View Full Version : haha, so i just officially lost any respect i had for pitchfork media

Ihaman
07-31-2003, 11:08 PM
Björk is one of two prodigies in 90s music (Beck being the other)

:rofl: fucking beck? :rolleyes:

Lie
07-31-2003, 11:17 PM
You took that quote out of context. I want to see where it was from.

Irrelevant
07-31-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Ihaman

mellow gold kicks your ass.

Ihaman
07-31-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Irrelevant

mellow gold kicks your ass.

it's not anything better than dj shadow produced

entroducing < < < < < < < < anything beck is capable of producing

rubbersoul
07-31-2003, 11:29 PM
Although I think Pitchfork is great, I too have little respect for Beck's music.

Lie
07-31-2003, 11:31 PM
You can't just discuss everything in terms of what's better than it. I don't know where that's from, but I'd assume they were getting at something more specific than just "the best."

Ihaman
07-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Lie
You can't just discuss everything in terms of what's better than it. I don't know where that's from, but I'd assume they were getting at something more specific than just "the best."

not just 'the best' dj shadow is a production genius, and nobody seems to give him enough credit for what he does. he's the founding father of this sort of visionary urban landscape, especially with 'midnight in a perfect world' that song alone far outshadows anything.

Irrelevant
07-31-2003, 11:48 PM

mellow gold is way better than private press. in fact, pretty much every beck album is way better than private press.

Ihaman
07-31-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Irrelevant

mellow gold is way better than private press. in fact, pretty much every beck album is way better than private press.

i didnt say private press, i said entroducing.

Irrelevant
08-01-2003, 12:11 AM

i didnt say private press, i said entroducing.

you said "anything better than dj shadow produced" so i brought up Private Press to point out that dj shadow's talent only goes so far.

Boycott Graceland
08-01-2003, 03:54 AM
who gives a fuck of one writer's opinion on some quasi-fanzine music website?

personally, i love beck. but i don't even see why anyone would care about this. pitchfork can be okay, but their head is up their ass for about 80% of the time.

bloop
08-01-2003, 07:25 AM

I agree, I think, but did you flunk the inequalities part of your math classes?

french_rap_sucks
08-01-2003, 01:22 PM
if only their were a music reviewing service that could agree completely with the opinions of the individual reading it, then maybe there wouldn't have to be so much bitchin'.
do people actually expect that something like this, made up of several individuals is going to live up to anyone's expectations.

Ihaman
08-01-2003, 01:23 PM
oops

ENTRODUCING > >>>>>>>>>>>> beck

ZackZ
08-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Bjork? Beck? They both suck ass. I can stomach Beck a little better, he has a sense of humor. Bjork is just a fucking space cadet.

Braveflower
08-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ
Bjork? Beck? They both suck ass. I can stomach Beck a little better, he has a sense of humor. Bjork is just a fucking space cadet.

GENESIS RULES!":_!!!!!!!!!1

Ihaman
08-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Graveflower

They namedrop Endtroducing all the time and put it on the best albums of the 90s list, and whereever you got that quote from, it was written by one individual person.

also, ENDTRODUCING IS ONE FUCKING ALBUM. ONE ALBUM. JUST ONE ALBUM.

i use entroducing as an example mostly, just because it pretty much defined that entire genre of music forever. it raised such an amazingly high bar for trip hop and downtempo forever, it isnt 'just' an album it's the beginning of an amazing new movement.

Ihaman
08-01-2003, 03:38 PM
fsauidasg

yes, Endtroducing is much more important than Dummy and Mezzanine, and is definitely a trip-hop album.

yes, although dummy and mezzanine do get credit where credit is due.

wounded
08-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by bloop

I agree, I think, but did you flunk the inequalities part of your math classes?

i was afraid i was the only one that noticed that.

Mayfuck
08-01-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm sick of people's attitude toward Pitchfork here. And it's mostly the uninformed music fan who has shit to say about Pitchfork. They see a website that reviews a band they never heard of and they automatically label them as music snobs. The point of the website is an outlet to discuss music that isn't discussed anywhere else.

Pitchfork puts Endtroducing on a very high pedastal. Just because its one individual's opinion that Bjork and Beck are the two most important artists of the 90s doesn't mean it's a diss to every other band in that decade so fuck up already Ihaman. Beside, Bjork and Beck encompass a larger musical territory than DJ Shadow and as Tasty already pointed out there are other "trip-hop," or whatever you want to call it albums out there just as important.

And shut the fuck up about Amon Tobin. It's been all downhill since Bricolage.

Mayfuck
08-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ

You are 35 and live with your parents. Shut the fuck up.

patrick
08-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
I'm sick of people's attitude toward Pitchfork here. And it's mostly the uninformed music fan who has shit to say about Pitchfork. They see a website that reviews a band they never heard of and they automatically label them as music snobs. The point of the website is an outlet to discuss music that isn't discussed anywhere else. agreed

i made a post nearly identical to this a few weeks ago. :erm

Braveflower
08-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by failure
agreed

i made a post nearly identical to this a few weeks ago. :erm
fuck you, hipster.

