View Full Version : CDRs


Azael
06-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Ok, i've been out of the loop for quite some time now, so forgive me. What kinda CDRs do most of the people here use? And what are the most trustworthy brands?

Thanks.

Jaggie
06-18-2003, 01:47 AM
I like Sony. Generally speaking any CDR manufactured by Taiyo Yuden can be trusted, iirc.

Dead
06-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Fuji brand. You can get them pretty cheap in the 50 cd spindles. Maybe not if you live in some weird country. But they kick ass. Manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (the best).

Azael
06-18-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Jaggie
I like Sony. Generally speaking any CDR manufactured by Taiyo Yuden can be trusted, iirc.

Good, these were the ones i got.
I shall check out and see if we sell Fuji too.

Thanks.

Dead
06-18-2003, 01:50 AM
I bought a few Sony a long time ago. As I remember, they were not by Taiyo Yuden. I'm pretty sure it was some undesirable manufacturer. They had blue/yellow covers.

Azael
06-18-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Dead
I bought a few Sony a long time ago. As I remember, they were not by Taiyo Yuden. I'm pretty sure it was some undesirable manufacturer. They had blue/yellow covers.

You're mean.

*stares suspiciously at used CDRs*

Dead
06-18-2003, 02:03 AM
<table>
<tr>
<td><img height="30" width="30" src="http://members.rogers.com/zerolove/thumbsdownanim.gif"></td>
<td>http://www.vypal.cz/imgs/katalog/sony1.JPG</td>
<td><img height="30" width="30" src="http://members.rogers.com/zerolove/thumbsdownanim.gif"></td>
</tr>
</table>

The Gaddrow
06-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Dead
Fuji brand. You can get them pretty cheap in the 50 cd spindles. Maybe not if you live in some weird country. But they kick ass. Manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (the best). Word. I had like five out of ten bad burns with the only sony batch I have ever bought. I've only had two bad burns out of at least 400 discs using Fuji TY's.

pale blue eyes
06-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Dead
Fuji brand. You can get them pretty cheap in the 50 cd spindles. Maybe not if you live in some weird country. But they kick ass. Manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (the best).

Brewer
06-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow
Word. I had like five out of ten bad burns with the only sony batch I have ever bought. I've only had two bad burns out of at least 400 discs using Fuji TY's.

bullshit! You know why? If you don't have bad burns with a CDR brand doesn't mean they are of good quality. That ONLY means that the compatibility between your burner and CDR brand is good.

I'm sure I can burn thousand of Ritek CDRs without any bad burns but there are bad quality CDRs as it has been proved.

There's a big difference between compatibility and good quality CDR. What I mean by good quality CDR is long lifetime.

I've burned lots of Sony CDR (made by Sony) and I haven't had any bad burns.

Brewer
06-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Dead
I bought a few Sony a long time ago. As I remember, they were not by Taiyo Yuden. I'm pretty sure it was some undesirable manufacturer. They had blue/yellow covers.

Those ones are made by Sony and are good quality CDRs

Brewer
06-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Dead
Fuji brand. You can get them pretty cheap in the 50 cd spindles. Maybe not if you live in some weird country. But they kick ass. Manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (the best).

I'm sorry to say that those Fuji Tayo Yunden are pretty hard to find in Europe.
And BTW, Europe is not a weird country as far as I know. I would say that the USA is more weird country than Europe since that you got an extra stupid president that started a war for some hidden destructive weapons that don't even exist! Weird, isn't it!!!;)

Dead
06-18-2003, 01:02 PM
<font size="10">CANADA KICKS ASS!</font>

boudewijn
06-18-2003, 02:33 PM
TDK for sure

spacey raygun
06-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Brewer


I'm sorry to say that those Fuji Tayo Yunden are pretty hard to find in Europe.
And BTW, Europe is not a weird country as far as I know. I would say that the USA is more weird country than Europe since that you got an extra stupid president that started a war for some hidden destructive weapons that don't even exist! Weird, isn't it!!!;)

europe isnt a country

Fattening Ass
06-18-2003, 03:39 PM
i use yamaha or verbatim. i prefer yamaha.

