View Full Version : What's NOT to enjoy about APC's music?

Salem
08-07-2003, 03:52 AM
Enlighten me.

Salem
08-07-2003, 03:55 AM
Fuck. You're right. Thanks, you just ruined the band for me asshole.

Netphorian Gadabout
08-07-2003, 09:56 AM
The singer from Tool is bald, though, unlike the singer from APC.

Ugly
08-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Tool rocks much harder.

Lie
08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Salem
Fuck. You're right. Thanks, you just ruined the band for me asshole.

You asked, asshole.

Boner
08-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Completely generic pseudo-intelligent Tool-esque rock. I think the question is what's not to like about APC if you like Tool. I loathe tool.

El Savior
08-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces
Completely generic pseudo-intelligent Tool-esque rock. I think the question is what's not to like about APC if you like Tool. I loathe tool.

ok. APC is nothing like tool. at all.

guz
08-07-2003, 12:27 PM
this weak and powerless single is just that, weak and powerless. i really hope the rest of the album is much better.

MstrGhost
08-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by El Savior

ok. APC is nothing like tool. at all.

amen to that, i'm a big tool fan, but in mer de noms I can only stand magdalena.

sawdust restaurants
08-07-2003, 02:27 PM
APC is a lot more like Tool than most other bands.

El Savior
08-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
APC is a lot more like Tool than most other bands.

that is so fucking retarded. if APC had a different singer not one person would've ever at any point compared those two bands. they sound absolutely nothing like each other.

sawdust restaurants
08-07-2003, 02:44 PM
I beg to differ, and I'm not just talking about the Maynard connection.

Both bands are coming from the same basic roots in heavy metal and progressive rock. If you can't hear the huge Sabbath and Rush influences in both bands, I don't really know what to tell you. The difference is that Tool is more about the rhythms and musical complexities of those bands, and APC is about their more melodic concepts. There's innovation in some cases, particularly on Undertow, but I don't think it's unfair to say that both bands are just 90s/00s versions of 70s rock.

sppunk
08-07-2003, 02:52 PM
How about the singing, the music, the videos, the albums, the members and the pathetic attempt to be "new age" yet be as contrived as Creed.

El Savior
08-07-2003, 03:06 PM

but I don't think it's unfair to say that both bands are just 90s/00s versions of 70s rock.

sooooo tool sounds like the smashing pumpkins? ok.

sawdust restaurants
08-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by El Savior
sooooo tool sounds like the smashing pumpkins? ok.

No, but APC certainly bares some similarities. Read my posts before you start to flame me, boy.

El Savior
08-07-2003, 03:48 PM

No, but APC certainly bares some similarities. Read my posts before you start to flame me, boy.

i wasn't flaming you at all.

and sure they have similarities. guitars bass drums and maynard. but that's it.

Salem
08-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by sppunk
How about the singing, the music, the videos, the albums, the members

Way to critisize the entire band while being vague enough to avoid pointing out anything with actual substance. Someone who's never heard APC in their life could say something like "the singing, the videos, the albums, them members." WHAT about the music, videos, albums are bad?

I disagree with those who say APC sounds like a watered down version of TOOL because Maynard's in it. Of course the band's going to have a tool-influenced sound. Maynard has a style of writing and singing. What exactly would you expect differently with Maynard fronting? Other than that, I believe TOOL and APC are uncannily different.

guz
08-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Of course the band's going to have a tool-influenced sound. Maynard has a style of writing and singing. What exactly would you expect differently with Maynard fronting?Maynard had very little to do with the lyrics on Mer de Noms.

Mooney
08-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces

like them or not, apc is far from generic.

NewFreshness
08-07-2003, 04:13 PM

Way to critisize the entire band while being vague enough to avoid pointing out anything with actual substance. Someone who's never heard APC in their life could say something like "the singing, the videos, the albums, them members." WHAT about the music, videos, albums are bad?

I disagree with those who say APC sounds like a watered down version of TOOL because Maynard's in it. Of course the band's going to have a tool-influenced sound. Maynard has a style of writing and singing. What exactly would you expect differently with Maynard fronting? Other than that, I believe TOOL and APC are uncannily different.

Wait a second...

If Billy Howerdel wrote all of APCs songs between the 80s and 90s and without Maynard's help, using him only for lyrics and delivery... and if Maynard doesn't write any of Tool's music (once again just lyrics)... then how in the hell is he going to bring a Tool influence?

Sawdust was right.

Salem
08-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by NewFreshness

Wait a second...

If Billy Howerdel wrote all of APCs songs between the 80s and 90s and without Maynard's help, using him only for lyrics and delivery... and if Maynard doesn't write any of Tool's music (once again just lyrics)... then how in the hell is he going to bring a Tool influence?

Sawdust was right.

There's still the vocal delivery. I'd say that's key.

And once again, I don't hear a lot of similarity in the instrumentation of APC compared to TOOL...I could go into spacifics but it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

Netphorian Gadabout
08-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by guz
Maynard had very little to do with the lyrics on Mer de Noms.

Source? I seriously doubt Maynard takes time off from Tool to sing someone else's lyrics. The book credits "All music and lyrics by Maynard James Keenan and Billy Howerdel." I always assumed Billy wrote the music and Maynard the lyrics.

