View Full Version : Anyone have some extra microphones for sale?

starlightvideoproductions
06-23-2003, 06:26 PM
I just picked up a nice miniDV cam, and wanted to get some decent microphones for it. Any suggestions or offers?

sarmatianus
06-23-2003, 08:17 PM
You might have a problem getting something to give a decent stereo separation that will fit on top of the camera. Not saying you can't find an appropriate accessory, but when I film stuff, I usually record audio separately and sync it later.

Note: if you record DAT separately, then definitely use 48KHz, as that's DV audio standard.

06-23-2003, 08:31 PM
I don't have a DAT recorder. So I just wanted to get good sound with the camera. I just notice seeing the miniDV cams are so small, a lot of times the microphone on the unit itself picks up the motor sounds of the unit itself.

Also, I don't want to attach the mics to the cam itself. I was hoping to maybe get a pair of those mics that can attach to glasses (seeing I wear glasses :))

Dead
06-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Get some fancy mics, put them on a 7 foot mic stand, tape the stand to the top of the camera, and hook the mics in.. and you're all set. :cool:

06-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Dead
Get some fancy mics, put them on a 7 foot mic stand, tape the stand to the top of the camera, and hook the mics in.. and you're all set. :cool:

That would be quite the elite camera. Even more elite with Zwan stickers :)

sarmatianus
06-23-2003, 10:31 PM

Eh. I wouldn't want my camera to be that far away, though.

In any case, if you go that route, I'd advise keeping the camera and mics on separate stands, as you may want to pan and tilt the camera without disturbing your mics.

THRILLHO
06-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by sarmatianus

In any case, if you go that route, I'd advise keeping the camera and mics on separate stands, as you may want to pan and tilt the camera without disturbing your mics.

i just discovered your PM box is full. un-fill it!
then i saw your name on 'most recently posted' for this board.
um, i'll leave now. (i learned something from reading this thread though!)

Dead
06-24-2003, 12:41 AM
I said tape the stand to the top of the camera, not tape the camera to the top of the stand.

sarmatianus
06-24-2003, 01:25 AM

I said tape the stand to the top of the camera, not tape the camera to the top of the stand.

Duly noted.

Still, if you're not stealthing your video, then you probably can record on stands, if not SBD. So I'd say to set up your microphones in the best place for something like stands or near the SBD in the event of a direct feed and then try to get close to the stage and prop the camera against the top of a barrier or something similarly stable. That way you'll get awesome picture and awesome sound without worrying about the position of one compromising the other.

My point is the best place for a camera and the best place for microphones likely aren't anywhere close to one another. Unless you're at the front of the balcony. Now that's an idea...

Anyway, yes Dead, I understand what you're saying.

Dead
06-24-2003, 02:27 AM
Anyway, yes Dead, I understand what you're saying.
This is what I'm talkin bout:

http://members.rogers.com/deadster/rig.gif

Alias
06-24-2003, 05:44 PM
if theres one thing the zwan community needs more of, it's pointless hoarded video recordings. come on guys, help out.

sarasvati
06-24-2003, 09:57 PM
that pic made me smile :D