View Full Version : Question for guitarists- Paranoid Android

paranoid
08-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Alright.. I'm finally learning how to play this song (don't know why i never have before).. but I;m having trouble with the intro acoustic guitar part.

Is it at all possible to play this rhythm part exactly as it's recorded? The bass notes and melody notes sound so solid on their own that it's almost as though they are 2 seperate overdubbed parts. How do you play it? What style of picking/stumming technique should i be using here?

Thanks!

sawdust restaurants
08-03-2003, 02:21 PM
ask ******.

cap'n jazz
08-03-2003, 02:30 PM
That pesky virtuoso guitarist Thom Yorke :rolleyes:

Ugly
08-03-2003, 03:09 PM
I know you're not supposed to, but I actually use my thumb a few times, it makes the first chord shape easier for me (of course this was one of the earlier songs I learned to play so ever since I've gotten better at guitar I still revert to that old technique with PA).

I dunno, its kind of hard to type out how to play a song. Just don't bother picking every single note exactly - this isn't Street Spirit we're talking about here. Just make the correct chord shapes and strum in aproximate time.

paranoid
08-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Ugly
I dunno, its kind of hard to type out how to play a song. Just don't bother picking every single note exactly - this isn't Street Spirit we're talking about here. Just make the correct chord shapes and strum in aproximate time.

I have tried just strumming it out but it just sounds too messy/not accurate enough to me.. maybe i'm just being too much of a perfectionist for this. I have tried hybrid picking but again i don't get the volume out of the medoly notes that i'd like. How does Thom play it live? much like the CD or does he just strum it out as well?

Shparticus
08-03-2003, 03:36 PM
It's entirely possible. I just looked up the tab and gave it a shot (I know, I know tab is for the weak, blow me). I dunno how it's done by the man hisself, but it's easiest to fingerpick it once you can train your pick-hand fingers to syncopate. It's actually nice, because the thumb can sort of anchor the whole thing down with those bass notes. Alternately, if you can figure out that thing that some guitarists manage where they hold the pick between their first and second fingers and play bass with the thumb (is that technically hybrid picking?), that'll really help the upper-register notes ring out a little more. Also, I'd recommend playing a bit closer to the bridge than you usually might to help the whole thing snap a little more.

Shparticus
08-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Heh. I just realized that the intro for Knives Out sounds like they just went, "OK, what if we took the beginning of Paranoid Android and just, like, SLOOOOOOOOOWWWED it down, right?" Not really but kinda. Alright, I'll go now.:D

paranoid
08-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Well.. the tab on the internet is really not that accurate... I've got the one from the OK Computer book and that one is closer to the truth. I do have one from a Guitar World issue from years ago that looks to be completely accurate (They have all the 'rain down' chords right as well as ALL of Jonny's leads).

bonsor
08-03-2003, 04:18 PM
http://******.net/archives/paranoidandroid.mp3

paranoid
08-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ******

That's really nice! So what kind of tips do you have for me? How long did it take before you had this song down?

The recording is great.. lots of piano stuff.. are you playing real keys are is it a lot of midi programming on top of your guitar parts? very good.

sarasvati
08-03-2003, 04:45 PM

wow, that sounds awesome.... :D

bonsor
08-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by paranoid

That's really nice! So what kind of tips do you have for me? How long did it take before you had this song down?

The recording is great.. lots of piano stuff.. are you playing real keys are is it a lot of midi programming on top of your guitar parts? very good. everything but the guitars is a Korg N364. I recorded it at school in my electronic music class. I can't quite remember how long it took me to get all the guitar parts down, but the beginning acoustic part and the solos are definitely the hardest.

the only tip i have to give is maintain consistent up and down strumming, like this

<font face="courier new" size="3">
1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^</font>

then accent the notes, like this

<font face="courier new" size="3">
<i>1</i> e <i>+ a</i> 2 <i>e</i> + a <i>3</i> e <i>+ a</i> 4 <i>e</i> + a
<i>v</i> ^ <i>v ^</i> v <i>^</i> v ^ <i>v</i> ^ <i>v ^</i> v <i>^</i> v ^</font>

it's amazing to me how many people can't do this. after that point, it's just a matter of learning the chord shapes and hitting the right strings at the right times. don't worry about the ghost notes too much, just makes sure that the accented ones are distinctly louder.

paranoid
08-03-2003, 06:29 PM
the accent pattern is the same as the previous pattern.. what's the difference there?

paranoid
08-03-2003, 06:31 PM
do you take music courses at university or school? What types? I'm attending a music college this fall.. i ahve no idea though what they will be teaching me..

bonsor
08-03-2003, 07:11 PM
what school?

