View Full Version : possible lyrical rip of 1979?

Electro
07-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Our last day of summer, 1979.
gotta live it up one time before it's over
we will make history tonight
Out at the drive-in
all of our closest friends will be sneaking in
you'll be spending the whole night trying to get that girl
to notice you
"We are the champions" playing loud on the radio station
everyone sing-along with these anthems of our generation
cruising down pacific coast highway
put the top down, crawl into the backseat
let's create some anthems of our own tonight
down at the roller rink
all the cool-kids crowding around the air-hockey table
"Hey, my best friend likes you!"
i hear you shout at me as you go skating by
sneak out of your window darling
let's live like outlaws honey
we'll never look back
climb out on this rooftop
and stare at the city lights below
this world belongs to us tonight

to me, this just feels a little too close to 1979, even though its complete pop bullshit

Dead
07-18-2003, 10:55 AM
The only similarities I see are "1979" and "cool kids". Doesn't look like a ripoff to me. Just coincidence. Its possible that the Pumpkins inspired the title tho. Who's song is this anyway?

Injektilo
07-18-2003, 12:51 PM
those lyrics are horrible.
they're a bit of a rip of the idea behind 1979, but i don't know about a straight ripoff.

aztec litany service
07-18-2003, 01:04 PM
"lights below"

Ugly
07-18-2003, 02:06 PM
I'd say "homage" cuz if "1979" is in the first freakin line, its obviously a refference. Not something like "ohhh, I hope they don't notice this"

cap'n jazz
07-18-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Electro
Out at the drive-in

HOLY FUCK! AT THE DRIVE-IN?!?E@?

jczeroman
07-18-2003, 03:25 PM
I would consider that pretty damn close to a rip off

Eulogy
07-18-2003, 04:28 PM
DIE ATARIS DIE.

Apparently the guy's daughter is named Starla or some shit. So I guess he's a big fan.

They are so bad though. So very bad.

0RyaN0
07-18-2003, 04:32 PM
This is a song by The Ataris off the new cd, So Long Astoria. I have been listening to the song for a while now and the thought didn't even cross my mind about a lyrics ripoff. The music isn't anything close. The two songs are actually pretty different. Someone told me a while back that Kris(lead singer) was a fan, but I don't know to what extent. There are some similarities though. I agree with Ugly its possible that this is more of a "homage." This song, and a lot of the other songs on the album are about Kris's childhood(/transition from Indiana to Cali). He left home when he was 14 because the dude from the Vandals called him out for music. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents. The Ataris music doesn't really fit this board, so I doubt you guys would even care, but you gotta throw them some respect. These guys have been playing poppunk before the Pumpkins were big.

RyaN

zoodboog
07-18-2003, 05:05 PM

With the headlights pointed at the dawn

To the lights and towns belowfeels like an enormous ripoff to me

Electro
07-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
DIE ATARIS DIE.

Apparently the guy's daughter is named Starla or some shit. So I guess he's a big fan.

They are so bad though. So very bad.

my future son's name shall be Bolly, and i will shave his head and lock him in the basement where he will become dark and demented where i shall then release him unto the world, and he will be known as Bolly, leader of the lost children and sell many records.

Ugly
07-18-2003, 10:37 PM
I saw the Ataris once, they were a pretty good pop-punk act, they got the crowd really into it. The only reason I was there to see the show was because Juliana Theory was the opening act and the ticket was really cheap. Aside from that, I can't speak much about thier style aside from it was loud. They do an awesome cover of Skid Row's "I'll Remember You", though.

Ugly
07-18-2003, 10:40 PM
This does lead to an interesting question, though: Where is the line between homage and straight up rip off? I'd have to listen to the song itself before I decided, personally.

np: The Ataris - I'll Remember You

Eulogy
07-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Ugly
I'd have to listen to the song itself before I decided, personally.

The similarities end with the lyrics.

DeviousJ
07-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by zoodboog
With the headlights pointed at the dawn

To the lights and towns below

feels like an enormous ripoff to me

Let's not go nuts.

I mean, I could do this:

This is the last song
it's almost over, it's almost over
we'll make things right, we'll feel it all tonight
Out at the drive-in
do the rubberman
Where's Vince?
to notice you
You should know that I love u
"We are the champions" playing loud on the radio station
Radio plays my favorite song! Radio! Radio!
everyone sing-along with these anthems of our generation
If I were dead, would my records sell?
Ride on motherfucker
put the top down, crawl into the backseat
in the back of the car the angel dust is given back to the stars
let's create some anthems of our own tonight
*star spangled banner*
down at the roller rink
Go for a swim, dry off in the wind
all the cool-kids crowding around the air-hockey table
A transformer always knows the score is 4
"Hey, my best friend likes you!"
Didn't want to be your friend
i hear you shout at me as you go skating by
A dog barks at u 2 prove he's all that
sneak out of your window darling
and thru her window shayayayade
let's live like outlaws honey
Come on honey let's go for a ride
we'll never look back
Get back get back where you belong!
climb out on this rooftop
On this rooftop, I am
Oh no! There goes Tokyo!
this world belongs to us tonight
The world is a vampire!

Ugly
07-20-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

Oh no! There goes Tokyo!

