View Full Version : Ed O'Brien on SP

TiaraGurl
06-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Okay I know I am going to get yelled at because I don't have all the info but I can tell you this-in the new SPIN with Thom Yorke on the cover Ed O'Brien says something like "well with a band like smashing pumpkins you get the impression that some of the members felt replaceable." This was in relation to how radiohead made HTTT vs. other albums.

so if someone has their SPIN in front of them and would like to furnish the exact quote please do.

TiaraGurl
06-11-2003, 07:16 PM
In a band like the Smashing Pumpkins, that kind of songwriting situation caused problems, because one gets the impression certain members of that band felt replaceable," O'Brien says. "But if you feel good about yourself, you will be honest and generous toward other people. I hope Thom makes a solo album in the future; there's no doubt he will. And it will be fucking amazing. But as a band, we are all individually essential. In Radiohead, no one is replaceable."

kevinjboconnor
06-12-2003, 12:12 AM
like billy said, darcy would order food she wasnt replaceable.

why ed, why won't you just listen

KingJeremy
06-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by kevinjboconnor
like billy said, darcy would order food she wasnt replaceable.

why ed, why won't you just listen :D

SpFission
06-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Radiohead = Overrated

Hail to the Thief <= MSOTS

And the sad thing is , Radiohead actually tried to make a great album, using there best material, while its seems as if Zwan chose their worst songs for some reason.

AndItsAllGone
06-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by SpFission

And the sad thing is , Radiohead actually tried to make a great album, using there best material, while its seems as if Zwan chose their worst songs for some reason.

Funnier than Ralph Wiggum.

Sacred Age Of Innocence
06-12-2003, 03:16 AM
Radiohead is & has always been overrated.

severin
06-12-2003, 03:25 AM
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25310

soeren
06-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Sacred Age Of Innocence

Jesse Miller
06-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by SpFission
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Eulogy
06-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I FUCKING HATE THE TERM 'OVERRATED.'

in stereo
06-12-2003, 03:11 PM
As much as I loathe the new radiohead, I've heard their new album, and c'mon, it's better than MSOTS. But then again, what ISN'T better than MSOTS?

interzone
06-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by in stereo
what ISN'T better than MSOTS?

This might not be.
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf800/f868/f86860t7rrr.jpg

Corganist
06-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Sacred Age Of Innocence

Jesse Miller
06-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by interzone

This might not be.
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf800/f868/f86860t7rrr.jpg
No, it isn't. That's a *horrible* album. :hurl:

in stereo
06-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Jewel's new "look" is pure comedy gold. How someone could sell out that blatantly is beyond me. One minute she's this singer-songwriter/poet type...now she's another Britney...

Money talks I guess.

:noway:

bonsor
06-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
I FUCKING HATE THE TERM 'OVERRATED.' You're overrated.

Pieces
06-13-2003, 04:09 PM
I think Ed's point was that HTTT was the first album where every band member was working on the songs/lyrics/structure, etc, compared to previous albums where Thom did the majority of the song writing.

Let's face it, the Pumpkins would be nothing without Billy, and Billy would still have made it in some form or another without the Pumpkins.

Just looking at MC&IS, James wrote tapes full of songs for MC&IS, of which, ONE track made it. The one song I'd actually say SUCKS from MC&IS. The rest got demoted to B-sides.

No offence to the other band members, they were great at what they did, but they were not song writers.

interzone
06-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Pieces
Let's face it, the Pumpkins would be nothing without Billy, and Billy would still have made it in some form or another without the Pumpkins.

Just looking at MC&IS, James wrote tapes full of songs for MC&IS, of which, ONE track made it. The one song I'd actually say SUCKS from MC&IS. The rest got demoted to B-sides.

No offence to the other band members, they were great at what they did, but they were not song writers.

No , they were not all songwriters, but every time I hear Zwan, I think the other members of SP must have had more input into the band than we all previously thought.

TiaraGurl
06-13-2003, 08:42 PM
I think a band is like a serious long term relationship who is to say what factors go into it lasting or breaking up.

hendy
06-13-2003, 09:03 PM

Me too! That word is so overrated.

zoodboog
06-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by hendy

Me too! That word is so overrated. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

interzone
06-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Jesse Miller

No, it isn't. That's a *horrible* album. :hurl:

But the tracklisting looked so promising! How can you go wrong with a song called "U and Me = Love" or "2 Find U"?

