View Full Version : Kosher.

meow
07-01-2003, 11:45 PM
What makes things Kosher? what is the definition of kosher? CAN SALT BE KOSHER?

noyen
07-01-2003, 11:53 PM
www.google.com

meow
07-01-2003, 11:55 PM
NO I WANT TO HEAR IT FROM NETPHORIA

jenniferkate
07-01-2003, 11:56 PM
(idea) by mE123 (8.4 hr) (print) _ ? _ 1 C! Fri Jun 09 2000 at 2:04:17

The restrictions on food that are given in the Old Testament are called Kosher. It limits Jews to eating only kosher animals (Animals with cloven hoofs and that chew their cud) non-meat eating fowl and scaled and boned fish. It also disallows Jews to eat meat and milk together (this is out of respect for the animal (i.e. don't seethe an animal in its mother's milk) and also to separate life and death (meat is death, milk is life)).

There are also rules on how an animal that is considered kosher has to be killed. The animal must be kill in the least painful manner possible. This is done by cutting the neck of the animal with a very sharp knife. The animal is then drained and salted (this is the main reason kosher meat tastes different) to get rid of all the blood (which is later buried).

kosher salt, im guessing, is called such because its coarse-grained salt thats used to cure kosher meat.

noyen
07-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by meow
NO I WANT TO HEAR IT FROM NETPHORIA

WHAT THE CRAP?

STFU.

SWING SWING. TANGLES. HEART.

BOLLY!

A/S/L?

LOLAIDS.

DILLS ARE GOOD.

RACIST.

DOES AIDS MEAN SOMETHING?

I WORK WITH PEOPLE.

MY NEW CAR IS FAST.

BUTTSEX HURTS!

andysong
07-01-2003, 11:59 PM
some jewish girl was telling me last week how pork has to be cooked with a blowtorch before its considered kosher, i mean wtf.

meow
07-02-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by noyen

WHAT THE CRAP?

STFU.

SWING SWING. TANGLES. HEART.

BOLLY!

A/S/L?

LOLAIDS.

DILLS ARE GOOD.

RACIST.

DOES AIDS MEAN SOMETHING?

I WORK WITH PEOPLE.

MY NEW CAR IS FAST.

BUTTSEX HURTS!

:D

meow
07-02-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by jenniferkate

The restrictions on food that are given in the Old Testament are called Kosher. It limits Jews to eating only kosher animals (Animals with cloven hoofs and that chew their cud) non-meat eating fowl and scaled and boned fish. It also disallows Jews to eat meat and milk together (this is out of respect for the animal (i.e. don't seethe an animal in its mother's milk) and also to separate life and death (meat is death, milk is life)).

There are also rules on how an animal that is considered kosher has to be killed. The animal must be kill in the least painful manner possible. This is done by cutting the neck of the animal with a very sharp knife. The animal is then drained and salted (this is the main reason kosher meat tastes different) to get rid of all the blood (which is later buried).

kosher salt, im guessing, is called such because its coarse-grained salt thats used to cure kosher meat. that seems like a lot of work just to eat

Thank you for the honest reply <3

Cell
07-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by jenniferkate

It also disallows Jews to eat meat and milk together (this is out of respect for the animal (i.e. don't seethe an animal in its mother's milk) and also to separate life and death (meat is death, milk is life)).

Pretty much any diary product with any meat product isn't allowed, for example, a cheeseburger isn't kosher I don't think.

Edit: Also, I think a rabbi has to oversee the killing of the animals..or bless the slaughterhouse, something along those lines in order for it to be kosher.

killed radio star
07-02-2003, 12:40 AM
durr, how is bleeding an animal to death the least painful way :think:

meow
07-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Cell

Pretty much any diary product with any meat product isn't allowed, for example, a cheeseburger isn't kosher I don't think.

DAMN IM GLAD I DIDNT GET THE KOSHER MEAL

meow
07-02-2003, 01:24 AM
FearFactory says that the blood can't touch the animal

AndItsAllGone
07-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by andysong
some jewish girl was telling me last week how pork has to be cooked with a blowtorch before its considered kosher, i mean wtf.

I didn't think pigs were kosher at all.

AndItsAllGone
07-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by killed radio star
durr, how is bleeding an animal to death the least painful way :think:

From Ohr Somayach (http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php?id_number=1177):

"An animal or bird must be slaughtered according to Jewish law (shechita). This involves cutting the animal's trachea and oesophagus (the carotid and jugular are also severed) with a surgically sharp knife. The cut must be swift, continuous and performed by an expert. This method of slaughter reduces the blood pressure in the brain to zero immediately, so that the animal loses consciousness in a few seconds and dies in minutes."

killed radio star
07-02-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by AndItsAllGone

From Ohr Somayach (http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php?id_number=1177):

"An animal or bird must be slaughtered according to Jewish law (shechita). This involves cutting the animal's trachea and oesophagus (the carotid and jugular are also severed) with a surgically sharp knife. The cut must be swift, continuous and performed by an expert. This method of slaughter reduces the blood pressure in the brain to zero immediately, so that the animal loses consciousness in a few seconds and dies in minutes."

ah, very interesting.

beef curtains
07-02-2003, 02:17 AM
I could never be jewish. cheese + meat together = the best invention ever