bonsor
07-26-2003, 02:07 PM
You know what I'm talking about

To Forgive
Cupid de Locke
In the Arms of Sleep
Sumbleine
Lily

I pulled out the ol' MCIS.m3u and listened to all of these tracks on their own. They're beautiful tracks on their own, and they could easily belong togehter on their own on an LP, but the fact that they placed them really well between the songs that rock your balls off. I love the Lo-Fi sounds of To Forgive. There's only one guitar on that track. One take. No overdubbing. It's fucking beautiful.

Nothing/everything
07-26-2003, 02:12 PM
i always tend to sing along with the last three songs. excellent tracks

Ugly
07-26-2003, 02:13 PM
and on the other end of the spectrum:

Jellybelly
Here Is No Why
Galapogos
Tales of a Scortched Earth
We Only Come Out at Night
By Starlight
Farewell and Goodnight

I'm surprised Galapogos isn't a fan favourite ala Mayonaise/ Soma / Stara / 1979 / For Martha. You know the one really good non-single track that everybody loves to hear? Its one of my personal favs.

To Forgive sounds great, I think I'm gonna go play that now. Its such a unique song, esp. the guitar work.

bonsor
07-26-2003, 02:34 PM
i never said i didn't like galapagos. I LOVE galapagos. Easily in the top 10.

bonsor
07-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Ugly
Its such a unique song, esp. the guitar work. definitely. everytime i play it, i think what may have compelled billy to write it.

jukeboxphuckup
07-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ******
definitely. everytime i play it, i think what may have compelled billy to write it.

empty party afternoons!

wounded
07-26-2003, 03:18 PM
galapagos is great, in my top 5 probably, but the bad never gave it much love.

i personally dislike lily.

by starlight and to forgive are fantastic songs

Toby
07-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by wounded
by starlight Awesome song.

Axis of Action
07-26-2003, 04:09 PM
I love all those songs except -

Tales of a Scorched Earth. Can anyone honestly like this song? If so, give me reasons. :D

Mariner
07-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Sehki

Tales of a Scorched Earth. Can anyone honestly like this song? If so, give me reasons. :D

I love it. Don't really know why, I just do. People make the arguments that it's sort of a juvenile, obligatory song, but I find it to be niether.

Mellon Collie Sleepers? The whole end of Twilight to Starlight (WOCOAN -> F +G) is absolutely stunning. If you listen closely you can hear Billy & Co. mooting most of Adore.

Reyngel
07-26-2003, 05:42 PM
I think the only songs that could have been singles but weren't were Galapagos, Jellybelly, and Here Is No Why. Everything else just isn't radio-friendly, despite how good they are.

Junebug
07-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Mariner

Mellon Collie Sleepers? The whole end of Twilight to Starlight (WOCOAN -> F +G) is absolutely stunning.
Thank you. WOCOAN is so unappreciated :(

Cupid de locke and Stumbeline are so amazing in completely different ways. Ahh Mellon Collie....

Ugly
07-26-2003, 07:30 PM

Lots of screaming, rage, distortion, crazy drumming, Billy yelling <B><I>"SO FUCK IT ALL CUZ I DON'T CARE!!!!"</I></B> Heehee. Too fucking cool.

tristessa
07-26-2003, 07:38 PM
it amazes me how someone could come up with all those songs. its good to know so many people appreciate how diverse and how high quality the songs are on the whole of MCIS. i love the last songs aswell.

i always thought set the ray to jerry, ugly, and/or cherry should have made the album.

i think take me down should have definately made way for one of them. maybe cupid could have made way too but i think others will disagree.

originally there was gonna be more songs on the album and i wonder why they cut it to 28... maybe they couldnt find the right places for any extra songs to fit in.

i figure they kept take me down cause it has an album closer feel.

bonsor
07-26-2003, 07:39 PM
yeah. the 'fuck it all' line makes that song.

as well as 'you're all whores and i'm a fag, and i've got no mother and i've got no dad'. i also like how the crazy whacked out guitar solo goes on for 2 bars after billy starts singing again. it's great.

bonsor
07-26-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by tristessa
i always thought set the ray to jerry, ugly, and/or cherry should have made the album.the charm of those songs is that they are almost the antithesis of mellon collie. they are very plain and are songs that don't exactly lend themselves to mellon collie's over the top production techniques.

plus, it was already bad enough that they had two singles called today and tonight, tonight. why make it worse by putting a song called beautiful and another called ugly on there? :)

Axis of Action
07-26-2003, 07:59 PM
I always like BC yelling ... whatever ... but ... TOASE was just like... I dunno. Lame. Over processed. Something. I'll listen to it later. It's possible I'll like it. I'm thinking about it and it's not so bad.

WOCOAN is the best shit ever. I grabbed a number of 96 shows in trades solely because WOCOAN was played.

Esty
07-26-2003, 08:22 PM
In the arms of sleep
By starlight
love

neopryn
07-26-2003, 08:28 PM
I'll probably be listening to the Pumpkins for the first time in months tonight after reading this topic. God, what a great album.

Nate the Grate
07-26-2003, 10:54 PM
"Soon, said I, we'll know"

from By Starlight, quite probably my favorite line from any Smashing Pumpkins song.

(yes, I do know that that line isn't even right. but screw that, because that line is so perfect, and "will" makes no friggin sense.)

