View Full Version : Mike Garson.

Glare Seethe
05-30-2003, 02:46 PM
I've seen a lot of hate for Mike Garson on this messageboard and I'm really curious as to why, cause I really enjoy his playing on the SP tours (and on other occasions, too) and think he contributed a lot.

So what's with all the hate? The only thing I can think of is that his playing may seem too self-indulgent and over-the-top sometimes. Is that it?

shaniqua
05-30-2003, 02:48 PM
the second-last show and the european shows have all sorts of piano wankery that took away a lot of james' parts. there lies my hate for garson.

Glare Seethe
05-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by shaunna
the second-last show and the european shows have all sorts of piano wankery that took away a lot of james' parts.

Heh. Fair enough. Although the Adore tour had far more piano wankery than the Fall '00 tour... he was much more dominant in '98. And a lot of the aforementioned wankery should probably be credited to Chris Holmes, cause he was on synths and Garson was just on piano, I think.

I think. :\

Reyngel
05-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Well... I don't hate him, but, I do think that his piano improvisation clashed with the whole "Pumpkins" sound. It was cool to hear, but it didn't really match well.

mono
05-30-2003, 03:30 PM
http://www.soccerotago.co.nz/FarFlungKiwis/Wanka.jpg

:cheers:

DeviousJ
05-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Because the band changed songs and their overall sound just to give him something to do, and it just didn't work. Songs lost their dynamics and became boring, and he just WOULDN'T STOP. He was good on the Adore tour, but then it wasn't so much 'Mike Garson featuring Smashing Pumpkins'

pumpkinxyu
05-30-2003, 03:31 PM
the so-called "wankery" didn't take away from James' parts at all at the two shows i saw with Garson (1998-08-04 and 2000-12-02). i saw Garson with Bowie in '97 before i saw him with the Pumpkins, and i was very impressed even then, so i was thrilled to see him tour with my favorite band. i thought he really did some brilliant stuff on the Adore tour. the songs really took on a whole new personality because of the percussion and Garson's creative approach to the piano parts. as for the last shows (and the 2000 European tour), i thought he did a great job once again. there's an undeniable chemistry between Garson and the Pumpkins. he's a musician from an entirely different generation who truly respected the Pumpkins for what they were doing with music. i hope that Billy works with Mr. Garson again in the future. and for anyone who would like to hear Mike Garson's genius outside of the Pumpkins sound, the first thing i would suggest listening to is the song "Aladdin Sane" by David Bowie, which features the best piano solo ever. no joke. truly chilling.

shaniqua
05-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by pumpkinxyu
2000-12-02

thankfully he wasn't used much for this show and when he did come out, he was wayyy more subtle than usual.

Glare Seethe
05-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Hmm.

Overall, I like his playing, but I think it worked much better in '98 than in '00.

On the Adore tour they were going for something completely different, a different sound. That was why they hired two extra percussionists and why Lisa Germano (I think that was her name?) was supposed to play violin, too (anybody remember that and why it didn't work out?). I think Garson's playing complemented the songs and the arrangements very well and his frequent soloing, to me, didn't seem out of place or boring.

In 2000 it felt a bit like they were trying to force it. It didn't feel natural. They probably just told him "do whatever you want whenever you want" - gave him total freedom - based on how well it worked in '98 (although he did have some defined/composed parts back then), except this time it didn't work as well, I guess because... well, I don't know. They didn't completely re-arrange the songs like they did in '98, I think...

Hrm.

Eulogy
05-30-2003, 04:39 PM
He ruined Storytellers.

And uh...I didn't really notice him at the 11/29 show.

bonsor
05-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
He ruined Storytellers.yes. a potentially good appearnce on VH1 was totally VH1ified by Garson.

MonteLDS
05-30-2003, 05:04 PM
He ruined Storytellers.

twilightfadez
05-30-2003, 05:51 PM
He ruined Storytellers.

