View Full Version : the robot ate me

Boycott Graceland
08-07-2003, 03:51 PM
i just downloaded their album. they sound like they're trying to be grandaddy, the microphones, and the flaming lips. they lack a certain soul. i don't like them very much.

Irrelevant
08-07-2003, 04:00 PM
i think they're alright in an ironic kind of way.

blahblahblah
08-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland
i just downloaded their album. they sound like they're trying to be grandaddy, the microphones, and the flaming lips. they lack a certain soul. i don't like them very much.

you downloaded an album for free I spent 6 months working on, have posted 3,000 times on a messageboard, and say I lack a certain soul. i'll make teacups out of your intestines. you probably read pitchfork too. i hate you and your soul. you are the antichrist of people that supposedly listen to music. that's all forever. love,

me
<P>
At The Jesus Christ Invitational Murder Marathon (02.04)
Politics, 1920s 1960s found sound, Chinese instruments, and no synths or guitars: all put together into a beautifully intricate and unexpected follow up to They Ate Themselves. This is not an album about Jesus Christ murdering people. This is not Hip Hop. This is not Indie or Rock. This is not as much as it is. This album mocks fear and Says Something. Burn On A Cross In My Front Yard. Everyone is Afraid of Talking. Homeland Security. You are Being Quiet. I Am Owned By The Government. We have a culture that thrives on being artfully ambiguous, obsessed with sex, possessions and an intangible afterlife. Stop Being Cool. Stop Worrying About Useless Shit. You Might Die Tomorrow. You Might be Arrested For Feeling. Be Alive. Do Something. Do Not Listen To Me Or Anyone. Think. Say Anything or Nothing. Be Alive. Do Something.

Boycott Graceland
08-28-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by blahblahblah
you downloaded an album for free I spent 6 months working on, have posted 3,000 times on a messageboard, and say I lack a certain soul. i'll make teacups out of your intestines. you probably read pitchfork too. i hate you and your soul. you are the antichrist of people that supposedly listen to music. that's all forever. love,

me
eh, i still don't like your music very much.

jenniferkate
08-28-2003, 05:21 AM

me

gracious. color my interest piqued.

smashingjj
08-28-2003, 09:45 AM

eh, i still don't like your music very much. you can't say that. he just blew all your arguments away.

Boycott Graceland
08-28-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by smashingjj
you can't say that. he just blew all your arguments away.
OH MY GOD, YOU'RE RIGHT.

oh wait, he just bitched and moaned about my opinion. nevermind.

blahblahblah
08-28-2003, 02:29 PM

OH MY GOD, YOU'RE RIGHT.

oh wait, he just bitched and moaned about my opinion. nevermind.

Bright Eyes doesn't like my music either. He bites his own arm off in a closet and needs people to pamper him around on tours because he has so much soul. Maybe you'll know the real him when you buy the box set. Have you met or played shows with the people you claim to respect? Or do you just read interviews about them in ezines and identify with an indie pop culture that is just as bad as the mainstream?

Wouldn't you tell some kid to fuck off if he stole your favorite shirt (that you spent months sewing every last thread) and then proceeded to brag about it on a messageboard and say not only did he have your shirt but it didn't fit right and was the wrong color? Souless is almost everything around everywhere. Souless is sitting around on a computer all day looking for the latest band to be cooler than when our goverment is hiring members of the Baathist Gestapo in Iraq to find and kill other murderers. I am not upset that you don't like my music. People have tastes. I am upset at a culture that allows people like you to exist and not be turned into teacups for clogging real cultural and social discourse. Opinions are fine, just don't be an idiot. Love,

me

Boycott Graceland
08-28-2003, 02:51 PM
i don't read zines. i don't read pitchfork often, other when someone links me to an article on it. i'm not a hipster. i don't go to shows mindlessly, just to say i was there/be seen.

i have played shows with bands i like, as well as met others. the only thing that you actually know about me is that i post on this messageboard and i don't like your album. so stop assuming.

that was a nice analogy, though.

Sean Casey
08-28-2003, 02:53 PM

Bright Eyes doesn't like my music either. He bites his own arm off in a closet and needs people to pamper him around on tours because he has so much soul. Maybe you'll know the real him when you buy the box set. Have you met or played shows with the people you claim to respect? Or do you just read interviews about them in ezines and identify with an indie pop culture that is just as bad as the mainstream?

