View Full Version : What band's fallen farthest from grace in the past 5 or so years?

sppunk
08-11-2003, 02:28 AM
I'll say the obvious weezer.

But, Metallica, STP, SP and debatably Pearl Jam have done the same.

This thread isn't to hate on any band, or love on any band, just looking at the album sales, popularity, "true" crowd appeal, etc.

Mayfuck
08-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Liz Phair

sawdust restaurants
08-11-2003, 02:38 AM
5 years ago was 1998, so that disqualifies most of the people mentioned in this thread--Liz Phair, STP, Metallica, Weezer--because they already sucked in 1998.

matt reeder
08-11-2003, 02:49 AM
I wouldn't say that Pearl Jam has fallen from grace. They are about as popular now, maybe a little less, as they were in 1998. If we were talking about 1994, then it is a different story. But I think that regardless of "popularity" (since demographics have changed quite a bit, since only 12 year-olds buy new CDs now), Pearl jam are still ridiculously popular. They can sell out almost any venue in the country and sell millions of copies of their live releases, no small feat. People just don't buy their albums, often not knowing they are even out.

I wouldn't say Weezer has fallen from grace (unless you are talking about their music). They seem to be more popular now than ever.

rkjr
08-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Uh, yeah. Weezer are actually a lot more popular now (or were at the time of the last album's promotion) than they were in 1998 (from what I hear at least). Pinkerton was pretty much a commercial failure and they had really only a cult fanbase, but the Green album debuted at like #4, and their regained popularity continued with Maladroit. Of course, they suck they much harder than they did 5 years ago (I can't see how you could've thought they had sucked then, with Pinkerton being the last thing they released), but supposedly that's not what you're going for.

Same for Pearl Jam, kind of. I think they suck now (although I really like Yield, which was 5 years ago), but they still sell out arenas and all and have a solid fanbase. Basically what matt reeder said seems to be true.

And I'm guessing Metallica seem to still be pretty damn popular still. I don't know how popular they were in 1998; I never payed attention to music back then, but while sucking back then and sucking now, they have a huge live act and fanbase (wasn't St. Anger #1 for a week or 2?).

matt reeder
08-11-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by rkjr

Same for Pearl Jam, kind of. I think they suck now (although I really like Yield, which was 5 years ago), but they still sell out arenas and all and have a solid fanbase. Basically what matt reeder said seems to be true.

Yeah. Both times I've seen Pearl Jam, the show has sold out and everyone in attendance is going apeshit for almost every song. Pearl Jam is my favorite band, and I realize that their albums don't sell as well anymore (the last two take a long time to get into), but they are still enormously popular.

cashcarbodies
08-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Marilyn Manson. Sure, Hollywood sold 500,000 copies (at least) and his new album debuted at #1 but he has been spiraling in a slow downward slope for quite some time now.

cashcarbodies
08-11-2003, 03:25 AM
Oh, and perhaps the most obvious of all: Offspring. Compare Americana's sales to the Conspiracy of One.

Tessellation
08-11-2003, 03:45 AM
toss-up between Radiohead and Weezer

Tessellation
08-11-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by cashcarbodies
Marilyn Manson. Sure, Hollywood sold 500,000 copies (at least) and his new album debuted at #1 but he has been spiraling in a slow downward slope for quite some time now.

his albums have always lacked cohesion. popularity-wise, he's doing a bit better than he was in 2000, but he's never going to have a number one again.

Mayfuck
08-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Oh I got one. Mogwai.

eyesbomb
08-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
Oh I got one. Mogwai.

oh come on, pal

Mayfuck
08-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by eyesbomb

oh come on, pal

They put out nice albums, but nothing comes close to Ten Rapid or Young Team

Elvis The Fat Years
08-11-2003, 06:26 AM
poison

eyesbomb
08-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

nothing comes close to Ten Rapid or Young Team

Four Great Points?

:cool:

neopryn
08-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Live

Debaser
08-11-2003, 03:04 PM
no doubt use to be cool. eh..maybe.

