View Full Version : did anyone see Bright Eyes in Columbus?

Helena Handbasket
08-04-2003, 02:34 AM
I mean, damn. wtf?

Djed
08-04-2003, 02:40 AM
can you elaborate on your "wtf" statement?

Helena Handbasket
08-04-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Djed
can you elaborate on your "wtf" statement?

It was crazy. The management and sound guys were pissed at Conor. They only played about half an hour. The Newport guys cut off all the power and wouldn't let them play an encore, so Conor came out and played "June on the West Coast" with no mic, no power. The opening band kept coming back on stage hollering about how the place sucked, and no Saddle Creek bands were ever coming back, etc.

Djed
08-04-2003, 02:47 AM
what was the set list?

Helena Handbasket
08-04-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Djed
what was the set list?

Not in order

A Spindle, A Fever....
Method Acting
Neely O'Hara
Bowl of Oranges
Lover I don't Have to Love
Poison Oak
I'm Wide Awake

and I think a few others. Conor played "June on the West Coast" after they cut off the power, and apparently he played "Feb. 15th" from the top of his van out back to about 25 people. I didn't see that one, though.

Djed
08-04-2003, 03:09 AM
nice

skram
08-04-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Helena Handbasket

It was crazy. The management and sound guys were pissed at Conor. They only played about half an hour. The Newport guys cut off all the power and wouldn't let them play an encore, so Conor came out and played "June on the West Coast" with no mic, no power. The opening band kept coming back on stage hollering about how the place sucked, and no Saddle Creek bands were ever coming back, etc.

yeah, the newport does suck.

Boycott Graceland
08-04-2003, 04:53 AM
Conor played "June on the West Coast" after they cut off the power, and apparently he played "Feb. 15th" from the top of his van out back to about 25 people. I didn't see that one, though.
wow, that would have been cool to see. how many people were inside the venue?

James is Cool
08-04-2003, 04:02 PM
I've been meaning to ask you how it was. That's crazy insane.

Electron52
08-04-2003, 09:29 PM
i went to the flaming lips show there in april and thought it was a pretty good venue... aside from the bars looking more like snack bars than bars, they have very large beers at reasonable prices... im sure connor wasnt mr. innocent... what exactly were they pissed about? i like the newport... but have only been there once. athens represent!

D.
08-04-2003, 09:35 PM

Conor played "June on the West Coast" after they cut off the power
i love that song. first bright eyes song i ever heard.

Boycott Graceland
08-04-2003, 09:57 PM
i found someone who wrote down her entire account of the evening...if you can believe it, i edited it down to just the basic points.

--------------------------------

http://www.exnext.com/lk/anomalily/

http://www.exnext.com/lk/anomalily/image44.gif

"We all should get out of here now, 'cuz they want to like take us in or something."

Conor's hair hangs in sweaty strings down over his right eye, he tucks part of it behind his ear. The crowd of 25 or so die-hard Bright Eyes fans laugh and begin to chat again. Moments earlier they had all been bunched together, clutching digital cameras and button-clad messenger bags, with tears streaming down hot cheeks, shoved to one side of an alley, all staring up at their deity playing "February 15th" from the roof of his van.

Instruments get tested by their lovers one by one. Everytime a new one flairs up, the cheering does as well. Conor comes out last, and the crowd could've choked the air with their yelling. Screams of "I LOVE YOU, CONOR" mingled with whistles and nonsensical loudness. Conor stands in the center of his stage, guitar slung loosely around his body, a wild wire protruding from the headstock. After a false start, the band launches into "A Spindle, A Darkness, A Fever, And A Necklace", the crowd's noise lowering only slightly. With a bare pause for breath, the first song is followed by "Method Acting".
Conor's already soaked his shirt down the front from a subdued rouge to a brilliant and unforgiving crimson. He pulls his guitar off and sits down at the keyboard, dragging the microphone with him, and subsequently tipping it too far over. His booze, which I don't recognise for a name, matches the sweat stains on his shirt. It sits silently on the floor in its clear plastic cup, surrounded by water and beer bottles, only picked up between songs.