Salem
08-07-2003, 04:32 PM
I know Billy wrote some of the lyrics....but I do believe maynard wrote his share too.

guz
08-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Howerdel had the majority of the album done before Maynard even spoke with them about joining on. Howerdel was ISO a female vocalist, and during that search Maynard sorta jumped in. Maynard did alter a few of the lyrics, but supposedly it was nothing major. Anyhow, this was everywhere when the album was released....in fact APC's main site bio's page may even mention Howerdel writing the lyrics, I don't remember. Do a simple search, it's a well known fact.

sppunk
08-07-2003, 06:21 PM

No cohesive feeling. No emotion. Nothing out of the ordinary. No substance. No feeling. Music is boring. Music is plain. Music is contrived and false. Members are dead on stage. Videos are lame.

Good enough for you, assclown?

Mood ring
08-07-2003, 06:23 PM
I think Tool is very influenced by Rush, but APC certainly is not. That's a big difference right there.

Tool writes alot in Drop-D...APC not nearly as much.

Maynard sings much differently for each band. He's almost too good as a vocalist.

I personally like APC better...I can appreciate Tool but thier music gets monotonous.

that being said...Anthrax's recent album kicks both these bands asses. so...go Anthrax!!!

D.
08-07-2003, 06:29 PM
boooooooooooring

Salem
08-07-2003, 07:02 PM

No cohesive feeling. No emotion. No feeling.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Music is boring. Music is plain.

Top quality argument, repeating the same things over and over like that.

Music is contrived and false. Videos are lame.

That's sure a drastic increase in specificity compared to your last post

Members are dead on stage.

See the topic title.

Good enough for you, assclown?

Whoa, just whoa. Settle down junior.

Salem
08-07-2003, 07:16 PM
I saw them a few years ago, unfortunately I wasn't all that familiar with their music at the time...though I did enjoy it more than any other band I've ever heard live for the first time though...it just makes me wish I <i>had</i> been more familiar with them at the time- It'd had been way better:(

Ah well...lollapallooza awaits..

Salem
08-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Hyperbole

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, but have you seen APC? I think their live show is actually really good. or at least, it was with Paz. lots of energy, lots of sexiness all around. sounded a little too much like the album, but generally it was enjoyable.

<3 Maynard's thrusting on "Thinking of You"

sppunk
08-07-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Hyperbole

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, but have you seen APC? I think their live show is actually really good. or at least, it was with Paz. lots of energy, lots of sexiness all around. sounded a little too much like the album, but generally it was enjoyable.

Yeah, my bad. I should have explained. The songs sounded identical to the album. Absolutely no vairation, no crowd interaction. They hopped around stage and looked liked they enjoyed being there, but I could have put in a cd, and watched them on TV with it on mute and it would have been the same experience.

sppunk
08-07-2003, 09:43 PM

blahdeblah.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to extend an argument on a band when there is nothing there to formulate much of a strong opinion on in the first place.

It's like telling me to bash or praise Grandaddy. I couldn't realy bash them, nor could I really praise them. That's not to say they're not a good band, though, just nothing exceptional or out-of-the-ordinary.

Step off of the APC street team and pay attention, son.

bonsor
08-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Pumpkins23836

Source?the fucking liner notes. jesus christ.

tear stained glass
08-07-2003, 10:38 PM
They're boring and not influenced by the Velvet Underground.

tear stained glass
08-07-2003, 10:39 PM
And they don't inclu<sklfj>de nearly as many organ solos as the Make Up.

Salem
08-08-2003, 06:06 AM

Yeah, it's kind of hard to extend an argument on a band when there is nothing there to formulate much of a strong opinion on in the first place.

Well you just seemed to have a strong enough negative opinion to voice your critisisms of them insatiably vaguely- I figured if it was strong enought o post about than you had some spacific quarrels with them, which I was actually curious about. I wanted to know opinions of spacific dislikes of the band's music. I'm not here to defend them.

Injektilo
08-08-2003, 09:41 AM

It's like telling me to bash or praise Grandaddy. I couldn't realy bash them, nor could I really praise them. That's not to say they're not a good band, though, just nothing exceptional or out-of-the-ordinary.

Grandaddy are a hell of alot more interesting musically than APC. To be honest I'm more familiar with Grandaddy live, but still... a hell of alot more out-of-the-ordinary.

Spaceboy917
08-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo

Grandaddy are a hell of alot more interesting musically than APC. To be honest I'm more familiar with Grandaddy live, but still... a hell of alot more out-of-the-ordinary.

Perhaps more out of the ordinary...not as enjoyable for me though.

Boner
08-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Mooney

like them or not, apc is far from generic.

funniest thing i've heard in a while.

sppunk
08-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo

Grandaddy >>>>>>>>>>> APC

It was the band that was playing when I wrote that, so I used them as an example. They're good, but in 20 years we won't be posting on a Grandaddy messageboard or anything I doubt.

Lie
08-08-2003, 03:20 PM
I can't believe you guys are sitting around comparing Grandaddy to APC for the purpose of argument.