I second neopryn. I'm going to listen to MCIS tonight!

ZephZero33
07-26-2003, 11:33 PM

Dont let Marlon Brando read this post.

DeviousJ
07-26-2003, 11:35 PM

I used to hate this song. Then it completely grew on me, and now I love it. You want some highlights? When the guitars bend at the start, and underneath you can hear the bass start the main riff before the guitars launch into it. The 'voom!' bit near the end. The completely chaotic distortion-fest at the end of the solo (apparently Billy and James had to leave the room it was so loud, and I can believe it). Seriously, turn the song UP and listen to it for what it is, a fucking cool rock song

Slurpee
07-27-2003, 01:58 AM
I always like BC yelling ... whatever ... but ... TOASE was just like... I dunno. Lame. Over processed. Something. I'll listen to it later. It's possible I'll like it. I'm thinking about it and it's not so bad.

Here's the real secret to appreciating TOASE's magnificence: see if you can listen past the screaming, past the guitars, past the noize, and hear those beautiful, scorching drums. It's difficult to make them out because they're so fast. I can't believe Jimmy played them like that, honestly, but interviews say the drum track is not manipulated. It's fucking unreal.

bonsor
07-27-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Slurpee

Here's the real secret to appreciating TOASE's magnificence: see if you can listen past the screaming, past the guitars, past the noize, and hear those beautiful, scorching drums. It's difficult to make them out because they're so fast. I can't believe Jimmy played them like that, honestly, but interviews say the drum track is not manipulated. It's fucking unreal. heroin: breakfast of champions.

ZERO
07-27-2003, 05:07 PM
my favourite song ever is To Forgive

James is Cool
07-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah. "In the Arms of Sleep" is my favorite Pumpkins song. This is such a well-deserved thread.

ZephZero33
07-27-2003, 07:56 PM
All of those songs at the end of MCIS are amazing. By Starlight is one of the greatest songs ever.

bonsor
07-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by James is Cool
Yeah. "In the Arms of Sleep" is my favorite Pumpkins song. This is such a well-deserved thread. my friend said something very itneresting about that song. the soundscapes are so illustrious that even if you don't pay attention to the words, you know exactly what billy is singing about.

peabody
07-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by ZephZero33
All of those songs at the end of MCIS are amazing. By Starlight is one of the greatest songs ever.

er...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTT!!"

i can't take that. it makes me laugh so hard.

pumpkinxyu
07-27-2003, 10:21 PM
i honestly can't find a single note on MCIS that could be improved in any way. 28 songs, each one a masterpiece in its own right. hell, the same goes for TAFH for that matter.

Ugly
07-27-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by peabody

i can't take that. it makes me laugh so hard.

That's just billy being over the top and melodramatic and it works for the song cuz its an over the top and melodramatic song.

The only song in MICS that makes me laugh from the badness would be "Cupid De Loke". I can't take any song seriously that has a spoken word portion. Seriously.

Injektilo
07-28-2003, 12:45 AM
Love

disslunker
07-29-2003, 01:18 AM
this thread reminds me of old netphoria.

i miss sp.

SP33
07-29-2003, 01:34 AM
Galapogos -- the best ever.
To Forgive
By Starlight

np: Today 930629

neopryn
07-29-2003, 01:41 AM
Cupid de Locke has a harp, man. How cool is that?

I don't think anyone's mentioned Fuck You, but I don't know if that's really a sleeper.

And the biggest sleeper of all: the title track. Unspeakaby gorgeous.

spring
07-29-2003, 08:55 AM
"to forgive" and "by starlight" make me melt...they were very high on my list of favourites ever since I first listened to MCIS.
"stumbleine" and "cupid de locke" and "we only come out at night" are soooo nice too :)

and, "take me down" and "farewell and goodnight" are such wonderful notes to end each disk on.

Ugly
07-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by neopryn
Cupid de Locke has a harp, man. How cool is that?

Yeah, ok, harp: you’re right there, that is pretty cool. Now that I think about it, it is a pretty ballsy track to put on an alternative album. Problem is, good intentions and being out there do not necessarily make for a good track. I know they were trying to go against the grain and all but I think “We Only Come Out At Night” and “Lilly” work a lot better to be the “offbeat and unique” tracks.

I think it just comes down to when I hear the spoken word part I’m thinking in my head that Billy was recording it in a room full of lit candles, James was just rolling his eyes, D’Arcy was waving her hands in the air saying “that was beautiful, man!” and Jimmy was just shooting up smack.

bonsor
07-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
And the biggest sleeper of all: the title track. Unspeakaby gorgeous. reminds me of the water level music on Mario 64.

James is Cool
07-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Ugly

I think it just comes down to when I hear the spoken word part I’m thinking in my head that Billy was recording it in a room full of lit candles, James was just rolling his eyes, D’Arcy was waving her hands in the air saying “that was beautiful, man!” and Jimmy was just shooting up smack.

I was thinking more like Michael McCary, bass vocalist of 90's pop wonders Boyz II Men. He always had those slick spoken parts that made the girls wet.

But really, I have no beef with "Cupid de Locke," and the spoken bit doesn't bother me.

James is Cool
07-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ******
reminds me of the water level music on Mario 64.

Whoa. Totally.