View Full Version : SP cover at Silverchair show

Virex Kills
05-25-2003, 01:36 PM
The opening band for Silverchair, Red West, thought it would be a brilliant idea to brighten their shitty set with a Pumpkin cover.

The lead singer introduced it as "a song by a band called The Smashing Pumpkins" - the crowd cheered a lot.

It was the shittiest version of 1979 ever. Worst than that crappy industrial tribute album version. "and iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii dont even care" sounded like Whitney Houston.

A lame excuse to rip off lyrics if you ask me.

Silverchair rocked.

Age Of Empathy
05-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Simon you bitch, why didn't you tell me you had tickets to Silverchair? I should have gone to that.

Anyways, that's still pretty sweet that the opening band did a TSP cover. The majority of opening bands I sit through are intolerable.

Sean Casey
05-25-2003, 04:39 PM
silverchair sucks

machinaddict
05-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey
silverchair sucks
fuck you

D.
05-25-2003, 04:41 PM
sean casey, you are correct.

Nothing/everything
05-25-2003, 04:41 PM
silverchair sucks

shaniqua
05-25-2003, 04:54 PM
LOL silverchair LOL

severin
05-25-2003, 05:01 PM
frogstomp is still the best debut album a bunch of 16 year olds ever put out

Nothing/everything
05-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by severin

Listen to shades of black by eastern lane (aged 16-20 iirc).

Ghetto_Squirrel
05-25-2003, 05:16 PM
silverchair sucks

Boycott Graceland
05-25-2003, 05:19 PM
silverchair sucks

sweet17
05-25-2003, 05:25 PM
silverchair did rock. and the red west's 1979 cover was taped on friday night. mp3 to come soon, if anyone's interested. thought it's asstacular.

Ugly
05-25-2003, 06:20 PM
was it just a half-assed version or did they just turn it all hardcore or punk or rock or something that pissed you off?

machinaddict
05-25-2003, 06:21 PM
I wore my homo-tacular zwan shirt to the first show and at the end one of my friends was waiting for an autograph from the red west and they saw me and called me over...apparently they are big zwan fans and want to tour with zwan. I thought they were pretty cool, 1979 wasn't great though...it could have done without the piano.
silverchair fucking owned, by the way.

Ghetto_Squirrel
05-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by machinaddict
apparently they are big zwan fans and want to tour with zwan.

Oh, good. Another reason not to like the band.

aspecialkid
05-25-2003, 09:30 PM
silverchair sucks

sweet17
05-26-2003, 09:29 AM
well, the singer's voice had little or no personality. the guitarist/pianist had the same picking/playing style for both instruments, so every song sounded the same. the piano in 1979 specifically was particularly repetitive and annoying. otherwise, it was slowed down so the song lasted forever and ever.

RobTheGood
05-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Silverchair DID rock on friday night.

I thought the cover for 1979 was really well done. I give a lot more credit to a band that will attempt THEIR style of music on a cover, rather then a straight up cover of a song.

It had a tinge of flake to it, but all and all it was nice to hear a completely different version.

oui henri
05-26-2003, 11:39 AM
i thought the version of 1979 sucked
and i wasnt' feeling Silverchair at all.
i was at the saturday show.

one song off of Frogstomp, 2 or 3 off of Freakshow and a few from Neon Ballroom. Everything was from the new album that i never bothered to buy.

I saw them in 1999 and it was FAR better than this.

Thank goodness for the bar.

Mason R Butler
05-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by severin
http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drd900/d955/d95548sv52g.jpg

bowmaan
05-26-2003, 06:40 PM
amen.

red cross for life.

Deege
05-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Silverchair? Those guys are still together?!:eek:

TheJoker
05-26-2003, 10:43 PM
i wish i could hear one thing tonite that is supportive of someting.

KingJeremy
05-27-2003, 12:07 AM
Silverchair's newest album is 10 times better than anything they have put out before.

Gumby
05-27-2003, 12:37 AM
People should cover snail instead of 1979

Mathboy
05-27-2003, 04:15 PM
I thought Daniel Johns had awful degenerative arthritis and could barely walk anymore. :confused:

Mason R Butler
05-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Mathboy
I thought Daniel Johns had awful degenerative arthritis and could barely walk anymore. :confused:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/01/1022569844582.html

I guess so. That kinda sucks. We don't hear this kind of news in America.

machinaddict
05-27-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Mathboy
He recovered late last year, he was bed-ridden for weeks at a time and couldn't hold anything in his hands for awhile. That's why there was no world tour for Diorama until now.