Boner
08-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Garth Brooks
Kid Rock
Green Day
Rage Against the Machine
Ween
Tool

Tessellation
08-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces

Green Day

WARNING is fantastic. NIMROD is a must-buy, too (np: 'prosthetic head' and 'haushinka')

sawdust restaurants
08-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Garth Brooks

Didn't even think about that, but yeah, if we're counting solo artists, he should win just for the Chris Gaines thing.

Eulogy
08-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Garbage.

Although I do like BG kind of.

And don't tell me they've always sucked or that Version 2.0 sucked because then you'd be lying.

sawdust restaurants
08-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
And don't tell me they've always sucked

They've always sucked.

Eulogy
08-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

They've always sucked.

You're a lying whore.

alisonmonster
08-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by cashcarbodies
Oh, and perhaps the most obvious of all: Offspring. Compare Americana's sales to the Conspiracy of One.

yeah , today i was JUST thinking- what the hell happened to the Offspring?

The Counting Crows

Moby- not a band but whatever

NIN- still great but i don't know what happened to the guy?:confused:

The Ghandarvas-:confused:

Kid Rock

sppunk
08-12-2003, 12:57 AM
I wish I could add. I meant 6, or since '97.

sppunk
08-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Oh, and you can't judge a band's fall from grace by popularity I don't think, or at least that's not what I meant by this thread.

I meant by music in general. Sure, PJ sells out shows, but they play material released prior to 2000 or before. Same with weezer, to me. They have young teeny-bopper fans, but their music sucks compared to Blue or Pinkerton, save for a few songs.

Ugly
08-12-2003, 01:30 AM
Offspring probably dropped the hardest and the fastest. I think thier biggest mainstream hit was "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)". Cute song, but even the other singles off Americana "The Kids Aren't Alright" (which is a much better tune) didn't have that crossover appeal.

Personally, I dropped out on them after Americana. I actually kind of like that album, but Conspiracy of One singles did nothing for me. Though thier newest single, I forget the name of it, had alot more of a harder edge to it and less on the pop-punk side. And for the record, I really like Smash. Solid album.

kevinjboconnor
08-12-2003, 04:07 AM
if pearl jam didnt exist the world would suck

if weezer didnt exist it would kind of suck

wait fallen from grace what is the question.

everyone hated the pumpkins after adore. i remember believing Billy that it was a techno record so i didnt buy it but then i read the guitar world interview at a friends house. actually my friend told me it was a techno record and that it was going to suck so i believed him until i realized that he didnt know what he was talking about and all he did was hear the same thing from someone else. i think it's great that Billy semi succesfully doomed his own album

anyways that's off subject , i say the pumpkins

Nidhogg
08-14-2003, 03:14 AM
Garth Brooks
Kid Rock
Green Day
Rage Against the Machine
Ween
Tool

I agree with you on all except Ween and Tool.

Although it's been almost a decade rather than five years, Metallica.

Transformer
08-15-2003, 03:04 AM
Jeremy Jordan

Boycott Graceland
08-15-2003, 03:31 AM
weezer (obviously) and the eels. souljacker was barely tolerable. shootenanny is rediculous. try to compare a shit album like that to a masterpiece like electro-shock blues.

Gumby
08-15-2003, 04:23 AM
live
everclear
offspring
greenday

Nidhogg
08-15-2003, 04:33 AM
Oh lord yes, I forgot Everclear.

PkPhuoko
08-15-2003, 04:46 AM
Matchbox 20- jesus christ hates them
Limp Bizkit- even carson daily hates them
Fastball- forgot about those gimps didnt ya?
Everclear- they tried to sell out and even sell outs didnt like them
SevenMaryThree- the fact they sold 20 records in the first place was a god damn fluke

Boycott Graceland
08-15-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by PkPhuoko
Matchbox 20- jesus christ hates them
Limp Bizkit- even carson daily hates them
you liked the in the first place? eesh.

YeehaJamesIha
08-15-2003, 03:05 PM
No Doubt.