View Full Version : What seperates the pumpkins from other bands of the time?

Travis Meekz
05-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Easy to relate to maybe? I think the pumpkins should be musically remembered and respected for Corgansí lyrics. When I listen to pumpkins nowadays, I am still always amazed at how he wrote his songs. I know that his lyrics may not be as complex or artistically sound as other great lyricists but the way he was unique in writing his deepest feelings on paper will always stand out. This is the reason I still listen to the pumpkins, because every cd speaks to me, more than any other band I've ever heard. He writes of real life I guess real everyday feelings, but in a very intimate way.

I think this is why we are all still here also, and kind of close to each other, so long after the band peaked.

/end ramble

oui henri
05-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Travis Meeks

I think this is why we are all still here also, and kind of close to each other, so long after the band peaked.

and some of us just can't get away. no matter how many times we've tried.

;)

i need to get a life, or at least acknowledge the one that i have.

Travis Meekz
05-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by oui henri

and some of us just can't get away. no matter how many times we've tried.

;)

i need to get a life, or at least aknowledge the one that i have.

well I mean on the sp part of the board (and other boards, irc, hub) but not the general chat, that is a force far more sinister

oui henri
05-28-2003, 02:01 PM

but not the general chat, that is a force far more sinister
i like how you think

:cool:

Travis Meekz
05-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by oui henri

i like how you think

:cool:

:)

Smiley
05-28-2003, 02:27 PM
I know that his lyrics may not be as complex or artistically sound as other great lyricists

"artistically sound"? I'm not sure if I like that phrase.

But this is a good topic. I agree with what you said about Corgan's lyrics. But I think that's just because the main appeal of SP is the <i>emotion</i> found in the songs - most of which is focused around the lyrics. But the emotion is also found in the music, so let's not forget about that. Listen to MCIS (the song) or the Gravity demos... you can't possibly argue that lyrics are the only thing separating SP from other bands. Oh, and the way that the music interacts with the lyrics... in Ruby, for example.

And since the topic is about things that separate SP from other bands of the time, I guess I'd also have to say <i>variety</i> in music styles. In my opinion, the achievement of MCIS (the song) is <i>not</i> how daring it was to start off a rock album with a piano instrumental. Lots of bands can attempt variety like that... it's not hard. But the difference here, and the real achievement IMO, is that MCIS <i>doesn't</i> seem out of place on the album! So they managed to explore all sorts of styles, but nothing ever seemed out of place.

Also, their generosity towards fans, charities, etc. is worth mentioning, if we're talking about what makes them different. And their huge amount of songs, compared to many other bands of the 90's!

Glare Seethe
05-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Smiley
And their huge amount of songs, compared to many other bands of the 90's!

Yeah, no kidding. Billy's one prolific musician. What's even more curious, though, is that the great majority of these songs were good. Really good. The "quality over quantity" argument isn't as valid with the Pumpkins as it is with many other artists.

Regarding the lyrics, I'm one of those people who put far more emphasis on the music itself than on the lyrics, so this isn't as valid for me. I do like Billy's lyrics - for the most part - and at one point in my life I could identify with some of them, but I don't think it's ever been as important to me as the music. Moreover, if it wasn't for the music I think I'd find some of the songs unlistenable these days, just because the lyrics would be slightly... embarassing, in a way. It's for this reason that I can barely stomach listening to Nine Inch Nails anymore - Reznor's lyrics are so horribly embarassing that it's become painful to listen to. Billy's never really reached Reznor's level in terms of bad lyricism, though - and I'm not talking about the majority of the songs, anyway.

I agree about them being an incredibly varied band, too. I don't know many bands who could've pulled off something like X.Y.U. - that song is pure insanity. And even put it inbetween songs like Stumbleine and We Only Come Out At Night. They were a very adventurous band.

Reyngel
05-28-2003, 03:09 PM
I think, in all seriousness, a lot of the success behind the Pumpkins came from Billy's voice. It's very unique... and often it can have the same "metallic" sound of a guitar. Combined with the music, his voice sounds like a third guitar in some ways, and I think it allows the listener to more easily be lost in the music that way... that sort of intangible, subtle element. I think that's why Mary Star of the Sea(the song) was recorded the way it was. The main guitar riff patterns Billy's vocals, and it's almost like the two sounds are from the same source. The harmony that comes from his voice matching with different instrumental sounds is very appealing to the ear.

I also think a lot of it has to do with Billy just being very intelligent at creating riffs that people are really drawn to. Have you ever noticed that the riffs of groups like Nirvana, etc, all sound ordinary? Billy has a great ear for writing melodies and harmonies. Like the slow, building intro to Porcelina... the notes are dead-on perfect for the mood it's trying to create. And why do you think everyone always cheers when Billy enters that riff at the beginning of Tonight, Tonight... the one right as he's about to start singing? It's because it totally captures the mood.

And lastly, I think Billy is excellent at taking the concepts of songs of the 60's and adapting them to modern times. And by concepts, I mean lyrically. He's very smart about using emotional concepts that everyone can understand or relate to. And if he writes a song that's about something unique to him, you still share the feeling, since he's already established a connection with you. Some artists can scream about suicidal tendencies and so on, but that doesn't mean people really care to listen. But I think Billy does a good job of setting up the listener with a sense of credibility, and thus gets you on his side. That in turn provokes a great sense of loyalty. If you think about it... most people who loved SP in the past still love them today. How many artists can you say that about? SP lasted 13 years... far longer than most one-hit wonder bands.