Bogart
05-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Holy Crap I can't believe someone of you dont' like Silverchair! Their new album is amazing. I mean it takes pop and hard rock music to somewhere that is huge. It is wonderfully orchestrated and arranged. Beautiful strings all over the album. Heavy riffs, heartfelt lyrics. It is like listening to a painting. Just an explosion of sound and color. I mean if you only own one silverchair album, this is the one. I mean it totally takes off from where Neon Ballroom left off. It takes the majesty of Emotion Sickness to A whole new level. It is great. Best album I have purchased in recent monthes. Go download some shit from it you will dig it i promise

shaniqua
05-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Bogart
Holy Crap I can't believe someone of you dont' like Silverchair! Their new album is amazing. I mean it takes pop and hard rock music to somewhere that is huge. It is wonderfully orchestrated and arranged. Beautiful strings all over the album. Heavy riffs, heartfelt lyrics. It is like listening to a painting. Just an explosion of sound and color. I mean if you only own one silverchair album, this is the one. I mean it totally takes off from where Neon Ballroom left off. It takes the majesty of Emotion Sickness to A whole new level. It is great. Best album I have purchased in recent monthes. Go download some shit from it you will dig it i promise

ok, silverchair street team!

TheJoker
05-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by shaunna

i lol'ed

machinaddict
05-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by shaunna

haha I tried to join that for the same reasons I joined the zwan street team...to abuse them for free promo merchandise, but silverchair refused to send anything to me! Cheap bastards.

oui henri
05-28-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by machinaddict

He recovered late last year, he was bed-ridden for weeks at a time and couldn't hold anything in his hands for awhile. That's why there was no world tour for Diorama until now. i'll never forget when the cancelled out on edgefest and cake filled in and ended up being bombarded by flying bottles while they were onstage.

they ended up walking off stage.

hahahha

machinaddict
05-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by oui henri
i'll never forget when the cancelled out on edgefest and cake filled in and ended up being bombarded by flying bottles while they were onstage.

hahahha
I was so bitter when they cancelled edgefest:mad:
If I had bothered going I would have pelted nearly every band with bottles, I think the other headliners were nickleback and not by choice.

yoshinobu's revenge
05-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel

Oh, good. Another reason not to like the band.

haha

mono
05-29-2003, 06:13 AM
It is like listening to a painting. Just an explosion of sound and color.

What the fuck? How am I supposed to "listen to a painting"? Is this not the stupidest metaphor ever??

Virex Kills
05-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by RobTheGood
I give a lot more credit to a band that will attempt THEIR style of music on a cover, rather then a straight up cover of a song.

Yeah.....so do i...when the cover doesnt SUCK ASS. I mean, seriously, they get 1 point for trying, but lose 10 at failing miserably.

As for Silverchair, I never liked them till my friend got me a ticket and I decided to listen to them so I would know the songs.

And to be honest, their live sound is incredible for a 3-part band. I thought they'd sound like they were playing in a tin can with only one guitar going, but instead it came out really clearly, unlike some other bands *cough* at times.

All in all...DIORAMA OWNZ.

Jesse Miller
05-30-2003, 01:33 PM
It is like listening to a painting. Just an explosion of sound and color.

http://images.allposters.com/images/33/018_3076.jpg
Too bad this is the painting...

Age Of Empathy
05-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by oui henri
i'll never forget when the cancelled out on edgefest and cake filled in and ended up being bombarded by flying bottles while they were onstage.

hahahha

yes that was wonderful. :rolleyes: The only remotely talented band boo'd off stage leaving shitty neo-grunge Canadian bands to play.

MstrGhost
05-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Gumby
People should cover snail instead of 1979

Nah, 17secs.

rawkstar
05-30-2003, 08:45 PM

i couldn't agree more. this is one of the best albums i've heard in the past 5 years. this album does not sound like their previous work...give it a listen

crescentfresh
05-31-2003, 10:34 PM
I went to the LA show

The Red West blew, the cover was especially bad

I wanted them to LEAVE UGH.

Oh. And Silverchair did a great job. i used to be obsessed with them. And Daniel looks good. Oh. God. Crotch throb.

They did a lot of neon Ballroom and Diorama. it sounded excellent. One of the best performances I have seen in a long time.

They literally gave me chills. They exteneded some songs and did beautiful different things with a few songs. It was so great.

Ugly
06-01-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Age Of Empathy

yes that was wonderful. :rolleyes: The only remotely talented band boo'd off stage leaving shitty neo-grunge Canadian bands to play.

not really, cake sucks balls and they were acting like assholes so those motherfuckers deserved to have thier shit smashed up. Personally I wished one of those gravel filled water bottles had hit the lead singer in the fuckin head and split his fucking head open. then he'd be dead and the world would be spared of thier bullshit forevermore.