We can ramble hand in hand
across the grasses of our land
I'll kiss you for each leaf on every tree
we can bring our kids to play
where the dry winds blow today
If you'll quit your hesitating, Nora Lee

patrick
08-04-2003, 01:33 AM
this is the only thing i've heard off of mermaid ave.
is the rest this good?

patrick
08-04-2003, 01:58 AM
fallontears i am awaiting your input

AndItsAllGone
08-04-2003, 11:43 AM
I love the first Mermaid Avenue. The folk-y sound is definitely not for everyone, but I think that if you enjoyed "Hesitating Beauty"--one of my favorites--then you'll like the rest, too.

fallontears
08-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Yeah, it's an interesting listen to say the least. I think Vol. 1 is better than the second one. I would start off with that the first because it's a better album. I got it mainly for the Wilco songs, but some of the Bragg songs are ok. I usually just skip the Bragg songs.

Wilco stay on the folky side of Mermaid Ave 1. The Guthrie songs don't sound much different than normal Wilco songs. So they have a modern Twist on them. California Stars is one of the best Wilco songs even though it's not theirs. At you Window Sad and Lonely is also a great Wilco song. One by One is another good one off of that one.

The second one sounds more like Summerteeth era Wilco. Lots of Jay Bennett keyboards and layered sounds. They also deal with a lot of Guthries religious songs (which Bragg deals with the political songs). Secrets of the Sea is probably the best poppy-song they've recorded. But there are also some great songs on here too. Airline to Heaven and Remember the Mountain Bed are both wonderful.

Overall, the first one is the better album over all but if you're more interested in some good Wilco songs, the second one is better for the songs. If your interested, there are various other Tweedy and Bennett/Guthrie songs on toher albums. The Chelsea Walls soundtrack has a Where the Roses Bloom Again (a live staple) that isn't a Guthrie song, but was recorded during The MA sessions. Also the Jay Bennett and Edward Burch album has two "new" Guthrie songs on it. Both are excellent: No Church Tonight and Little White Cottage.

Hope all this talk helps.

AndItsAllGone
08-05-2003, 02:02 AM
If you ask me, the Billy Bragg songs are actually what make the album. I don't really like him all that much, but I find myself enjoying "She Came Along to Me" and "I Guess I Planted" more than pretty much any of the Wilco songs on that disc. But like I said, I love the entire album.

DeadSwan
08-07-2003, 12:02 AM
that's the only wilco or billy bragg album i have.

anyway. i like it. it's good.

peace out.