View Full Version : Question: making a live cd

Lucky13
06-12-2003, 08:26 AM
my friends band is having a cd release party on july 12th and my "job" is to make a live cd out of the show..my questions are..

1. should i just get a soundboard patch and leave it at that?

2. if i get a soundboard patch..should i have an some others tape from the crowd?

3. if i set up audience mics..where should i put them?? how many mics should i use?

any other tips or ideas will be helpful

Axis of Action
06-12-2003, 12:44 PM
Not that I'm a taper, but having traded for some time I'll give you _some_ advice.

Do a SBD patch if you can, but also get a couple DAT recordings if you can as well. Used right, DAT recordings can sometimes sound... fuller, than SBD recordings.

As for the mics, I'd station them about 10-15 feet away from the stacks. Either stack will do, as far as I know.

As for any more specific advice... well, you'll have to wait for real tapers to talk. :p

vdj451
06-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Any advice from experienced tapers would be great right now. Does anyone have a "Taper's Manual" for us virgins out there who want to get started on working shows? Something that covers procedures and equipment would be greatly appreciated.

lament
06-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by vdj451
Does anyone have a "Taper's Manual" for us virgins out there

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25348

2Scoops
06-12-2003, 06:21 PM
1. wouldn't hurt to grab a second audience source. as sbd feeds are usually dry.

2. sure, it doesn't hurt your sbd tape in anyway so....

3. to keep it simple i'd put one in the "sweet" spot.

you can mix the 2 togethor later. if you have more than one audience taper i.e one doing each stack, this will only work if they have the same rig, positioned the same distance away from the stack and some other variables that don't come to mind right now have to be kept the same. other wise it'll sound funny. if i was doing this i'd just stick to 1sbd taper and 1 audience taper, on a stand perferably..

DeviousJ
06-13-2003, 08:09 AM
Heh, I thought Julie posted this thread