Wouldn't you tell some kid to fuck off if he stole your favorite shirt (that you spent months sewing every last thread) and then proceeded to brag about it on a messageboard and say not only did he have your shirt but it didn't fit right and was the wrong color? Souless is almost everything around everywhere. Souless is sitting around on a computer all day looking for the latest band to be cooler than when our goverment is hiring members of the Baathist Gestapo in Iraq to find and kill other murderers. I am not upset that you don't like my music. People have tastes. I am upset at a culture that allows people like you to exist and not be turned into teacups for clogging real cultural and social discourse. Opinions are fine, just don't be an idiot. Love,

me

hey, your album sucks

mercurial
08-28-2003, 05:38 PM
I'd pay to form an opinion ... but it's hard when distribution to new zealand is expensive I guess.

Mayfuck
08-28-2003, 06:31 PM

me

Okay so I took your advice, got rid of all the hip new stuff I listen to and bought your album, but your album still sucks. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it so it won't suck anymore?

Blank
08-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Souless is almost everything around everywhere. Souless is sitting around on a computer all day looking for the latest band to be cooler than when our goverment is hiring members of the Baathist Gestapo in Iraq to find and kill other murderers. I am not upset that you don't like my music. People have tastes. I am upset at a culture that allows people like you to exist and not be turned into teacups for clogging real cultural and social discourse. Opinions are fine, just don't be an idiot. Love,

me
Dear God. You had to bring the government into it. Do something new with yourself buddy....it might draw some better opinions, and you might expand our culture then.

Anyways, obviously the comparisons stung, and must be truthful. And who the fuck should care about what the artists are like outside of the shows? What does that have to do with the music.

Love,
me

Blank
08-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Oh and you rip off Creepy D as well...except they are much better and culturally stimulating.

Harry Kellerman
08-28-2003, 08:26 PM
What's so wrong about somebody not liking your album? If you really are in the band then you would know that you don't make music for everyone. This person happens to not like it. That doesn't make your music inherently bad and it doesn't make him inherently evil/souless. It's dumb for you get this adamant about something as petty as this, I would expect somebody who can call themselves a professional musician would be able to be professional enough to take criticism in stride.

Ihaman
08-29-2003, 01:44 AM
Dont download MP3 files, you're stealing from the artist. Buy used CDs, you're stealing from the artist. He never liked his music anyways, he just wanted money. Do it for free, avoid the money machine, the music is your currency, the feedback is your salary, spend it on a new project.

blahblahblah
08-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Harry Kellerman
What's so wrong about somebody not liking your album? If you really are in the band then you would know that you don't make music for everyone. This person happens to not like it. That doesn't make your music inherently bad and it doesn't make him inherently evil/souless. It's dumb for you get this adamant about something as petty as this, I would expect somebody who can call themselves a professional musician would be able to be professional enough to take criticism in stride.

ah, i don't care that people don't like my music. it is fairly funny that they care enough to hate it...considering I have done everything myself with what little income i can spare besides rent, i'm 23, have no financial support, no family, no 'record' label. I get called souless, pretentious, contrived and a million things on one hand and then on the other had there are major publications that are for some reason covering the cd and being nice. there are 300-500 college radio stations, hundreds of publications, and millions of kids that are ready to hate your music if they can. to think that I could be foolish enough to play with a stupid 60's drum machine under an accordion and silly synths because I want to make money and kids on a smashing pumpkins board happy is just dumb.

the new record is about crispy christians, tossing africans into ditches while i'm sampling 30's polka and childrens records. yeah, i'm really making a profit off this and hoping people will like my music.

my point to addressing graceland was the irony in his criticism and how it is indicative of larger issues culturally. i can't think of one time in college when i downloaded mp3's i didn't like and then went on to a messageboard with the sole purpose of saying they sucked. it's a mindset that I can't grasp, especially when people like me dedicate their lives to making obscure music that most people don't really want to hear, will never make any money off of it, and have never even hoped for anything but doing what i love. don't get mad at me because this messageboard is lonely. Love,

everyone