View Full Version : Glynis Appreciation Thread

thebunk
06-16-2003, 03:02 AM
I don't know about everyone else but Glynis was a turning point for me in how I perceived Smashing Pumpkins. When I first bought the No Alternative CD (one of the best compilations ever IMO), I was in a sudden state of shock upon the initial listen. The song was so unconventional and seemed to change structures throughout the song more then any other SP song that became before it (and without the use loud distortion to boot).

It took me a long time to warm to it but once I did get into it, I could not stop listening to it. My appreciation for the song grew even more once I bought the No Alternative video and learned what the insperation for the song was.

When you hear of people talking about great SP bsides, this is one that never seems to come up. Anyone else think Glynis is a true diamond in the rough and deserves more appreciation then what it gets?

shaniqua
06-16-2003, 03:19 AM
it's #42 on my top-100 sp songs of all-time.

thebunk
06-16-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by shaunna
it's #42 on my top-100 sp songs of all-time.

I would like to see that list if you already have t typed out and stored somewhere.

shaniqua
06-16-2003, 03:45 AM
http://www.livejournal.com/users/shaunna/125462.html#cutid1

RopeyLopey
06-16-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by shaunna
http://www.livejournal.com/users/shaunna/125462.html#cutid1

crestfallen+today=two more spots closer to the bottom for RopeyLopey(currently 90.)

shaniqua
06-16-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by RopeyLopey

crestfallen+today=two more spots closer to the bottom for RopeyLopey(currently 90.)

whoa, you're keeping track?!?!

it's been revamped a coupla times. the more i think of it, the higher up glynis really should be.

Spaldz
06-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Thats one of my favourite Pumpkins songs.

Salena Child
06-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Spaldz
Thats one of my favourite Pumpkins songs.
mine too!

Glare Seethe
06-16-2003, 12:27 PM
It's certainly one of the most unique songs the Pumpkins have ever done (along with Cupid De Locke), and yeah, one of the best too, probably. I love it. Especially the mandolins during the second chorus and the awesome wah solo.

I just wish I had a better quality version of it - all I have is a shitty mp3. Oh well.

wounded
06-16-2003, 06:36 PM
i was always pissed off that the pumpkins never busted this song out in their later years. at least just a couple times.

The Pantsmaster
06-16-2003, 10:12 PM
i had no idea that high pitched sound at the end was Billy's voice until I saw the No Alternative video years later :erm

andysong
06-17-2003, 01:04 AM
I love playing this song on guitar, its just an excellent song + somewhat different to most other pumpkins stuff

Junebug
06-18-2003, 02:48 PM
heck yes. I wish they had played it on tour as well...such a shame. I only heard the live video version for the longest time and thought that was the only one out there, so when I heard the album version I was shocked. they're both so beautiful and Billy's voice just sounds great. aww what a wonderful song.

Travis Meekz
06-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Yes, I definetly agree with this thread. I heard gynis right when I was getting into SP, right after I heard mcis....then drown...then glynis (dled off the old SPAA). I think drown and glynis are equally responsable for turning me on to a life filled of sp obsession. Both held equally strong meanings for me. Great song

yesterdays
06-18-2003, 09:31 PM
#3 on my all time list,,i love the quitar twang

mellon_c0llie
06-18-2003, 09:43 PM
love this song.

i think it represents what the pumpkins could have done after gish if billy hadn't written today.

sorta like he had to reformulate his plan so he could write more music.

thebunk
06-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by mellon_c0llie
love this song.

i think it represents what the pumpkins could have done after gish if billy hadn't written today.

sorta like he had to reformulate his plan so he could write more music.

I thought Glynis was a SD or post SD era song. Was it written during or after the Gish period?