"...Thanks for coming y'all. We, uh, got here really late today, so, uh, the sound, we're trying to get it to work out."

Nick White takes back the keyboard and Conor picks up his guitar. Unfortunately, the amps were screwed up, and Mike nor Conor could get the damned thing to work properly. After a string of curse words, Conor just tears a piece off and throws into the crowd. Then, stomping on it, he begins to tell the audience "This next song is fucking serious, so it would be fucking great if you could be fucking serious. It's like fucking most important thing to fucking happen to me, so, yea, it would be cool if you could be fucking serious and not talk to your friends. And just be fucking serious."

Though the crowd offers more suggestions once he finishes singing the fucking serious "Poison Oak", he decides upon "The City Has Sex" followed by Conor loudly declaring "This song is called Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah." Once "Bowl of Oranges" starts, it seems that he doesn't feel the optimism needed to sing such a song, but the crowd does, and verbally molests it.

"Neely O'Hara" gave the optimism of the former song a shove up the ass. Conor sits at the keyboard, positively dripping with sweat from every surface, screaming "SHAPE THAT'S IN THE MIRROR" with such fervor he nearly knocks his microphone over.
After Neely, Conor declares that the next is his final song, to much booing. "This song has no relevance to me, or you, or anyone. It's not relevant to anything, so you should just completely disregard it. Now."
And with that comes "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" which knocks over two microphones, has Conor standing on top of the amps, stops halfway through by Conor asking if he has time to finish the song to management through the side of his microphone, and is completely inaudible by the end as the screaming is too loud. When Conor gets off the stage, no one moves. No one even seems to think about it. At a barely half an hour set, we're not leaving. The screaming continues on for 10 minutes straight, with stomping and Mike coming onto stage, trying to use the mics to tell us the venue's turned off the electricity to the stage and they can't do an encore. Unfortunately, with all the electricity turned off, Mike only gets to tell whomever can hear him without the mic over top over the cheering and stomping.
Mike throws his hands up in a helpless gesture, and a chant begins. "WE WANT MORE. WE WANT MORE. WE WANT MORE. WE WANT MORE. WE WANT MORE." After three minutes of ceaseless chanting, the security guard next to us takes a swig of his water and twirls the edge of his green uniform shirt. "I have never seen anything like this. This is crazy."

The girls from Tilly and the Wall [the opening band] come out, and do their best to try to get the amps to work again, but when that proves useless, one girl leans to the edge of the stage and tells the front row, "It's not our fault! Conor really wants to do an encore, but they're not letting us." She stands up and screams as loudly as she can "WE'RE NEVER COMING BACK. WE'RE NEVER COMING BACK. WE'RE NEVER COMING BACK." whilst clapping her hands to keep beat. The front rows pick it up and soon it's traved all over the place, eventually changing into "NEWPORT SUCKS. NEWPORT SUCKS. NEWPORT SUCKS. NEWPORT SUCKS."

The screaming goes on for almost seven more minutes, before Conor makes his way out to the stage. He picks up his guitar and tries to start singing from a chair, before realising the mic is totally off. Climbing over the amps, he sits on the edge of the stage and the cheering ceases with declarations of "SHH!" and "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" The hundreds in the club move silently to the center and front in attempts to hear Conor risk killing his vocal chords and fingers with a strained version of "June on the West Coast". His voice and guitar are barely audible from the twelve feet away I am, so I doubt anyone past the second row can hear anything but the breathing of those beside them.

Once Conor leaves the stage, the security guard is shaking his head. "This is bizarre. I can't even imagine anything...Wow. Crazy."
The audience cheered in hopes Newport Music Hall would wise up and turn back the sound on for an encore, but after a few more minutes of cheering, the place finally begins to empty out. Denise, Adam and I head around to the back alley. Adam checks his car, and joins us and a group of 30 to 40 people standing in the alleyway, watching Tilly and the Wall load up their van.

