View Full Version : Billys Recommended Books?

Recast As Child
06-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Can anyone remember the books that Billy recommended to us on one of his last posts on the O-board just after the band broke up?

Thanks!

My Bootlist (http://domsbootlist.tripod.com)

Recast As Child
06-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Can't check the official board cos it's gone! I remember he recommended an author called Philip K Dick and I'm reading one of his books at the moment and it's really good. Someone out there must remember the other authors/books Billy recommended...

Salena Child
06-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Hyperbole
The Bible

jack_kerouac03
06-04-2003, 01:37 PM
on the road - jack kerouac
the sun also rises - hemmingway
the scanner darkly - philip k dick

D.
06-04-2003, 03:47 PM

Memoirs of a Geisha (very good book)
i second the fact that it's a good book.
granted i did start reading it because billy reccomended it, but it's a good book nonetheless.

D.
06-04-2003, 05:24 PM

He was kidding about the Bible.
looking back at it and seeing zwan, maybe he wasn't!

Cassius
06-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by David

looking back at it and seeing zwan, maybe he wasn't!

Did he mention god even once in all of the pumpkins stuff :confused:

*its late here, if iv made a glaring omission blame that, oh, for martha had hints.....

sarasvati
06-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Cassius

Did he mention god even once in all of the pumpkins stuff :confused:

Well, considering the fact that there is a song called God .... :erm

luna_pumpkin
06-04-2003, 11:18 PM
here are the books Billy recommended in one of his O-board posts:

"16. Will you offer the disenchanted youth of america some words (or a book!) of advice?
can't help with your depression but can recommend some authors and books...one huge influence on my thinking has been philip k. dick (valis, the divine invasion, the scanner darkly)...also see william s. burroughs (the naked lunch, the soft boys, nova express)...someone recently turned me onto ken wilber (the spectrum of consciousness) who is just an incredible thinker, and has really helped me to see the world thru different eyes...also i've been reading ernest hemingway (the sun also rises)...you can never go wrong with jack kerouac (on the road, dharma bums)...i also recommend j.g. ballard (crash) or william gibson's last book, i can't think of the title right now... "

well, I've just read 'the sun also rises' and 'the spectrum of consciousness', I loved both of them...now Im reading 'on the road'...

Brandont_h
06-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by luna_pumpkin
here are the books Billy recommended in one of his O-board posts:

"jack kerouac (on the road, dharma bums)"

Hey, I just bought On The Road last week or so. . . It's good so far. Feels familiar, in a way.

-Brandon

Reyngel
06-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by sarasvati

Well, considering the fact that there is a song called God .... :erm

lol.

Don't forget Jesus is the Sun, Jesus Loves his Babies, With Every Light, Zero, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Ava Adore, Quiet...

...the list goes on and on.

stumpycat
06-05-2003, 02:48 AM
You don't have to be a Christian to be educated in/read biblical or other religious texts. I would assume that Billy has read at least parts of the bible out of general interest. Whatever one's personal beliefs are, it's a very historically significant and important text if only for the fact that it shaped the evolution of the modern western world. Becoming educated in a subject doesn't necessarily mean that you equate yourself with that particular set of beliefs. I'm sure he's also read up on hinduism, buddhism, etc. Billy seems to think alot about spirituality, whatever that may encompass for him.

I wish I could remember what James recommended on the 'Word for Word' segment from that 1998 Intimate and Interactive interview. I've got it on tape though I can't be arsed to look it up right now.

Cassius
06-05-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Reyngel

lol.

Don't forget Jesus is the Sun, Jesus Loves his Babies, With Every Light, Zero, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Ava Adore, Quiet...

...the list goes on and on.

Whoops, ill lay off the JD and Coke next time :erm

:)

D.
06-06-2003, 04:52 AM
way to state the obvious