Mood ring
06-13-2003, 10:27 PM
wasnt the Siamese Dream recordings the ultimate pressure point for SP at that time. James and Darcy go through a breakup, Jimmy goes MIA for a time, shit, Billy had to do what he did. Plus, Butch Vig played a role in keeping that thing together...I see this O'brien fellow propping up his own band at the expense of some misperceptions about Billy.

I should kick his ass. :)

Dead
06-14-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Pieces
Just looking at MC&IS, James wrote tapes full of songs for MC&IS, of which, ONE track made it.
I don't think he wrote THAT many songs, at least I didn't get that impression from interviews or whatever.

thebunk
06-16-2003, 04:19 AM

I fucking hate people that reply in all capitalized letters.

Death rock boy
06-19-2003, 03:40 PM
I think the majority of good bands have an undeniable sound and style as a result of the combination of those people, a sound and style which is undeniable and which ultimately leads to some bands just feeling 'great', and having this entire niche for themselves that they have carved out.

However, I also think Ed O'Brien has a point. I mean, I think Billy brought the songs to the band, and the band would play the songs Billy wrote, and then try their own things over it, and Billy would edit what the other musicians were adding so it fitted with his original vision. So, ultimately, you have the coming together of musical ideas that is starting and ending with one person, but has other ideas thrown into the mix. Radiohead, on the other hand, are much more group based (based on what I have seen/read), and all of them have a hand in the creation of songs from conception through to the final thing, making the entire structure and format of songs a group thing.

Basically, I think that SP were SP as a result of the 4 of them, but there is no denying that nothing happened in that band which Billy didn't like, and the rest of the band were in complete agreement that SP was Billy's band, and everything they contributed to the band, however important in hindsight, was all put there to suit Billy's idea on how the band should sound. Radiohead on the other hand, is a 5-way system that although is managed by Thom, is certainly not completely under his control.

Ugly
06-19-2003, 04:03 PM
^ above argument, while well worded, is really just splitting metaphorical hairs.

I think the most likely thing is Ed O’Brien said something like “Yeah, Thom may micromanage, but hey LOOK AT THOSE GUYS OVER THERE! NOW THAT’S MICROMANAGING!! NOT US! NO SIREE! WE’RE A COLABORATION!! Heh heh heh. Phew. Dogged THAT bullet!”

mojo
06-20-2003, 07:40 PM
surely the major difference between the two bands is thom yorke's intimate and longstanding creative relationship with johnny greenwood who is an exceptional guitar player which much as we love him james was not.

skippy
06-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by thebunk

I fucking hate people .

helloktkat
06-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Mood ring
wasnt the Siamese Dream recordings the ultimate pressure point for SP at that time. James and Darcy go through a breakup, Jimmy goes MIA for a time, shit, Billy had to do what he did. Plus, Butch Vig played a role in keeping that thing together...I see this O'brien fellow propping up his own band at the expense of some misperceptions about Billy.

I should kick his ass. :)

i agree
ironic that ed would say that, when he has always seemed like the most replaceable (should say expendable) member of radiohead.

i must say though
he sounds like he's talking out of his ass, cos when i saw radiohead for their amnesiac tour, i couldn't believe my eyes when jonny greenwood and ed obrien were sitting on the stage, sans guitars, while thom played bW 2-3 songs. that looked pathetic to me!! i remember thinking, damn, if i were a guitarist in that band, adn i were sitting on my ass during a show, i'd be pissed. it was embarrasing to watch. only thom was doing anything. esp.for a 3 guitar band. sounds to me that ed is living in denial. sure, he won't be replaced, but how much does he really contribute to the songwriting?

so
they won't ever be replaced...
but they'll be assigned to their "timeout" spots in the corner of the stage
enjoy

helloktkat
06-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by mojo
surely the major difference between the two bands is thom yorke's intimate and longstanding creative relationship with johnny greenwood who is an exceptional guitar player which much as we love him james was not.

and billy has jimmy
which phil is not