View Full Version : eels concert last night at the Phoenix

spring
07-29-2003, 06:54 AM
Last night I went to my first Eels show in Toronto, and I just had to post about it, because I thought it was a great performance.

First of all, the opening act, MC Hooker (or DJ Hooker, can't remember exactly) spinned some really cute happy electronica-sounding tunes, people were dancing, a good start, definitely. Btw, he was smoking a pipe and wearing a fedora, so damn funny! :)

Eels now: the set started at 9:45 I think, so not much later than they had announced it on the tickets, and it was a very refreshing performance, starting with some new songs, very energetic, to get the crowd going. I loved the band's energy, they hardly even stopped between the songs at the beginning, but when mr. e started talking to the audience, he was awesome, smart and very funny. When they played the last song, he said "ladies and gentlemen, we will now leave the stage, and if you show your appreciation, we shall return" :) And they did return, for 3 encores.

Awesome, awesome show, I loved it! Was anyone else there? what did you think about it? discuss.

innocents
07-29-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by spring
MC Hooker (or DJ Hooker, can't remember exactly)

you mean MC Honky?

spring
07-29-2003, 10:58 AM
yes, MC Honky. How the hell did I come up with "Hooker" sorry about that...it was pretty early (7 am) when I made the post though.

Thanks. I stand corrected.

NegativeSleep
07-29-2003, 11:07 AM
YOUR PM BOX IS FULL!!@$@1!#@%&T%&#%&iyiyiyiyyyyyyyy

p.s. sounds like an awesome show! I know about as much about the eels as I do about [insert random obscure polka band here], but I dig Last Stop: This Town... it's so pretty.

spring
07-29-2003, 10:07 PM
WHY THE HELL doesn't my PM box tell me that! fuck @(##$@#(&#@&$

sorry.

NegativeSleep
07-30-2003, 12:16 AM
http://www.lumiere.org/films/images/you-ve-got-mail-fr.jpg

VegasPumpkin
07-30-2003, 03:02 AM
i never really got into the eels, but "Not Ready Yet" is probably in my top 10 fav songs of all time.

innocents
07-30-2003, 05:35 AM
they're playing over here august 16th, but it's at a 21+ venue :mad:

The Gaddrow
07-30-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by VegasPumpkin
i never really got into the eels, but "Not Ready Yet" is probably in my top 10 fav songs of all time. Have you heard a live version? Get the one from the electro-shock blues show. Shit, I should send it with your fucking t-shirt. Jesus, I forgot about it again. fuck me.

SilverSomatic
07-30-2003, 06:32 AM
were they with The Flaming Lips?

disslunker
07-30-2003, 07:08 AM
set list?

The Gaddrow
07-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by SilverSomatic
were they with The Flaming Lips? What? I don't think so :confused:

That would be so fucking hot though.

If I am not completely broke after my Radiohead excursion next month, I <i>may</i> have to go to So Cal for another eels rock fest. They were that fucking good.