View Full Version : Do your parents like the Smashing Pumpkins?

Squashing Pineapples
05-31-2003, 11:45 PM
My father loves it! He even had taped tapes of it! :D
I think my mom just like their hits like 'disarm', 'tonight, tonight' and these slower/beautiful songs.

MstrGhost
05-31-2003, 11:50 PM
My father enjoys their softer stuff, he actually finances my vinyl collection :D

bornentertainer
06-01-2003, 12:27 AM
My parents tolerate them.

shaniqua
06-01-2003, 01:02 AM
no. but my aunt linda thinks james is hott. then again, she also thinks lyle lovett's hott.

zoodboog
06-01-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Squashing Pineapples
http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/features/e32k3samnmax-s.gif
YES

Salena Child
06-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by bornentertainer
My parents tolerate them.

cap'n jazz
06-01-2003, 11:27 AM
i don't really listen to them at all any more.

MonteLDS
06-01-2003, 11:36 AM
my mom bought the James Iha CD and so did my sister. that as close to SP as they get.

But they don't hate them. They like them for the most part or maybe just are numb to it

Mooney
06-01-2003, 12:09 PM
i don't think either of my parents would recognize any pumpkins songs. but i'm quite certain that they would know that they are my favourite band.

twilightfadez
06-01-2003, 12:15 PM
they know who they are
they really don't like them....although my has told me that she think some of Billy's acoustic songs are kinda nice :erm

Toby
06-01-2003, 01:47 PM
My mom likes: Disarm, Today and TT
and my dad hates B0lly's voice :(

Dead
06-01-2003, 03:17 PM
"I don't want to come home from work and have to hear that angry shouting."

"I like that song, Tonight's The Night."

^I guess my dad needs to make up his mind.^ :rolleyes:

pale blue eyes
06-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Mooney
i don't think either of my parents would recognize any pumpkins songs. but i'm quite certain that they would know that they are my favourite band.

Cretin Soup
06-01-2003, 08:02 PM
My Dad had the Disarm cd single before I even knew who SP were and he thinks Zero is awesome. Apart from that he's neither here nor there.

machinaddict
06-01-2003, 08:11 PM
I doubt my parents could recognize any songs and I doubt they know sp are my favorite band.
oh well.

sarasvati
06-01-2003, 08:14 PM
my parents love the pumpkins.... and they're pretty used to hearing the music, seeing as they've listened to it for the past 10 years now...heh.

Gary
06-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Voted other.

My Mum likes some stuff (Totally loves Cherub Rock for some reason), yet hates Billys voice in songs like Tonight, Tonight.

My Dad on the other hand believes music died when Blondie stopped making it, so therefore doesn't care about any music from the mid 80's onward.

andysong
06-01-2003, 09:02 PM
I have a tape in my dads car full of sp stuff, its a mix of the softer + harder songs, my dad likes most of the songs, he gets mad if I wanna skip through a song. He hasn't bought any of the cds or anything, but he listens to that tape whenever he's driving, he is a big fan of 1979 and galapagos.

The Pantsmaster
06-01-2003, 10:37 PM
my mom absolutely loves 1979, i bought her the single for christmas a couple years ago. My dad likes the heavier stuff.

sarmatianus
06-01-2003, 11:56 PM
My parents never really were exposed to it, because I didn't start getting into it until college. When I used to play it in the car when they happened to be with me, though, my mother hated it - "it's just noise" (I guess she doesn't understand guitars post-Hendrix) and my father was disinterested, though I suspect he just didn't think it was his place to say anything. A one-time brief perusal of the Greatest Hits DVD while at their house went about the same.

mirrar
06-02-2003, 12:20 AM
my dad is indifferent. my mom likes adore.

relaxor!
06-02-2003, 01:35 AM
My parents love them. My mom has Adore, Siamese Dream and MCIS, a poster and a t-shirt. Plus she loves old Billy. My dad thinks they're really, really good but likes other bands of mine more; Radiohead and Dinosaur Jr are examples.

