View Full Version : outkast is the radiohead of hip hop...

french_rap_sucks
08-10-2003, 04:39 PM
this came into my head the other day. am i insane, or does this make sense to you? discuss.

Ihaman
08-10-2003, 05:06 PM
erykah badu is the bjork of hip hop

Tessellation
08-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by french_rap_sucks
this came into my head the other day. am i insane, or does this make sense to you? discuss.

oh, come on. Outkast isn't THAT bad.

THRILLHO
08-10-2003, 06:02 PM
maybe in terms of popularity or fan-bases.
musically i'd say someone like el-p or rjd2 is more like radiohead in a hip hop context.

Travis Meekz
08-10-2003, 06:59 PM
I agree in regards to originality

sawdust restaurants
08-10-2003, 07:09 PM
I think it's a weird but fair comparison. In regards to continually pushing boundaries (though Radiohead hasn't really done that with their last album) and putting out consistently quality material, you could argue that nobody can top RH/Outkast in their respective genres.

Fattening Ass
08-10-2003, 08:47 PM
hmm.

I heard that 'polaroid picture' song that you white, college hip-hop wannabes fap over. Funny that i heard it on modern rock radio. :rolleyes:

i wonder if the local rap station is playing the new jane's addiction.

:rolleyes:

sawdust restaurants
08-10-2003, 09:24 PM
God damn it, Gil, you got us. All us wiggers only like Outkast because some mainstream rock station decided to play them.

Fattening Ass
08-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
God damn it, Gil, you got us. All us wiggers only like Outkast because some mainstream rock station decided to play them. wrong interpretation.

sawdust restaurants
08-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Fattening Ass
wrong interpretation.

Look, dude:

1. I don't do programming for that radio station.
2. The fact that anybody here is white or in college has little to nothing to do with their ability to enjoy hip-hop music. It's arguably the most important popular music of the last 20 years, and when people do it as well as Outkast, color barriers get broken down.
3. Besides, said "Polaroid picture" song sounds more like Prince than it does anything else. It's not terribly out of place on a rock radio station, though next to Jane's Addiction I can see why you would think that.
4. If any radio station is playing the new Jane's Addiction, I feel sorry for its listeners.

Mayfuck
08-11-2003, 12:26 AM
Radiohead are the Outkast of rock.

pastor
08-11-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

And with that, Mayfuck reorders our perceptual paradigm. That Julio, always taking a step back and seeing the big picture.

mpp
08-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

i like it

Fattening Ass
08-16-2003, 02:12 AM

Look, dude:

1. I don't do programming for that radio station.
2. The fact that anybody here is white or in college has little to nothing to do with their ability to enjoy hip-hop music. It's arguably the most important popular music of the last 20 years, and when people do it as well as Outkast, color barriers get broken down.
3. Besides, said "Polaroid picture" song sounds more like Prince than it does anything else. It's not terribly out of place on a rock radio station, though next to Jane's Addiction I can see why you would think that.
4. If any radio station is playing the new Jane's Addiction, I feel sorry for its listeners.

:noway:

I don't know the title of said "Polaroid picture" song.

I think my main gripe is that hip-hop/rap shouldn't be played on modern rock radio. Its called ROCK radio for a reason. There are other stations devoted to that music. It just pisses me off when i actually turn on the radio, and expect to hear rock, but then hear 'Dr. Green Thumb'.

Oh and no need to defend your wiggerism. Its just totally stereotypical of most white, college boys.

sawdust restaurants
08-16-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Fattening Ass
Oh and no need to defend your wiggerism. Its just totally stereotypical of most white, college boys.

(Polaroid picture = "Hey Ya," just for the record.)

Anyway, I know it's pretty stereotypical of most white college kids, but I don't know if it's "wiggerism." I think we've moved past that in a very large sense nowadays. Four out of every five hip-hop albums are bought by Caucasians, which in many ways is a good thing and in many ways is a bad thing--rap is in the mainstream in a big way, which in a very real way undermines its foundations as an urban music, but it's also brought African-American musicians new respectability and forced the music to expand its boundaries. I know I'm probably not going to convince you, but mainstream rap for the last 5 years has undergone a huge creative and commercial explosion, and that's in large part due to the fact that the music's become a universal thing so there's a need to constantly push forward. I guess my point (and what this entire mini-ramble has to do with Netphorian "indie kids" listening to hip-hop) is that it makes just as much sense for a white woman to listen to rap nowadays and enjoy it as a black man; it's acceptable and legitimate now. That's not to defend myself, because frankly, I couldn't care less what people think about what I'm listening to! It's just an observation.

Mayfuck
08-16-2003, 02:33 AM
You guys are racistises.

Boner
08-16-2003, 02:43 AM

Some mildly enlightening diatribe I am now using in defense of my addiction to rap music.

rubbersoul
08-16-2003, 02:48 AM
Radiohead sounds too self conscious to move me anymore. I don't get that from Outkast so the comparison doesn't make any sense to me.

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-16-2003, 04:05 AM

(Polaroid picture = "Hey Ya," just for the record.)

Anyway, I know it's pretty stereotypical of most white college kids, but I don't know if it's "wiggerism." I think we've moved past that in a very large sense nowadays. Four out of every five hip-hop albums are bought by Caucasians, which in many ways is a good thing and in many ways is a bad thing--rap is in the mainstream in a big way, which in a very real way undermines its foundations as an urban music, but it's also brought African-American musicians new respectability and forced the music to expand its boundaries. I know I'm probably not going to convince you, but mainstream rap for the last 5 years has undergone a huge creative and commercial explosion, and that's in large part due to the fact that the music's become a universal thing so there's a need to constantly push forward. I guess my point (and what this entire mini-ramble has to do with Netphorian "indie kids" listening to hip-hop) is that it makes just as much sense for a white woman to listen to rap nowadays and enjoy it as a black man; it's acceptable and legitimate now. That's not to defend myself, because frankly, I couldn't care less what people think about what I'm listening to! It's just an observation.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Shut the fuck up dude. Just listen to it and enjoy it for fucks sake.

PS Most black kids would make fun of the rap you listen to.</font>

french_rap_sucks
08-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Shut the fuck up dude. Just listen to it and enjoy it for fucks sake.

PS Most black kids would make fun of the rap you listen to.</font>

lol, like you know any black kids, let alone what they talk about.