View Full Version : frank black and the catholics: show me your tears

greymedallia
07-28-2003, 06:53 PM
i was lucky to receive a copy of this about a month ago because someone sold it to the record store where i work. initially, i didn't like it too much-- it seemed hastily thrown together with little attempts at truly perfecting the songs....but as time has passed, i've come to really love it....all the songs become ridiculously catchy after a while....some of my favorites ******* everything is new, new house of the pope, massif centrale, and manitoba.....they use some new instrumentation on this record such as saxophone, harp, harmonica, accordian, and female backing vocals including frank's wife jean.....there's also some additional help from people such as van dyke parks....anyways, i highly recommend this album for frank black fans....

Starchildren
07-28-2003, 08:50 PM
i don't own a single Catholics record, and only have Surfer Rosa and Doolittle from the Pixies, but i think i might pick up this record.

Nimrod's Son
07-29-2003, 04:41 AM
"Teenager of the Year" is the only Black/Catholics album I have liked.

Debaser
07-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Starchildren
i don't own a single Catholics record, and only have Surfer Rosa and Doolittle from the Pixies, but i think i might pick up this record.

whoa hold on there, I have to warn you that frank black and the catholics are way way way way different than doolittle & surfer rosa. you have to ease into the country phase of Black Francis....get the FB albums in order.....

greymedallia
07-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by greymedallia
i was lucky to receive a copy of this about a month ago because someone sold it to the record store where i work. initially, i didn't like it too much-- it seemed hastily thrown together with little attempts at truly perfecting the songs....but as time has passed, i've come to really love it....all the songs become ridiculously catchy after a while....some of my favorites ******* everything is new, new house of the pope, massif centrale, and manitoba.....they use some new instrumentation on this record such as saxophone, harp, harmonica, accordian, and female backing vocals including frank's wife jean.....there's also some additional help from people such as van dyke parks....anyways, i highly recommend this album for frank black fans....

i wouldn't follow my advice that readily....like debaser said, you have to ease yourself into frank black..otherwise you might end up hating him initially and never come around to understanding the genius of his work...

Tessellation
07-31-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
"Teenager of the Year" is the only Black/Catholics album I have liked.

I have yet to purchase one yet. I do like "headache" and "los angeles" a lot, though