View Full Version : Rip off of "Rhinoceros"

cutoutwitch
06-05-2003, 05:51 PM
I don't know how many of you have heard of the band Flickerstick before, but they were on that VH1 show where the bands battled it out a couple of years ago. Anyway, this guy at work plays their cd all the time. There is a song called "Coke" (I think). At the end of it he sings "And she knows, she knows, she knows.............." over and over again. Just like in Rhinoceros. Everytime I hear it I cringe, because I know he had to have taken it from that song. Has anyone heard it?

D.
06-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Hyperbole
go download Bif Naked's "Daddy's Getting Married". do it. tell me your thoughts.
lol

i think that's the most blatant rip off EVAR.

Reyngel
06-05-2003, 10:29 PM
I just downloaded it...

lol. That is so fuckin hilarious. Has Billy ever publically said anything about how that is such a fucking ripoff of Today? It's almost like she's doing it on purpose...

Reyngel
06-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Sorry, I just had to post again about this. Even the fuckin drums are identical, lol. I did a search and came across a post on a Biff Naked message board about this topic, and they all turned on the guy who posted. They're like "it sounds nothing like it, and even if she did take it, so what, haven't you ever heard of inspiration?"

Such bullshit, lol. Take away all that sounds like Today in that song, and all you're left is some shitty ass vocals with lines like "things like this happen to me." lol.

Fathoms (unadored)
06-05-2003, 11:05 PM
I doubt Billy has ever heard of Miss Naked!

On theme with this topic...

Not a rip off, but definate similarities...

Cemetary-Silver Chair w/ Disarm
Emotion Sickness-Silverchair w/ Tonight Tonight

Home by Econoline Crush came out in 97 I believe, it has alot in common w/ TEG!

Vulva
06-05-2003, 11:47 PM
go download Bif Naked's "Daddy's Getting Married". do it. tell me your thoughts.

:eek:

Eulogy
06-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Abandoned Pools - L.V.B.D. = TEG

andysong
06-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored)
I doubt Billy has ever heard of Miss Naked!

so fucken true

Ugly
06-06-2003, 12:48 AM
My roommate used to listen to that flickerstick song constantly and I would always think durring the "she knows" part like "Damn, he's listening to Rhino! Sweet!" This happened about 17 times over the course of the year.

Still, its a catchy song either way. I dig that "I'd like to buy the world a coke" part. But the ending is way too Rhino for my tastes.

Maybe, since its so fucking similar, it wasn't a rip off but a homage. . .

cherry
06-06-2003, 01:27 AM
lol, bif naked even says "today is the big day" at the corresponding part of the song...absolutely hilarious

stumpycat
06-06-2003, 01:29 AM
What about Collective Soul? They'd fall into the 'repeat offender' category, I believe.

Shine = Drown

one of those songs they had around 1996 or so (Breathe, I think?) = a toned-down version of Cherub Rock

Then, right about/after the time the Pumpkins release Machina, Collective Soul releases Machine and I'll be damned if the first single "Blender" doesn't sound just like "The Imploding Voice". Seriously, what the hell?

The Verve Pipe did that song "Villians" which basically sounds like the soft Part of Starla.

The beginning of that new Chili Peppers song is most definitely Cherub Rock.

Then there is that Tori Amos song that reminds of of "Obscured".

El Savior
06-06-2003, 01:36 AM
goatse.

Johnny_Swallow
06-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by stumpycat

Sure.

Injektilo
06-06-2003, 10:30 AM

Then, right about/after the time the Pumpkins release Machina, Collective Soul releases Machine and I'll be damned if the first single "Blender" doesn't sound just like "The Imploding Voice". Seriously, what the hell?

oh yeah, that one is incredibly close to Imploding Voice. I mean, TIV is a pretty simple song, but still...

stumpycat
06-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow

Sure.
You really don't see similarities between the very beginning of the new Chili Pepper song and the beginning of Cherub Rock? I wasn't talking about the whole song--just that beginning part.

El Savior
06-06-2003, 07:44 PM
everything sounds like everything. nothing's new.

Fathoms (unadored)
06-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by El Savior
everything sounds like everything. nothing's new.

yeah. especially when you're aware that the forumula for a typical song by most bands is "verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus chorus, slow verse, chorus, chorus" or some veriation there of. Mind you, Blink 182, SR71, Gob, Treble Charger and Sum41 are completly interchangable. Which isn't the case, usually.

Its all about the style and histrionics of any given song I suppose. While were talking of Collective Soul. There song Listen reminds me of Cherub Rock with Bury Me's second solo. Shine is very CR, Drown, and Rocket-ish. There song heavy, which came out years ago has alot in common with TEG.

DeviousJ
06-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by andysong

so fucken true

No it isn't

In other news, try Suffocate by King Adora and listen to the chorus

stumpycat
06-07-2003, 12:08 AM

Its all about the style and histrionics of any given song I suppose. While were talking of Collective Soul. There song Listen reminds me of Cherub Rock with Bury Me's second solo.
Yeah, that's the one.

Ghetto_Squirrel
06-07-2003, 02:56 AM
That Bif Naked cover is horrid. Holy shit. She had a decent foundation to steal from, so I don't know how she managed to fuck it up so badly.

wounded
06-07-2003, 10:35 PM
if you can download a live version of howie day's ghost. usually live he tags on a song called beams of light. i swear it is the opening today riff speed up really fast.

he is one a man show though and uses a lot of loops, so it is quite possible that this is done on purpose. my roommate denies it, but i sweat it is today.

sawdust restaurants
06-07-2003, 11:03 PM

+|-|3Y B0+|-| |_|z3 5+R1|\|G2

+|-|3Y |\/||_|5+ B +|-|3 54|\/|3 20|\|G!