and most likely, they will start you with the very basics. i can't possibly tell you what they will be covering, exactly, but my advice is to listen to JS Bach as much as you can. Apply what you learn in class with what you hear. It gets monotonous and boring, but there is a lot you can learn about music if you just listen and concentrate. Everything will start to unfold and you'll be able to relate what you learn in theory with any kind of western music.

bonsor
08-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by paranoid
the accent pattern is the same as the previous pattern.. what's the difference there? i tried to italicize the accented notes, but courier new is a shitty font for doing that.

paranoid
08-03-2003, 07:19 PM
I'm going to the University of Maine in Augusta, it's mainly a jazz school. I've already had some training in thoery, but know very little about reading.. so i have no idea where they are placing me yet. I'd expect it to get boring as learning music on my own and from other teachers over the past couple years has been VERY boring/frustrating to the point of madness. But i enjoy it :D

Yeah i didn't even notice the italics at all.. i still can't really see them. Thanks anyway.

Cassius
08-03-2003, 09:22 PM
I used to have a live video of this song, and i couldnt for the life of me work out what was going on because of the camera angles :mad: Apparently thom plays the jangly line ( i think he did spanish guitar when he was younger, or im mixing him up with someone else... ) But live it looked like he was strumming. Perhaps Johnny and Ed are playing the high and low bits respectively and thom is just strumming....

I do have the tab book here though. I think fingerpicking is definetly the way to go.

Now im inspired to learn it too :mad:

If i was composing the song for three guitars id split it up like i mentioned earlier. However i probably just imagined them doing that. :)

....now im confused :confused:

bonsor
08-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Cassius
I do have the tab book here though. I think fingerpicking is definetly the way to go.he plays it with a pick. did you not see what i posted, or do you normally talk before comprehending what has actually been said already.

jukeboxphuckup
08-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Shparticus
Heh. I just realized that the intro for Knives Out sounds like they just went, "OK, what if we took the beginning of Paranoid Android and just, like, SLOOOOOOOOOWWWED it down, right?" Not really but kinda. Alright, I'll go now.:D

YES!!!! That has bothered me for the longest time. I'm glad someone else noticed it, too!

bonsor
08-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by jukeboxphuckup

YES!!!! That has bothered me for the longest time. I'm glad someone else noticed it, too! i noticed it too. in fact, a lot of songs start with a Cm chord. that's all. are arists not allowed to write songs that are in the same key these days?

Cassius
08-03-2003, 10:58 PM
he plays it with a pick. did you not see what i posted, or do you normally talk before comprehending what has actually been said already.

Well i didnt see you posting he played it with a pick anywhere! I saw shparticus mention it could be played in a hybrid picking style ( which i always though was pick between thumb and index finger and using your other fingers to pick extra notes, although i could easily be confused or it is a problem of classification ).

And frankly, if he does play it with a pick, why should that matter? Thom Yorke is falls far short of 'guitar deity', why should his technique be infallible. In my opinion, from looking at the tab beside me, if he does play it with a pick, he is using hybrid picking, to simeltaneously play two notes on far different strings ( or he is muting every other string and doing a quick strum, but that would get silly .Obviously the official tab could be wrong. Or they could play it the way i hypothesised live ).

If you want to get pedantic. I feel it would be far simpler to use fingerpicking to play the 'official tab' than learning hybrid picking. IMO.

Obviously if you want to get into fusion or full blown jazz, i would recommend hybrid picking as it allows you to effortlessly blend large intervals in at speed.

aldango
08-03-2003, 11:08 PM
rtsp://real.bluewin.ch/montreuxjazz03/Radiohead_0507.rm

Go to about 1:03:10. You will see he is in fact using a pick.

Cassius
08-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by zekix
rtsp://real.bluewin.ch/montreuxjazz03/Radiohead_0507.rm

Go to about 1:03:10. You will see he is in fact using a pick.

i never said he wasnt using a pick.... There are plenty of these in the tab though.

-
-
-
-

Now either the official tab is wrong. Or they play it differently live from the tabbed studio version. Or Thom yorke uses hybrid picking.

I just think its simpler to play it fingerpicked. And a good fingerpicker should be able to play a very simliar tone to a pick.

Soz for the defensiveness. I just dont like being attacked for no reason by ****** for trying to give some advice.

Thoughtless
08-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Cassius

i never said he wasnt using a pick.... There are plenty of these in the tab though.

-
-
-
-

Now either the official tab is wrong. Or they play it differently live from the tabbed studio version. Or Thom yorke uses hybrid picking.

I just think its simpler to play it fingerpicked. And a good fingerpicker should be able to play a very simliar tone to a pick.