That's GOLD Jerry! Gold!

jai
07-20-2003, 01:05 PM

and he will be known as Bolly, leader of the lost children and sell many records.

many records? what billy are you thinking of?

tristessa
07-20-2003, 10:39 PM
i think it is extremely ripped off of 1979. the writer obviously tried to conjure up the same type of feeling that the 1979 lyrics do. he even used lots of the same lines. basically, if there was no 1979, there wouldnt be anything close to these lyrics. they are definately heavily inspired by 1979 in thrying to get the feel and he went too far using a lot of the same words and it's obvious; 1979, cool kids, lights (and towns) below... wow, what a rip off. its also suspicious how he sets up a situation with the line 'we are the champions' playing loud on the radio station' and how billy wrote 'june bug, skipping like a stone.'...

in 1979 billy says 'with the headlights pointed at the dawn', and this guy then writes 'cruising down pacific coast highway'

billy writes 'we were sure we'd never see an end to it all', this guy writes 'Our last day of summer, 1979. gotta live it up one time before it's over'. he tries to get a similar feel but this guy is no poet. its like hes saying the 1979 lyrics in a non poetic form, like he's doing a sh't paraphrease.

billy says 'to the lights and towns below'. this guy writes 'and stare at the city lights below'

theres even traces of tonight tonight. billy writes 'and if you believe theres not a chance tonight, tonight, so bright, tonight, we'll crucify the incincere tonight, we'll make things right we'll feel it all tonight, we'll find a way to offer up the night tonight, the indescribable moments of your life tonight, the impossible is possible tonight...'

and this guy writes' we will make history tonight... this world belongs to us tonight'

i think this guy really wanted to write lyrics with the feel of a 1979 or a tonight tonight and the only parst of his lyrics that are half decent are the parts he lifted straight out of billy's lyrics. the parts he wrote on his own suck.

0RyaN0
07-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by tristessa
i think it is extremely ripped off of 1979. the writer obviously tried to conjure up the same type of feeling that the 1979 lyrics do. he even used lots of the same lines. basically, if there was no 1979, there wouldnt be anything close to these lyrics. they are definately heavily inspired by 1979 in thrying to get the feel and he went too far using a lot of the same words and it's obvious; 1979, cool kids, lights (and towns) below... wow, what a rip off. its also suspicious how he sets up a situation with the line 'we are the champions' playing loud on the radio station' and how billy wrote 'june bug, skipping like a stone.'...

in 1979 billy says 'with the headlights pointed at the dawn', and this guy then writes 'cruising down pacific coast highway'

billy writes 'we were sure we'd never see an end to it all', this guy writes 'Our last day of summer, 1979. gotta live it up one time before it's over'. he tries to get a similar feel but this guy is no poet. its like hes saying the 1979 lyrics in a non poetic form, like he's doing a sh't paraphrease.

billy says 'to the lights and towns below'. this guy writes 'and stare at the city lights below'

theres even traces of tonight tonight. billy writes 'and if you believe theres not a chance tonight, tonight, so bright, tonight, we'll crucify the incincere tonight, we'll make things right we'll feel it all tonight, we'll find a way to offer up the night tonight, the indescribable moments of your life tonight, the impossible is possible tonight...'

and this guy writes' we will make history tonight... this world belongs to us tonight'

i think this guy really wanted to write lyrics with the feel of a 1979 or a tonight tonight and the only parst of his lyrics that are half decent are the parts he lifted straight out of billy's lyrics. the parts he wrote on his own suck.

Obviously you have never heard or seen the ataris ... keep your uneducated opinion to yourself. The Ataris are nothing like TSP, not even the same genre. Listen to a crapload of Ataris songs, and then you can come back and give and say he is "no poet" if you still feel that way. Until then, I don't really give a crap what you have to say. Some of Kris's words mean a lot to me, either he payed homage or this is just a coincidence. I don't think after writing songs for 10 years and building a lot of lyrical credibility within the punk scene, he would just randomly start copying bands to get popular. Listen to the music, but since its not something that is the same style as TSP, you would probably totally dismiss it. So who cares. Go hang out with Marlon. Jackass

DeviousJ
07-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by tristessa

Yeah, because nobody's ever written a song about being a kid or anything. 1979 was an original work of fiction!

bornentertainer
07-21-2003, 11:55 AM
I've never heard that song by the Ataris, but just by reading the lyrics, I knew it was by them. Their songs are ALL THE SAME. :noway:

Electro
07-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 0RyaN0

I don't think after writing songs for 10 years and building a lot of lyrical credibility within the punk scene, he would just randomly start copying bands to get popular.

the punk scene? since when does punk have any credibility? lol and punk is whats popular right now, i mean christ, if even a shitty ass band like sum 41 can be popular, you can make money as long as you lable yourself "punk". so ok, lets all go rage against that machine by not doing shit except bitch and moan about how our suburbia life sucks where everything isnt given to you and everyone is fake. that type of thought will get you flipping burgers at McDonald's...which i think is kinda ironic..

Eulogy
07-21-2003, 01:57 PM

Obviously you have never heard or seen the ataris ... keep your uneducated opinion to yourself. The Ataris are nothing like TSP, not even the same genre. Listen to a crapload of Ataris songs, and then you can come back and give and say he is "no poet" if you still feel that way. Until then, I don't really give a crap what you have to say. Some of Kris's words mean a lot to me, either he payed homage or this is just a coincidence. I don't think after writing songs for 10 years and building a lot of lyrical credibility within the punk scene, he would just randomly start copying bands to get popular. Listen to the music, but since its not something that is the same style as TSP, you would probably totally dismiss it. So who cares. Go hang out with Marlon. Jackass
Yeah, that other kid is obviously retarded...but still...

Lyrical credibility? The Ataris lyrics are horrifyingly bad. Horrifyingly, I say. They're a nothing-special, energetic pop-punk band with shitty songs and even worse lyrics. In my opinion.

tristessa
07-21-2003, 03:25 PM

say what you want but you cant deny your beloved 'Kris's' lyrics.