DeviousJ
06-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

+|-|3Y B0+|-| |_|z3 5+R1|\|G2

+|-|3Y |\/||_|5+ B +|-|3 54|\/|3 20|\|G!

I think he meant the kinda triplet emphasis on each chord change during the intro parts, and the arpeggiated verses. I can see similarities, I just don't think they're alike

sawdust restaurants
06-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
I think he meant the kinda triplet emphasis on each chord change during the intro parts, and the arpeggiated verses. I can see similarities, I just don't think they're alike

Yeah, but lots of songs fit that description. The only reason people always bring up "Emotion Sickness" is because it uses strings.

MstrGhost
06-07-2003, 11:49 PM

You really don't see similarities between the very beginning of the new Chili Pepper song and the beginning of Cherub Rock? I wasn't talking about the whole song--just that beginning part.

I also agree with you

the_marked
06-08-2003, 05:21 PM

cause there's a violin?

the_marked
06-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

No it isn't

In other news, try Suffocate by King Adora and listen to the chorus

HOLY SHIT
i cant believe that man
i thought the only 'rip-off' that actually sounded like a rip-off on this page was the bif naked song
but man, can you get anymore stand inside your love?

wangcomputers
06-08-2003, 07:29 PM
hummer = i want you - 3 colours red
disarm = zombie - the cranberries.

Gary
06-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Dead Star by Muse seems to be very Silverfuck/Jackboot "influenced".

Hughzims
06-09-2003, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored)
[B]I doubt Billy has ever heard of Miss Naked!

On theme with this topic...

Those silverchair songs sound nothing like them. Silverchair don't even listen to the SP. :hurl:

Hughzims
06-09-2003, 12:13 AM

rip rip rip rip rip rip rip rip rip OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cretin Soup
06-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Gary
Dead Star by Muse seems to be very Silverfuck/Jackboot "influenced".

Yeah but it's awesome so they're allowed.

severin
06-09-2003, 09:48 AM
listen to one of the new live-versions of heartsongs by zwan...the drums and one of the guitars (matt's i think) are totally tonight, tonight...he's ripping himself off menawhile :D

Shattered
06-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by wangcomputers

disarm = zombie - the cranberries.

:confused:

*Confusion*

Liek..not even!

Reyngel
06-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by severin
listen to one of the new live-versions of heartsongs by zwan...the drums and one of the guitars (matt's i think) are totally tonight, tonight...he's ripping himself off menawhile :D

Zwan itself is a ripoff of SP.

wangcomputers
06-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Shattered

:confused:

*Confusion*

Liek..not even!

the melody is different, but the chords are exactly the same.

Spaceboy917
06-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

Yeah, but lots of songs fit that description. The only reason people always bring up "Emotion Sickness" is because it uses strings.

No. The structure of the song is similar...the prodution, performance and distinctive anthematic quality to is similar too...though I do feel he song stands on its own well.

Pieces
06-09-2003, 07:21 PM

I've seen that video 100 times before, but today when I saw it I thought the exact same thing, I was waiting for the distortion to kick in and James to start building up the sound.

Well, I honestly don't think that is intentional at all. I'm not a big fan of RHCP at all, but they do have their own style.

Nimrod's Son
06-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
Abandoned Pools - L.V.B.D. = TEG The whole world has gone acronym crazy.

upror
06-09-2003, 10:23 PM
every once in awhile, a song comes along with a riff that sounds VAGUELY like cherub rock - the chorus is usually different, so it's not a big deal.

that def naked thing tho: DAMN

thebaconpress
07-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Bump and question!

What song was it that Our Lady Peace did the Billy had a problem with?

I remember him saying something along the lines of "We are still looking for Our Lady's Peace's phone number" when being asked about bands keeping the old Pumpkins sound alive in a 98 Much Music interview.

disslunker
07-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Hughzims
Those silverchair songs sound nothing like them. Silverchair don't even listen to the SP. [/B]

i probably overlooked the sarcasm, but didnt that anorexic guy from silverchair have an SP heart on his guitar for a while?

btw, he can rip off any band he pleases; he is fucking hot.

oclaftap
07-01-2003, 11:20 PM
I think the "zero" riff is a ripoff of nirvana's "big cheese" but its still a good song

MstrGhost
07-02-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by wangcomputers

the melody is different, but the chords are exactly the same.

The intro always reminded me of today :o

Injektilo
07-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by thebaconpress
Bump and question!

What song was it that Our Lady Peace did the Billy had a problem with?

I remember him saying something along the lines of "We are still looking for Our Lady's Peace's phone number" when being asked about bands keeping the old Pumpkins sound alive in a 98 Much Music interview.

he didn't say any specific song, just something like "we'd like to thank them for keeping our older music alive"

DeadOpera
07-02-2003, 11:44 AM
i think billy thought OLP was ripping him off. on the summersault tour he didn't say anything but good stuff about OLP.

What about I mother earth, i thought some of their stuff sounded kinda pumpkins style.
maybe he got those two bands confused.

waffleface
07-02-2003, 11:55 AM
i agree with the silverchair emotion sickness / tonight tonight, abandoned pools lbvd (or wahtever it is) / TEG, and there's another abandoned pools song that sounds very similar to zero.

Gary
07-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by waffleface
i agree with the ... abandoned pools lbvd (or wahtever it is) / TEG, and there's another abandoned pools song that sounds very similar to zero.

That's probably no coincidence, The main guy behind that band (Tommy someone I think) is a big Corgan fan. Maybe that explains why I like Abandoned Pools.