Cars force the crowd, which lessens with time, back off the road. The security guards threaten to call the police, but we just flick them off or ignore them. A discussion about driving to Pittsburg for tomorrow's show gets started and gets very serious. It's down to no more than 25 people when one boy declares "We'll get breakfast from a hotel, sleep in the parking lot..." and another shouts over all of this "I CAN PAY FOR ALL OF YOU!" The Bright Eyes van arrives, and as things are piled up into it, a giant box of merch, mostly tshirts, is left on the ground. So Denise, another girl beside us, and me, all begin to ask "Can we buy a shirt? We don't even need change, we'll just pay whatever." One girl, blonde and extremely pretty, just minutes ago making out with one of the girls from Tilly (I have got to learn their names), comes up and says she's too scared to get tshirts for us, afraid of a rush. She stand close to me and says "We didn't sell merch here because they wanted 20% and we were like, no way. And they wanted us to count them all, and there's like hundreds, so we didn't want to do that."

People are asking the bands if the show tomorrow is sold out, but no one seems to know. The boy that offered to pay for everyone that goes to Pittsburg screams to Conor, who is hanging back from the open doors, "CAN I BUY YOU DINNER, CONOR?" and another, with a notepad, asks "Would you like to declare your frustration to the press, Conor?"
Conor doesn't seem to hear, but I don't notice much else that is going on, as right then, the girl returns, pressing into my side. "There's like two on the top, I just grabbed them. They're really small, child's medium or something. Here. Take them." I then notice she's pressing a wad of dark fabric into me, and I grab it subtley.

"Don't show it around, I don't want a rush."
Denise and I grin. "THANK YOU!" we whisper frantically. She begins to walk over back toward the almost-stuffed van. I hold out a twenty. "You want this?" She shakes her head. "Thank you so much!" I clutch the tshirts in a ball under my arm, letting them blend in with my black shirt.

The van is almost entirely packed (to the roof, actually) before Conor reappears from the other side of the van. Cheers meet his presence. He curiously starts to pull something from the back of the giant pile at the back of the van, and protests from the rest of the Saddle Creek crew follow. Conor disregards them, and pulls a case to the ground. We finally get the idea: he's going to play for us. We hope. Conor, and one of the Tilly singers (I'll learn her name, I swear) climb to the top of the giant van with his guitar. Sitting with one leg curled under him, and the other dangling a black shoe with a shiny buckle over the edge of the van, Conor leans his head to the guitar and tunes it. Beside him sits Tilly chantress with pink chuck taylors.

"THANK YOU!"
"WE LOVE YOU CONOR!"
"THANK YOU SO MUCH!!"
"I'll BUY YOU ANYTHING YOU WANT ON THE VALUE MENU, CONOR!"
"THANK YOU!"

We draw as close to the van as we could manage, making sure we can hear Conor. The bitchass security guards won't let us have any pleasure and say "GET OUT OF THE STREET! If the cops come, you're all going to have to leave." We don't want to miss Conor's top-of-the-van encore, so we move to the other side of the alley again, though this time closer to the van.

The girl behind me offhandedly says "It just took "Drunk Kid Catholic" for me" before Conor starts chroning "All eyes on the calender, another year I claim of total indifference..." and we're all raptly focused.

Once he's finished off the brilliant concert, he jumps off the van, and stands, sweaty strings of hair blocking his right eye. The cops are circling about us on their pathetic little bikes. Holding his guitar, Conor declares to the crowd "We all should get out of here now, 'cuz they want to like take us in or something."

killed radio star
08-04-2003, 10:03 PM
no Saddle Creek bands were ever coming back, etc.

victory!

mirrar
08-04-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland
Conor's hair hangs in sweaty strings down over his right eye, he tucks part of it behind his ear. The crowd of 25 or so die-hard Bright Eyes fans laugh and begin to chat again. Moments earlier they had all been bunched together, clutching digital cameras and button-clad messenger bags, with tears streaming down hot cheeks, shoved to one side of an alley, all staring up at their deity playing "February 15th" from the roof of his van. aw thats really neat. what a cool thing to do.