View Full Version : Anybody else read Confusion Is Next: The Sonic Youth Story?

NewFreshness
08-05-2003, 02:40 AM
It could stand to be a little more indepth with the band (and it was made right after Exp Jet Set). But hey, it's a pretty decent chronicle of their rise to icon-status.

Tessellation
08-05-2003, 03:19 AM
Yes, and I enjoyed it. Not enough info on Shelley, though. It's never been revised:(

another rock bio book I like is "This Must Be the Place" which is about Talking Heads. Very objective, but also obsessively comprehensive

Tessellation
08-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Graveflower
i've never even read our band could be your life

in fact all i have read is dream brother

"Our Band..." is another fantasic book. I first read the remarkable chapter on the Butthole Surfers in Revolver magazine (which isn't so great anymore) and I was hooked. Definitely worth buying.

Mason R Butler
08-06-2003, 11:03 PM
That U2 On The Top Of The World book or whatever it's called is a suprisingly fun read. It's like a huge magazine article, but that's okay. I would like for another Sonic Youth book to come out, maybe one as enjoyable as Come As You Are.

shaniqua
08-06-2003, 11:07 PM
man, rock bios are the only books i can really read anymore. actually, i've been meaning to borrow my roommate's copy of 'the dirt' :cool:

but yeah, i should definitely pick up confusion is next at my local bookstore.

NewFreshness
08-06-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Mason R Butler
That U2 On The Top Of The World book or whatever it's called is a suprisingly fun read. It's like a huge magazine article, but that's okay. I would like for another Sonic Youth book to come out, maybe one as enjoyable as Come As You Are.

Heavier Than Heaven is better.

Tessellation
08-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by NewFreshness

Heavier Than Heaven is better.

I prefer COME AS YOU ARE and DIARIES. "Who Killed Kurt Cobain?" has a few interesting ideas, but it's very poorly edited, and one gets the sense that the authors don't own any Nirvana albums (e.g.: they claim that there's a song on IN UTERO that only has the lyrics "married/buried" which is ludicrous).

Mason R Butler
08-07-2003, 01:30 AM
I forgot all about Heavier Than Heaven. Good book.

Mason R Butler
08-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Graveflower
Fuck you, Mason.
Suck my nuts.