And uh...I didn't really notice him at the 11/29 show.

oh god yes. that show would've been so fucking cool if they would've taken out most of the piano solos

Boycott Graceland
05-30-2003, 06:39 PM
what the fuck was up with those late machina-era blank pages? they sounded like midis.

Glare Seethe
05-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland
what the fuck was up with those late machina-era blank pages? they sounded like midis.

Yeah, they completely butchered it. If I remember correctly, those were pre-recorded synths. I don't think anyone was actually playing it - for the S+P tour it makes sense, but they had two keyboardists on the Fall '00 tour so I don't know if those were samples as well.

In any case, they all sounded like shit, yeah.

Glare Seethe
05-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Actually, it doesn't make sense for the S+P tour either. Pre-recorded samples at live concerts never make any sense. Billy should've been playing and singing at the same time. Lame.

King of the Horseflies
06-02-2003, 01:33 AM
garson added some much needed depth to the pumpkin's hollow sound at the end of their dying career. cheers to mike.

TheJoker
06-02-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by King of the Horseflies
garson added some much needed depth to the pumpkin's hollow sound at the end of their dying career. cheers to mike.

It was much UNneeded. It changed who they were at that point.

DeviousJ
06-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by King of the Horseflies

Yeah, C-tuned guitars really need fleshing out

Ugly
06-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Glare Seethe
Actually, it doesn't make sense for the S+P tour either. Pre-recorded samples at live concerts never make any sense. Billy should've been playing and singing at the same time. Lame.

I assume you’re referring to Blank Page during the S&P tour shows. While I agree band’s shouldn’t entirely rely entirely on samples, I think it was interesting to do that for Blank Page cuz it freed him up and allowed for a lot more interaction with the audience. Moreso than if he was just sitting at a piano.

Glare Seethe
06-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Ugly
I think it was interesting to do that for Blank Page cuz it freed him up and allowed for a lot more interaction with the audience. Moreso than if he was just sitting at a piano.

Heh, maybe, I don't know. I have to rely on my recordings as I haven't witnessed such a performance in person, I dunno if I can comment on the crowd interaction thing. I guess you're right, although it is still quite lame to rely on samples (which you agreed with me on, so there's really no need for me to repeat this - but I will anyway)... it's okay to use them here and there, but in Blank Page the piano part is the entire song, really. And using a sample for 85% of the music is kinda lame, in my opinion.

Oh well.

sarasvati
06-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Personally, I liked a lot of what Mike Garson did. Oh well.

palidor
06-03-2003, 12:23 AM
HE WONT STOP TAPPING AWAY ON THAT PIANO

Elvis The Fat Years
06-03-2003, 02:16 AM
He ruined Storytellers.

Mr MacPhisto
06-03-2003, 02:29 AM
i loved those s+p blank page versions. they called it the pro-tools version. it was at the right position of the show. first song of the encore. they started up the pre-recorded music; and then billy, james, and jimmy go up on stage. it was perfect. another good time is when billy's dad comes up and plays on it at the aragon 4/15 show.

jack_kerouac03
06-03-2003, 02:31 PM
S+P blank page was fun to see. it kind of looked awkward, but it was fun. Billy being all Diva and walking across the page and doing Scott Stapp hand guestures. it was all about interacting with the audience.

Jesse Miller
06-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by jack_kerouac03
S+P blank page was fun to see. it kind of looked awkward, but it was fun. Billy being all Diva and walking across the page and doing Scott Stapp hand guestures. it was all about interacting with the audience.

Were you at the Northrop show?

King of the Horseflies
06-04-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by TheJoker

It was much UNneeded. It changed who they were at that point.

...and at that point they were rather boring. garson made it more interesting.

jack_kerouac03
06-04-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Jesse Miller

Were you at the Northrop show?

no, i moved out to california Jan 2000, so i saw all the S+P shows out there.

I moved back to MN in the summer though, and saw them up in winnipeg.

i have the northrup on cd, i love it when billy introduces Randy Moss on lead guitar lol