MstrGhost
06-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by boudewijn
TDK for sure

They come with dust and small scratches even when sealed.
To ensure best quality always buy sealed in jewel cases. No problems with sealed mitsui, sony, verbatin in Europe. Tdk is way pricey and sucks.

porcelinaoceans
06-19-2003, 10:32 AM
-

The Gaddrow
06-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Brewer
bullshit! Uhh. No.

Taiyo Yuden have the highest compatibility rate as compared to other CDr manufacturers. There was a site which ran tests, but I can't remember what it was. I'm sure someone here will.

RumoredToTheS&N
06-19-2003, 07:07 PM
in case it wasn't brought up earlier, apparently most fujis sold in europe are NOT made by taiyo yuden, but by ritek, which are among the worst cd-r's made. american fujis are taiyo yuden, though.
and if anyone out there is into the dvd-r thing, weirdly enough taiyo yuden dvd-r's rank near the bottom according to a test dv magazine did last year....
:confused:

Dead
06-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Well that totally sucks cause I special ordered 45 TY dvd-rs. That is a buttload of cash. Son of a biatch! I could have gotten 4x media by some other brand but I settled for 2x for the TY brand name. WAAAAAH!

So what are the best brands then?

btw I've used 3 of the TYs and they're fine so far. My Sony and Fuji DVD+RWs are fine as well.

RumoredToTheS&N
06-20-2003, 12:01 AM
aw, man. that sucks!
these were the highest-rated brands:

dvd-r for authoring (3.95GB)
mitsui (98%)
pioneer (98%)
ridata (98%)
tdk (96%)
verbatim (90%)

NONE of the 4.7GB dvd-r's had better than 80%.
dvd-rw's and dvd+rw's did a lot worse.
taiyo yuden's scored 63%.
keep in mind, though, that this test was almost a year ago, and taiyo's may have improved since then....

Dead
06-20-2003, 12:33 AM
If I remember correctly, dvd-r for authoring are different from regular dvd-r. I don't know if that makes any difference. Also, I might be wrong. But since the three I've used have been fine, I'll just assume mine are ok. Thanks for the info. :cool:

Boycott Graceland
06-21-2003, 03:31 AM
at my local target they're selling verbatim cd-rs at $30 for 100 or $10 for 50.

:confused:

Brewer
06-21-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow
Uhh. No.

Taiyo Yuden have the highest compatibility rate as compared to other CDr manufacturers. There was a site which ran tests, but I can't remember what it was. I'm sure someone here will.

Again sorry but you're wrong as fas as I know.

I only know one site that ran tests : CDMEDIAWORLD

CDMEDIAWORLD (http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml)

On that page you can read,

CD-R Quality vs CD-R Compatibility

Most people think that when they have burned up a spindle and did not get any coaster that the quality of these CD-R's was very good. In fact this is NOT true as this only tells you that the used CD-R's are compatible with your CD-Writer.
Over the years most CD-Writer manufacturers have learned how to make their hardware compatibility with all kinds of CD-R's (even the low budget media!) so it is not strange that less coasters occure.

So keep in mind that nobody can claim that a certain CD-R is of good quality just by successfully burning a number of CD-R's!



There is also a test made on CDR quality.
Keep in mind that these tests are quite old (but since there are the only ones avalaible we have to take them as a reference) and are maybe not an accurate way of judging CDR quality since most of manufacturers have changes their dyes,...

Brewer
06-21-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by RumoredToTheS&amp;N
in case it wasn't brought up earlier, apparently most fujis sold in europe are NOT made by taiyo yuden, but by ritek, which are among the worst cd-r's made. american fujis are taiyo yuden, though.
and if anyone out there is into the dvd-r thing, weirdly enough taiyo yuden dvd-r's rank near the bottom according to a test dv magazine did last year....
:confused:

All the Fuji CDRs I got here in Europe were made by Fujifilm which is good (see CDMEDIAWORLD CDR QUALITY TESTS (http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml)