View Full Version : Billy Comment On Machina

Marlon Brando
07-30-2003, 04:13 AM
To elaborate, I can tell you that for the two or three very heavy songs on MACHINA, there are 12 heavy songs that we didn't put on, because it just didn't feel right: it lelt like we were repeating ourselves and digging up old bones. What's on the record is what we feel: if it sounds angry, it is angry, and if it
sounds pretty, it's pretty. There's no fakery in our world. Believe me, when we're faking, we're as bad as it gets.

Marlon Brando
07-30-2003, 04:14 AM
GW: Unlike your previous albums, this one isn't especially riff heavy.

CORGAN: If you can look at our evolution from the first album to this album, we totally explored riff rock, and then we just got bored with it. And after you explore riff rock, the only thing to do is what the Beatles did, which is explore melody. So MACHINA is literally the other side of where we began. To me, riff
rock is frustrating: when you've got a great riff, it's deadly, but when you don't, forget it. Unfortunately, I would venture to say that, these days, there aren't that many great riffs left. It's rare that you escape the trap of rewriting an earlier riff. And once you think you have escaped it, you come across some Deep Purple bootleg and realize that Ritchie Blackmore was there 27 years before you.

Boycott Graceland
07-30-2003, 04:24 AM
http://poetry.rotten.com/fingerhead/fingerhead.jpg

Spaceboy917
07-30-2003, 06:37 PM
That's the first time I've actually laughed out loud at a picture.

C33
07-30-2003, 07:46 PM
http://emotioneric.com/horror.jpg

Diamond Dream
07-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Marlon your a complete ass but I do agree with those Billy quotes.

The Everlasting Gaze that's a riff song right? :confused:

Axis of Action
07-30-2003, 10:01 PM
well, it has a riff, but I think what Billy is trying to ... say ... is that the melody of the song is what's more important, what they're focusing. So, like, in the chorus, that melody that's created, that's his focus.

Boycott Graceland
07-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Marlon Brando
Banned
:)

bonsor
08-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Diamond Dream
Marlon your a complete ass but I do agree with those Billy quotes.

The Everlasting Gaze that's a riff song right? :confused: so is HMM.

those quotes really are beautiful, though. when i first read the guitar world article when i was 15, i didn't really think much of the whole thing, but now that i've been doing a lot of songwriting, it is hard as hell to write a riff that someone else hasn't written yet. the only thing you can do is just break down the barriers of music theory, but at that point, it's impossible to come up with something that's accessible.