View Full Version : Favorite Sonic Youth Album?

NewFreshness
08-05-2003, 09:27 PM
At night time, I'm likely to lean towards Confusion Is Sex. In the day, when I'm reasonable, I'll usually say Daydream Nation. But something's making me say Sister recently.

shaniqua
08-05-2003, 09:39 PM
sister... by a nose.

rank, anyone?

Sister
Evol
Washing Machine
Daydream Nation
Dirty
Experimental Jet Set
Goo
Murray Street
Mille Feuilles
The Whitey Album
Bad Moon Rising
NYC Ghosts & Flowers
Confusion Is Sex (i really couldn't get into it... it's been awhile since i've heard it though)

Tessellation
08-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Goo is my favorite.

Lee Renaldo's songs are almost always the best on their albums.

Tessellation
08-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Experimental, Jet...is the weakest album of theirs that I've listened to.

NewFreshness
08-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Just going by albums and regular Sonic Youth material...

Sister
Daydream Nation
Evol
Confusion Is Sex (tie)
Bad Moon Rising (tie)
Dirty
Exp. Jet Set
Washing Machine
Goo
Murray Street
New York City
A Thousand Leaves

Want to know what's kind of disturbing? The last album on there still gets an 8+ from me. And the top 3 get 10s.

VegasPumpkin
08-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Dirty has always been my favorite. Followed closely by Daydream Nation, Sister, and Exp... I don't want to rank the rest, there are too many.

Nothing/everything
08-06-2003, 04:50 AM
a thousand leaves.

i can't listen to daydream, without switching to a bootleg halfway. I've had the same problem with gish, you get used to the much faster live versions too much. But together with goo it's in second place.

strange_one
08-06-2003, 08:32 AM
<font color=33FFFF> believe it or not, probably NYC Ghosts And Flowers, it is something I have always been coming back to since its release. Daydream Nation is a close second, and Sister would be third</font>

NewFreshness
08-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Graveflower

Horrible.

Mustlovepitchfork.

matt reeder
08-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Daydream Nation
Sister
Evol
Murray Street
A Thousand Leaves
Washing Machine
Dirty
Jet Set
Goo
Bad Moon Rising
Confusion is Sex
NYC Ghosts and Flowers

I'm not sure if I like Sister or Evol more than Daydream Nation, but they're all classic. And Murray Street is quickly becoming classic.

SmashingZeppelins
08-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Dirty, Daydream Nation and Murray street are my top 3. My favorite depends on which one I am currently listening to.

I was also going to mention that NYC G+F sucks, but I guess that ground has already been covered. I also don't like Bad Moon Rising very much either.:erm

sawdust restaurants
08-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SmashingZeppelins
I was also going to mention that NYC G+F sucks, but I guess that ground has already been covered.

Actually, I don't think we can stress this fact enough. NYC G+F is awful. Obviously it's not the 0 that PFM gave it, but it's pretty bad. Thank heaven for Jim O'Rourke.

DeviousJ
08-06-2003, 12:44 PM

Horrible.

Correct!

NewFreshness
08-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Good lord, Graveflower. You shouldn't really take things so personally. And I was kidding... I mean, c'mon--who really love pitchfork? I mean some people use it to find out about stuff, some use it for a hit and miss guide to music. But I don't think there's a self-respecting person out there who lets it guide his complete list of tastes.

Did you happen to notice what was second to last on my list? :)

And I did notice that your list had Dirty lower than goo and murray street. That's not so according to pitchfork. I'm probably gonna be insincere in just about everything you read from me.

shaniqua
08-07-2003, 05:15 PM
man. daydream nation is overrated. it's fucking amazing, but it's overrated. i'll take underdogs EVOL and sister. but man. biking whilst listening to daydream nation is what summer days were meant for.

shaniqua
08-07-2003, 07:08 PM
schizophrenia makes sister better than daydream nation,

a-fucking men.

EVOL is a personal preference. i fucking LOVE shadow of a doubt.

Michiel
08-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Well, since Washing Machine is the only Sonic Youth album I own, I'd say Washing Machine.

Lie
08-08-2003, 02:26 PM
For some reason it's almost always hilarious when people give Sean Casey shit. I don't know why.

jczeroman
08-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Exp., Jet Set, Trash, & No Star

jet set willy
08-08-2003, 10:03 PM

LOL U MUST LOVE PITCHFORK

stop taking up all the space fat cunt.

Mayfuck
08-09-2003, 12:20 AM
I'm glad I've never heard a single song from any of these CDs.

Lie
08-09-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Lie
For some reason it's almost always hilarious when people give Sean Casey shit. I don't know why.

I think it's because they always say things like, "Good lord." He had that effect on people.