oui henri
06-02-2003, 04:49 PM
my dad hates "that Billy Corgan" b/c of all the shit i've dragged my dad through to get to their shows

haha

Ghetto_Squirrel
06-02-2003, 07:14 PM
My parents haven't heard them, but I'm sure that my mom would claim that she's a huge fan. Ugh.

obscured01
06-03-2003, 08:02 AM
<font color="DAB9E8">I used to torture my mother with them. Anytime we'd have a "project" like painting the walls/wallpapering etc. I'd always put them on and she'd always whine about it. Except for My Blue Heaven, she wanted me to burn that song off for her.
</font>

mpp
06-03-2003, 10:46 AM
my dad always asking why billy fell off after "1979"

he always says "billy only had one good song"

and he also calls SP the "crushing tomatoes"

he's a nut...but he likes good music (imo) - his only CD's in his car are a mix i made for him of nirvana, the who and live pearl jam and led zep I and III

Age Of Empathy
06-03-2003, 10:53 AM
My dad likes no Pumpkins at all. My mom likes most of their softer songs.

Reyngel
06-03-2003, 01:42 PM
My parents are slightly into them, but mainly because I am. They appreciate most of everything I appreciate out of respect, I guess.

TiaraGurl
06-03-2003, 02:59 PM
My mom came to the 97 tibet house benefit with me to see Billy. She has said to me " I don't understand it but I respect it."

I think she thinks my talking about it all the time in the past allowed her to be cool since she missed outon/did not particpate in anything similar in her youth.

D.
06-03-2003, 04:32 PM
my dad likes a few hits, Disarm and Bullet. he once said they remind him of black sabbath.

my mom likes church music.

D.
06-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by shaunna
no. but my aunt linda thinks james is hott. then again, she also thinks lyle lovett's hott.
i have an aunt linda too. SMALL WORLD.

mellon_c0llie
06-03-2003, 05:43 PM
My Mom can tolerate most of the hits but totally hates zero, so i generally skip over it.

My Dad likes adore a bit. He doesn't listen to it a lot, but there have been times when i've seen it in the cd player.

it's funny cause when they premiered the ava adore video on mtv they had a bunch of dads reviewing it and they all seemed to like it. I think the album has a more mature overtone.

jamesey
06-04-2003, 01:27 AM
my parents went to the phoenix showing of the sacred and profane tour. I didnt even tell them to go, they just did. i didnt even know they were going until the day of the show. i wasnt even there with them. i was in california at college.

Shattered
06-04-2003, 02:00 AM
My mom likes some of their softer songs like Lily, Stumbleine and Thirty Three..and on one occasion she even sang along with Zero.. "Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness, and cleanliness is godliness, and God is empty just like me.."

My grandmother loves Disarm. She always ranting about how it makes her cry.

Reyngel
06-04-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by jamesey
i wasnt even there with them.

Damn, that's tight!

Jesse Miller
06-04-2003, 12:23 PM
My dad hates them... He says Billy Corgan sounds like a dying cat (he's right, y'know).

My mom, on the other hand, owns Gish, Siamese, Machina, Adore, MCIS, and The Greatest Hits, and she's been meaning to get MSotS. Her favorite is Adore, but she goes through Gish and Siamese moods every now and then; she doesn't listen to Machina or MCIS very often. She saw SP at the Minneapolis show on the Machina Tour (No, I didn't sit with her :p I was on the floor, she had her own ticket in the balcony). She's like 50, btw.

echothatislove
06-04-2003, 05:36 PM
I voted other because my dad likes 1 song and my mom is indifferent. We were in the car one day with my dad and I was playing a mix CD and he has never really cared about or commented on any of my music. When 1979 came on he was like... "What is this?" I told him... and he said he liked it... I was like wow, he likes one of my songs, lol. He eventually stole that mix CD when I was done with it too.

misanthrope
06-05-2003, 01:54 PM
i think my father secretly does despite the fact he says "billy corgan" in the most annoying voice ever.
when my grandparents would visit, my grandfather would refer to them as the "smashing squash"

on an unrelated note, my little brother wrote a story about sp when he was like in 4th grade. he forgot james' last name, so improvised with "woo". yeah, as in james woo.