View Full Version : does anyone listen to Machina II anymore?

Caine Walker
07-11-2003, 09:55 PM
i had thought about it the other day, and it occured to me just how by-the-way it is.

reading the two threads about mellon collie, adore and whatnot also lead me to wonder if anyone actually considers machina II an "album."

oh, and why doesn't anyone like In My Body?

hupette gros
07-11-2003, 10:04 PM
I think Machina II is a pretty good album. I still listen to it and I really like In My Body

Ugly
07-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Its better than MACHINA I, alot more raw and has great songs like Cash Car Star, Lucky 13, Let Me Give the World To You, Dross, Blue Skies Heavy and If There Is a God. I consider it an album.

pumpkinxyu
07-11-2003, 10:28 PM
i listen to it less than any of the other albums. it really is a great body of work, although i don't think it's even close to as good as MACHINA. "In My Body" might be the best song on there, but i like "Innosense" and a few others just as much. the format of MACHINA II makes it almost confusing to take in, because you're thinking...ok, are these EP thingies with repeated tracks from the LP thingies part of the album too? i've pretty much concluded that they're not, but there's some great stuff on the EP's too. in terms of MACHINA II's overall place as a cohesive pumpkins album, i'd stick it behind everything but Gish (and i love Gish).

the very existence of MACHINA II and its success in circulating around the community is pretty impressive in and of itself, but the fact that it's a beautiful musical conclusion to the Pumpkins is even better. anyway, i know what i'll be listening to in the car tomorrow.

oclaftap
07-11-2003, 10:30 PM
yeh Machina II is an awesome album, Let me give the world to You and If there is a god are two of my favorite pumpkin songs

Ugly
07-11-2003, 10:51 PM
I my head I justify it to myself that the LP (from Glass Theme to Here's to the Atomb Bomb) is the actual MACHINA II album and the EPs would be what you would get if there were b-sides. Unless you consider MACHINA II to be entirely b-sides so that would make them C-sides.

Reyngel
07-11-2003, 11:25 PM
I haven't listened to it in like a year and a half. And before that, another year.

Eulogy
07-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Well, in my mind, the Pumpkins made 5 albums.

But I do enjoy listening to it. I just forget about it a lot.

Caine Walker
07-12-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Eulogy

But I do enjoy listening to it. I just forget about it a lot.

exactly.

mosquitoboy
07-12-2003, 02:49 AM
i like it

Glare Seethe
07-12-2003, 05:39 AM
I rarely listen to it, not because I forget about it but because it sucks. It's the worst album they've ever done, I think (and for the record, I'm refering just to the LP, though the EPs aren't that much better).

There are, however, a few gems on it: LMGTWTY, Innosense and Real Love... the last one being one of my favorite SP songs.

allenriley
07-12-2003, 05:10 PM
i listened to it the other day. the only part i dont like is the version of heavy metal machine.

pale blue eyes
07-12-2003, 05:14 PM
I couldn't even tell you the last time I listened to it - probably almost a year ago I think. I was never a huge fan of it - I think it is a little too uneven for me to get all too attached to.

Deege
07-12-2003, 05:18 PM
I never listen to the b-side disc, but I listen to the main one quite a lot. The Q101 version... Let Me Give The World To You would have actually gave the Pumpkins a lot of renewed success. Great song. I wish they would have officially released the album...Or at least put LMGTWTY on Rotten Apples. Oh well, that's all in the past and the pumpkins are done. Great album though. Home, In My Body...really sounds like that's the direction the band would have ended up going....and Dross could have been the next "Zero"...Innosence sounds like it's right off of Mellon Collie...I always thought If There Is A God was a bit hokey, but even it's not as bad as a lot of Zwan.

DeviousJ
07-12-2003, 05:45 PM
In My Body = teh sux.

Sorry guys.

Gary
07-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Caine Walker

If it weren't for the fact that Dross & Cash Car Star are on Machina II it would be my favorite track on it. Also, I like Machina II more than Machina for some reason.

wangcomputers
07-12-2003, 08:38 PM
i don't really consider it an album.

it's 'raw feel', sounds more like a result of terrible production.
(and i think i have one of the 'clearer' copies.)
there are a few good tracks, but personally i categorise it with MP. It just sounds like a compilation of alternative versions and demos.

NegativeSleep
07-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
In My Body = teh sux.

Sorry guys.

NEGATORY.

oui henri
07-13-2003, 09:52 AM
i listen to it once in a while, but that's the same with all of my SP albums.

SomaPhreak
07-14-2003, 12:17 AM
I listen to the single disc compilation of Machina II I made for myself every month or two. There is some great stuff on there. Properly sequenced, I think it is a good album.

smashingjj
07-14-2003, 08:31 PM
in my body iz cool.

MstrGhost
07-14-2003, 09:19 PM
I really like In My Body
In My Body kicks ass.
in my body iz cool
:think:

Come on! We've already had the General Forum full of masturbation threads last week.

Diamond Dream
07-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Im listening to it right now!

It's better than I remembered and I really think that Machina would be a better album if some M2 songs were on it.

for exemple..

Glass' Theme
LMGTWTY
Try, Try, Try (Alt. Version)
Blue Skies (Heavy)
Home

ava transformer
07-16-2003, 08:10 AM
i actually listen to it pretty regularly, i still love cash car star, home, slow dawn, dross.

alisonmonster
07-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Listen to it quite a bit. Dross is my favorite and i actually like their version of Soul Power.

I listen to it the same way as i listen to PI. A collection .

mirrar
07-16-2003, 08:47 PM
i never listen to it.. i sometimes get a craving for home and dross, but i can't be bothered digging through the sp boxes in my room to find it.. i don't really see it as an album, probably because i'm so used to having the cover art/cd booklet around...

Caine Walker
07-17-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by MstrGhost

:think:

Come on! We've already had the General Forum full of masturbation threads last week.

mm, i seem to remember quite a few people saying how much they hated that song when it came out. being proved wrong is sweet sometimes.

Boycott Graceland
07-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Gary
If it weren't for the fact that Dross & Cash Car Star are on Machina II it would be my favorite track on it. Also, I like Machina II more than Machina for some reason.
you should post more, because i like your avatar.

Gary
07-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland

you should post more, because i like your avatar.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/spumpkins/Narcus.jpg

Hughzims
07-20-2003, 07:08 AM
There is not really a bad song on Machina II. Songs like Real Love and If There Is A God even though being really good songs have a crunchy and sludge sound that makes it unlistenable. Besides that it's a great record.