View Full Version : how did you housetrain your doggies?

SilverSomatic
06-09-2003, 01:58 PM
helpful hints, anyone? I have a 12-week-old golden retriever. How do I get him to understand that he has to let me know when he needs to go? No matter how closely I watch him, he still manages to sneak it out somewhere.... damnit.

Travis Meekz
06-09-2003, 01:59 PM
I repeatedly pooped on him until he got the hint

sickbadthing
06-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Deja vu.

toyschoketoys
06-09-2003, 02:07 PM
If he shits on the floor rub his nose in it : honesty : its the way they learn not to

cap'n jazz
06-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by thestreetsarehot2night
If he shits on the floor rub his nose in it : honesty : its the way they learn not to

:erm

silent1
06-09-2003, 02:10 PM
i usually kick em in the teeth and then i say "what the fuck is wrong with you? i don't shit in your dog house!! do you not understand english?" and then when he doesn't answer i pour gasoline on his back and set him ablaze. but only for a couple minutes. otherwise i might get in trouble or something. at least that's what i heard.:confused:

guz
06-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by thestreetsarehot2night
If he shits on the floor rub his nose in it : honesty : its the way they learn not to that's part of it.

when the puppy goes where you don't want 'em to, you put their face right up to it and tell them no, no....but in a somewhat encouraging tone. then, of course, when they go outside or wherever it is you want them to, you tell them good boy/girl, etc.

don't hit them, don't yell at them.

yeah whatever
06-09-2003, 02:49 PM
poop on the floor next to your doggie and then have your mom berate you in front of him.

mpp
06-09-2003, 03:16 PM
animals should not be in your house anyway

having pets that live inside the house w/ people is quite a strange idea, don't you think?

SilverSomatic
06-09-2003, 03:54 PM
well, the idea is that he's in my house so I'm not alone. I love my dogs.

we used to rub their noses in it... but this book I read said that was actually a bad idea... that they won't make the connection that doing it inside is bad... they'll just think they were punished for going, period. It also said that dogs won't remember it 2 minutes later, since it's so trivial to them.... so any assumption that they look guilty or even remember going is generally not true.

grrrrrrr.

guz
06-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by SilverSomatic
well, the idea is that he's in my house so I'm not alone. I love my dogs.

we used to rub their noses in it... but this book I read said that was actually a bad idea... that they won't make the connection that doing it inside is bad... they'll just think they were punished for going, period. It also said that dogs won't remember it 2 minutes later, since it's so trivial to them.... so any assumption that they look guilty or even remember going is generally not true.

grrrrrrr. not rubbing their noses IN IT, but making it clear to them what you're pointing out..along with the "no, no, no". you have to also tell them when they've done right.

i worked both at a vet's office as well as for a dog trainer in the past. it's been the most successful method based on everyone i'd talked to.

it's not going to happen overnight.

SilverSomatic
06-09-2003, 04:01 PM
yeah.... no, I don't expect it to. But soon would be nice. :p

ammy
06-09-2003, 04:16 PM
i just did this, it took a long time for me to find a method that would work.

telling them it's bad and rubbing thier nose in it etc. is BAD - don't do it.

I know it sounds evil, and it's hard to cope with doing for a while (i was really really against doing this before i actually tried) but crate training is one of the best ways, it helps house training as well as many other things.

There is tons of literature on it online, just look up "crate training"

I spent untill molly was about 9 months trying everything BUT crate training.. and then I finally gave in.. two weeks later, she was housebroken (granted she had to be let out very often or she wouldn't be able to hold it, that's something that takes a while for them to learn in it's own, and to grow to have a big enough bladder)

She sleeps in her crate, it's a comfortable place for her, it's helped control how hyper she is, she's much better now.. and just in general is a very very good idea. I support it, as long as you do it in a healthy, and nice way for the dog.

and if you look up crate costs, don't be daunted, TRUST ME it's SO worth the time, effort, stinkyness and paper towels you will save. - and it doubles as a doggie bed

SilverSomatic
06-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Yay! I am crate training him. :)

one of the biggest myths is that crates are cruel. Dogs look for dens of sorts by instinct. They come to love their crates. My other dog goes and rests in hers of her own accord.

Jake peepees in his crate, though. :( every once in a while. He won't poo in it, but now and then he does pee. damnit.

ammy
06-09-2003, 04:21 PM
oh oh, and he will not learn to tell you he needs to go for a long time, you need to let him out every 2-4 hours (longer as he gets older) untill he does learn, supposably the average time for them to learn to ask is around a year or so.. so you just have to be there all the time.

Helena Handbasket
06-09-2003, 05:39 PM
It took a few months to get my dog housetrained, but it finally happened. We didn't rub his nose in it, we'd hold his face really close and say "NO. BAD DOG!!" and put him outside, and praise him and give him a treat when he went outside.

He finally stopped going in the house, but didn't know to tell us when he wanted out.. he'd just do his stuff when we'd let him out every few hours. But not too long after, he started scratching at the door when he wanted out. We didn't want him scratching the door all up, so when that was a problem, we just wouldn't open the door for him until he'd speak. So now when he wants out, he'll run in the room all excited like, stand there and wag his tail and wait for you to acknowledge him.. then he'll start barking. I'll say "outside?" and he'll look really excited that I know what he's talking about and run to the back door.

Rima
06-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Helena Handbasket
and he'll look really excited that I know what he's talking about

That qoute right there sounds so cute.

mewl
06-09-2003, 07:50 PM
You can't get mad at your dog if they do it and then you discover it like 30 minutes later, cos they won't understand why you're mad. You have to catch them in the act. Even though it's pretty tiring, it's really good to take your doggie outside every 30 minutes or so. When they go potty you give them lots of praise and love. They'll eventually get that it's good to go outside, but not so good on the inside. You can use treats too, but only on occasion cos dogs tend to get stubborn and not listen to a word you say unless you have a biscuit. It's a hard job! But totally worth it in the end.

Oh yeah, don't rub your dog's nose in shit. You force their nose up to it. You can rub it in piss, though. Shit is dirty. Ick.