So I guess that's not that big of a deal. I guess as long as you're in the top 10%, class rank isn't very important.

I'm just trying to justify being a pussy and dropping the class.

miss world
08-13-2003, 12:14 PM
i'm not positive (as i lost my schedule) but i think it goes like this first quarter:

art 9 - Description: This is an introductory course to 10-12 art electives. It focuses on acrylic painting, printmaking, ceramics and design.

english 9 - Description: This required freshman course *******s literature, writing, spelling, grammar and vocabulary development. There will be emphasis on developing critical thinking skills along with learning how to analyze literature on a more abstract level. Students will read short stories, a novel, poetry, and other forms of literature. The development of multi-paragraph compositions and creative works will be a major focus of composition, with attention given to grammar and spelling. Oral presentation techniques will also be taught.

word processing - Description: This is a one-semester course recommended for all high school students to give each student a basic skill in keyboarding/word processing. Whether you want to learn to type for personal use or as a basis for further education and/or employment in the business world, this is the class for you. Throughout the entire semester students will work on the IBM compatible computer system on a daily basis. Students will work with a variety of computer software programs. Students enrolled in this class will increase their proficiency in using the touch-type method and will learn how to create research papers, business and personal letters, memos, tables, resumes, letters of application, and many other types of business correspondence. A Microsoft PowerPoint presentation is developed. You will also use graphics to create flyers, posters, newsletters, etc. A unit will also be dedicated to exploring a variety of careers.

physical science 9 - Description: Physical Science is a required one-semester course that explores the chemical and physical aspects of science. Areas of study *******: natural forces, energy, laws of motion, simple machines, states of matter, atomic structure, chemical bonding, organic chemistry, nuclear chemistry, electricity, magnetism, light and sound. A major emphasis is placed on lab work with one lab related research project usually assigned.

oh joy.

sawdust restaurants
08-13-2003, 12:15 PM
It's important for my mother! Heh.

Seriously, don't take that shit from her.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

Seriously, don't take that shit from her.

Mehh. I don't, really. It's just something that would make her happy. She doesn't bitch at me about my grades too often. She doesn't need to. I know what I need to do.

...and apparently, I am stuck with the Speech class anyway. A friend of mine tried to drop it and couldn't. All study halls and other electives in that time slot are full. ha.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by miss world

Block scheduling? Or..?

miss world
08-13-2003, 12:22 PM

Block scheduling? Or..?

block scheduling.

7th + 8th grade we had six half block classes and one full.

Nimrod's Son
08-13-2003, 12:23 PM
Kids who are fat and lazy should be required to take P.E. Kids who aren't fat and lazy shouldn't. It's ideas like these that lawsuits are made of.

miss world
08-13-2003, 12:25 PM
we only have to take gym one quarter a year up until tenth.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 12:28 PM
It's ideas like these that lawsuits are made of.

Oh.

Well then we'll make everyone take P.E. because some kids are out of shape.

Nimrod's Son
08-13-2003, 12:29 PM

Oh.

Well then we'll make everyone take P.E. because some kids are out of shape. We make everyone take health because some kids are unhealthy.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 12:30 PM
We make everyone take health because some kids are unhealthy.

I suppose it is the easiest solution.

Nothing's perfect.

Eulogy
08-13-2003, 12:31 PM
But really, shouldn't parents be responsible for their kid's health and fitness?

Mr. X
08-13-2003, 12:35 PM
At my high school we only have to get two health/p.e. credits so we only have to take it through sophmore year. If you take weight training in your sophmore year you still have to take p.e. because they do drivers ed. in health. Im not sure what my actual schedule are but my classes are:

english 10 (honors block)
AP world history (block)
Chemistry (honors)
Algebra II (honors)
Health/P.E.
Weight training
Spanish III

rkjr
08-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Uh. I don't have my schedule yet, but I should get it in a couple days. We got a non-finalized version of one during the last days of school, but I can't find it right now, so I"ll just post my classes in any random order.

English 2 H
Anatomy and Physiology
Allied Health 1
Lunch
Math 10 GT (Trigonometry and a bit of Pre-Calc)
Chemisty GT
Spanish 3
World History GT

And, yeah, we only needed to have one credit of PE here, which I took last year. I actually wanted to keep doing it though, since I'm not exactly physically active in any other way, which is why I'm running and working out on a semi-regular basis more.

neopryn
08-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Health
English 4 CAS (higher than honors)
Calculus AP
Psychology/Sociology H
Physics 2 H
PE
Computer Science 4