THRILLHO
08-01-2003, 08:45 PM

it might seem kinda silly since now in 2003 he's sort of peaked, but his music had quite an effect on the mainstream, you know? all kinds of pop stars now like pink, nelly furtado, shakira, the neptunes, etc are all-encompassing multi-genre performers and beck was the first big star to be like that.

as far as dj shadow goes, i could probably think of a dozen trip-hop and electronic prodcuers that are as good as him, but most of them just sound dated now. i think if pitchfork left anyone out it would be richard james.

Tessellation
08-01-2003, 09:03 PM

Beck isn't nearly as original as Bjork. But Kurt Cobain was a greater talent than either one of 'em.

sawdust restaurants
08-02-2003, 10:04 AM
yeah, pfm serves its purposes quite well. the features today were nice as well; they picked some damn good albums to pump up.

DeadOpera
08-02-2003, 10:59 AM
what is wrong with beck?

"mtv makes me wanna smoke crack, fly out the window and im never comming back. mtv makes me wanna get high kiss the moon like a rubber balloon"

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 06:29 PM
lol @ pitchfork.

they're so on the indie train, yet they are oblivious to some of it too.

/end discussion.

Mayfuck
08-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Fattening Ass
they're so on the indie train, yet they are oblivious to some of it too.

Yeah? Like what?

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

Yeah? Like what?

/end discussion.

sawdust restaurants
08-02-2003, 09:08 PM
/end discussion.

yeah, 'cause you definitely know more about indie than ptrix or julio. i mean, seriously, what the crap?

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 09:13 PM
ptrix.

is this like the p. diddy of netphoria?

sawdust restaurants
08-02-2003, 09:16 PM
ptrix.

is this like the p. diddy of netphoria?

he invented the remix, fuxx0r.

but no, seriously, what kind of "indie" is pfork not covering? if yer gonna say something like that you should back it up. you could have a point. it's hard to tell.

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

he invented the remix, fuxx0r.

but no, seriously, what kind of "indie" is pfork not covering? if yer gonna say something like that you should back it up. you could have a point. it's hard to tell.

I pretty much don't follow the "indie" trends to know of all of the artists im sure the aforementioned know. I actually posted that just to get a rise, but now that i think about it, there are a couple bands I like that are off the radar that i don't hear about that i would figure pitchfork'd be all on. Snot-nosed reviews and all.

Blinker the star
ON
Year of the rabbit (yup.)
mellowdrone
cave in
verbena

I probably haven't been visiting that site enough though, if the bands mentioned have been mentioned (i think verbena has).
Then again, what i might like might not be so "indie", but pitchfork aren't necessarily 100% off the radar (jane's addiction, etc..).

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 09:38 PM
after quite a few listens, antenna is good, but not great.

i still like antenna.

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 09:40 PM
they gave Antenna a 6.7

(not a bashing. Dominique Leone is one of two reviewers on the site who has said that they use the ratings system as it says to the right of the reviews.) lol. i guess i shoulda searched for cave in, rather than browse the alphabetical list. :o :o

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Even the underground cult (and my) favorite, failure, would be nowhere to be found.

The knowledge of their existence and correlation to such bands as ON, self, year of the rabbit, enemy, autolux, shiner, national skyline, annentenna, and even tool is nowhere to be found.

hm. i dunno.

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 10:11 PM
hm..im talking about failure's relation to them in a way. (not those bands themselves) at least that ryan dork has no idea who failure is/was.

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 10:13 PM
nevermind my ranting. i just think for a site that thrives on music thats off the radar, they should at least know who failure is.

regarding year of the rabbit:

> From: ryan@pitchforkmedia.com
> I've heard the single and I like it quite a bit. I'm not sure how these
> guys got an indie buzz, tho. I mean, the music is pretty indie-rock
> sounding, but with production values that tend to put most indie snobs off.
> Is there any "cred" magic at work here (ex-members of another band, good
> producer, etc) or are they just a solid band gaining a rep for (gasp!) just
> writing good songs?
>
> Ryan

what a turd.

Fattening Ass
08-02-2003, 11:04 PM
Uh, so he says he likes them, they write good songs, and he makes a deragatory statement about indie snobs.

Why does that get YOU angry? His ignorance, not the deragatory statement. :D

sawdust restaurants
08-03-2003, 01:01 PM
well, ok, gil, that's fair. still, though, where else are you going to read decent reviews of 9/10 of the stuff they cover? certainly not at stylus, and fakejazz is so snobbish as to be laughable. so yay pfork, even if it's created legions of indie snobs.