Soz for the defensiveness. I just dont like being attacked for no reason by ****** for trying to give some advice.

i'm pretty sure that it isn't usually played at the same time like that, it's individually picked (with everything ringing), a bit like this:

|------------------------------------------------
|----8---------------------------8--------------
|-------------8--------------------------8------
|--------------------------0-------------0-0---
|--------------------0--------------------------
|8--------8------8----6-----6------6--------6 etc...

it isn't exactly the same, it similes, it doesn't have to be played exactly how it is on the record to sound right.

Thoughtless
08-03-2003, 11:33 PM
and i should of done that in notepad, the spacing is a tad messed up, but you get the idea

Cassius
08-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Thoughtless

i'm pretty sure that it isn't usually played at the same time like that, it's individually picked (with everything ringing), a bit like this:

|------------------------------------------------
|----8---------------------------8--------------
|-------------8--------------------------8------
|--------------------------0-------------0-0---
|--------------------0--------------------------
|8--------8------8----6-----6------6--------6 etc...

it isn't exactly the same, it similes, it doesn't have to be played exactly how it is on the record to sound right.

Perhaps the official tab is wrong, i dont see why it should be so complex. Thats why i thought the tabber might have collected all the notes and arranged them for one guitar, ie, 3 guitars and a bass! Which is cool if you need a big sound if you are only playing on one guitar. But a bit excessive if you are playing along to a record or with a band.

Thoughtless
08-04-2003, 12:07 AM
i also think there is another slightly low mix acoustic guitar just strumming the chords, which would also result in that more full sound.

wangcomputers
08-04-2003, 01:11 AM
i learnt it through my friend's offical tab book.

It says to play it finger-picked, it's a little complicated, often plucking two strings at a time.. It sounds decent.
but having seen thom play it live, he strums his acoustic part.

By the way, does anyone notice how similar this is to playing knives out? I love playing that.

ZackZ
08-04-2003, 05:42 AM
That song is a joke. If you can't play it, then just go ahead down to Mars or Guitar Center or wherever you bought your piece of shit Squire acoustic and get a refund.

And why is it ok for Thom Yorke or whoever the fuck plays that horrible solo to do such things? Is it more expressive to play like a fucking baboon on crack then to actually have a little TALENT and play something with clean, technical precision in any kind of discernable scale or key?

sawdust restaurants
08-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ
Is it more expressive to play like a fucking baboon on crack then to actually have a little TALENT and play something with clean, technical precision in any kind of discernable scale or key?

In Radiohead's case, yes.

Jonny Greenwood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yngwie Malmsteen, or however you spell that fuck's name.

Lie
08-04-2003, 12:23 PM
That song is a joke. If you can't play it, then just go ahead down to Mars or Guitar Center or wherever you bought your piece of shit Squire acoustic and get a refund.

And why is it ok for Thom Yorke or whoever the fuck plays that horrible solo to do such things? Is it more expressive to play like a fucking baboon on crack then to actually have a little TALENT and play something with clean, technical precision in any kind of discernable scale or key?

OMG, UR RITE. WhAt haAve I Bebn Doing wIth My Lyfe!!! EVERyThing I Lissten to Sukcs! I sucks!!!!!

*listens to Steve Vai*
*slits wrists*

sawdust restaurants
08-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Lie
OMG, UR RITE. WhAt haAve I Bebn Doing wIth My Lyfe!!! EVERyThing I Lissten to Sukcs! I sucks!!!!!

*listens to Steve Vai*
*slits wrists*

:love:

Lie
08-04-2003, 12:35 PM
I really don't understand what the discrepancy in this thread is all about. It's pretty obvious that in the studio version he is using a pick, however, I don't think anyone was debating that, just suggesting different ways which it could be played from the official tab if that was what someone wanted.

Another possibility is fingerpicks. I was surprised no one mentioned that.

wangcomputers
08-04-2003, 02:03 PM
i like, totally mentioned fingerpicking.

NegativeSleep
08-04-2003, 02:09 PM
I think what Lie is referring to are those picks that clip around your fingers, as opposed to picking with your fingers.

but what do I know?

wangcomputers
08-04-2003, 02:31 PM
i highly doubt that radiohead use fingerpicks..

http://www.acutab.com/_lilsampicks.gif

erm, someone could make a wave of themselves playing it slowly so you can hear how they're playing it. I guess I might do it later.

NegativeSleep
08-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by wangcomputers
http://www.acutab.com/_lilsampicks.gif

I wish I were that guy.

NewFreshness
08-04-2003, 03:01 PM

Hey, I live about an hour away from you! I should come watch you play the solo so effortlessly sometime? I've wanted to see a liar, who pretends to be top shit, fail at playing well.

ZackZ
08-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by NewFreshness

Hey, I live about an hour away from you! I should come watch you play the solo so effortlessly sometime? I've wanted to see a liar, who pretends to be top shit, fail at playing well.

If you live in Lawrence, go ahead and stay put. I don't want to catch whatever you people have.

bonsor
08-04-2003, 04:21 PM
man, this thread turned into a big fucking vat of retarded.

cassius, can i buy your tom delonge strat off of you?

jczeroman
08-04-2003, 04:43 PM
****** -- that's some sweet music

bonsor
08-04-2003, 05:37 PM
yeah i guess. i wish i wrote it.

Lie
08-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by wangcomputers
i highly doubt that radiohead use fingerpicks.

I wasn't suggesting that they do. I was saying that if someone wanted to fingerpick what's on the official tab but still get powerful tone, that would be the way to do it.

Lie
08-04-2003, 06:17 PM
That file made my computer freeze up.

Thoughtless
08-04-2003, 08:55 PM

yep, because everyone knows technique>>>musicianship, like totally ALWAYS.

ZackZ
08-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Thoughtless

yep, because everyone knows technique>>>musicianship, like totally ALWAYS.

It's ludicrous to pass off wretched technique and lack of skill as creativity.

Thoughtless
08-04-2003, 10:48 PM

whatever, go jack off all over john petrucci.

NewFreshness
08-05-2003, 02:34 AM

If you live in Lawrence, go ahead and stay put. I don't want to catch whatever you people have.

Yeah, intellect would totally throw off your daily routine.

And no, I'm not from Lawrence.

Anyway, I've met people who favor technical ability over creativity and the desire to make art that sounds new. It's a matter of opinion really, so I'll choose not to argue it.

But, one thing I've noticed is that listening to "virtuosos" (repeating others work at high speed, how does that make one a virtuoso?) usually comes with a giant stick that your kind plant firmly in your asses.

ZackZ
08-05-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by NewFreshness

Yeah, intellect would totally throw off your daily routine.

And no, I'm not from Lawrence.

Anyway, I've met people who favor technical ability over creativity and the desire to make art that sounds new. It's a matter of opinion really, so I'll choose not to argue it.

But, one thing I've noticed is that listening to "virtuosos" (repeating others work at high speed, how does that make one a virtuoso?) usually comes with a giant stick that your kind plant firmly in your asses.

A "virtuouso" can play anything at any speed with crystal clarity. A "virtuoso" can play just as fast on acoustic as electric. Very FEW people acheive such a feat. Some "artists" use "creativity" as a crutch so they don't have to practice and get good at guitar. Obviously whomever played the solo for Paranoid Android decided it needed to be up tempo, but neglected to use any kind of skill to imply such need.

Lie
08-05-2003, 04:07 AM
A "virtuouso" can play anything at any speed with crystal clarity. A "virtuoso" can play just as fast on acoustic as electric. Very FEW people acheive such a feat. Some "artists" use "creativity" as a crutch so they don't have to practice and get good at guitar. Obviously whomever played the solo for Paranoid Android decided it needed to be up tempo, but neglected to use any kind of skill to imply such need.

I want to make you listen to some old-school punk. It would probably make your head explode.

Seriously, man, why do you hang around here? You're too prudish for even the majority of guitar-dedicated communities in existence. It's a shame too, because if your views weren't so one-dimensional they might actually help create some balance here. There's as much value to your general opinions and feelings as to those of the typical indie snob, but your arguments are so ridiculous and narrow-minded that your personal validity goes to shit everytime you whirlwind into a thread and put your big stinking foot down.

DeviousJ
08-05-2003, 07:01 AM
Might I remind you, Mr ZackZ, that you posted <a href="http://www.adastra.eclipse.co.uk/bury2.mp3">this sound file</a> on the SP board to show how easy it was to play the Bury Me solo?

bonsor
08-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
Might I remind you, Mr ZackZ, that you posted <a href="http://www.adastra.eclipse.co.uk/bury2.mp3">this sound file</a> on the SP board to show how easy it was to play the Bury Me solo? lolololol

cap'n jazz
08-05-2003, 08:21 AM

This is probably the worst thing i've ever read in my entire life.

Let me get this straight. You're actually saying that, because someone doesn't stick to the guidelines of 'rock guitar playing', you disregard them completely? Do you not realise that there are people to whom creativity and MUSIC is far more important than playing some fucking blues scale really really fast with the guitar behind their fucking head?

Lie
08-06-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
Might I remind you, Mr ZackZ, that you posted <a href="http://www.adastra.eclipse.co.uk/bury2.mp3">this sound file</a> on the SP board to show how easy it was to play the Bury Me solo?

Thanks, I missed that the first time around.

stumpycat
08-06-2003, 02:43 AM
:think:
Errr...that doesn't sound anything like the "Bury Me" solo. Is that what it's supposed to be?